Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #2255

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, I don't mind trying new things, my son drinks flavored coffee, no thanks just give me plain ole joe, LOL. well, off to flip some axles catch all later.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 AM   #2256

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have fun Terry, We are going to Patriot Point today and tour the USS Yorktown, Aircraft Carrier and a Destroyer that I don't remember the name. Then if there is enough time, Fort Moultier. Supposed to be in the 90/s today.
Have a good Day All.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #2257

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good afternoon, didn't finish flipping the axles for a friend he got the wrong spring perches, but its tore down waiting to weld tomorrow. Sooo I worked on the water system on mine, hooked up the water pump, hot water heater and started the baseboard also hooked up the fresh water tank and the monitor system. Frank, those ships are impressive, something I would love to see also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0520151546.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	94885   Click image for larger version

Name:	0521151657.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	94886  

Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #2258

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

It won't be much longer and you two will be taking the bikes for a ride and having your own bed to sleep in. Do you remember when you first saw the 5th wheel and you started thinking you could make something of it? Look where you are at now.

I have so enjoyed this thread. Thank you! Great job, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #2259

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lynne, Thanks, won't be long now and you'll be riding in your MH , so glad you were able to find one.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #2260

Winnebago Owners Club
Things are moving right along. I like the way you have the hot water and water tank close together.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #2261

Woo Hoo back in the saddle!opcor n:
When are you gonna break in the shower????

Did I ever tell you about taking showers in Death Valley ?
The water coming out of the underground pipes was hot enough to take a shower in without the heater , so I shut it off and used the water in it for my cold supply ! Endless showers in an RV! Who'd a thunk it ?
Everybody needs to try that out

I just got my water working today , but when I tried to turn on the water heater the knob wouldn't turn............just before I got out the vice grips I gave it a shot of WD 40 Hot shower comin' up !
I'll turn it back to pilot only ( old pre direct ignition heaters rule!) after it gets hot and that will keep it hot enough for a shower every day or so AND save a bunch of propane too!

I also dumped the tanks and they emptied completely , just some grey water left in the hose , easy peasy .

I'm still not level but the residential (dorm) fridge isn't so sensitive to being level as an RV fridge is so plugged it in ....even if it dies , I'll just get a new one (with 2 doors) for $165 at Wally's.

Have you decided what fridge you'll put in the TH yet?

AND the memory foam mattress I put in is pretty much self leveling , I just sink in till I'm perfect as always,,,,,love that stuff !

I start in at the boat house Saturday morning, had to go sit out front today and watch Loons and Gulls swim around (yeah , a lake next to the ocean) there was also a couple pairs of Canada Geese with goslings hanging out on the shore and some Mallards in one of the coves, man am I gonna hate this job !

The only thing that could spoil this scenery might be a couple of "Beach Whales" when the campers show up........
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #2262

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, looking good! The water tank looks kind of small? How many gallons is it? Just you two, so it will do I'm sure!
Popeye, sounds like you have a great place picked out, and I am envious! Something I always wanted to do, was workcamp, after I retired! Maybe someday after the DW retires?
It is a rainy day here so far, so the store is slow, as most of out business is from people on the little step thru scooters. It is nice to have a cool day, 88 for the high! We are at the start of rainy season, and it has rained every night but one for the last week. This is the first daytime rain we have had for awhile. I like the rain, but dislike the mosquitoes that comes along with it. Rail!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #2263

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, I'm trying to keep plumbing as compact as possible to minimize water loss. Popeye, that's kinda cool (hot) to get hot water out of the ground, We have narrowed the choice of fridge down to an Avanti residential. Too bad the beach whales show up to spoil the view . Rail, the water tank is 20 gal, not big but I don't have a ton of room where I needed to install, but with conservation it should work. I've been in rainy seasons overseas before in a tent, and without one too, at least it was warm for the most part. Hate mosquitoes too. well got to go weld up some axles, friend got the right parts. have a great day all.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #2264

Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good Terry,Don;t forget to leave access to the bypass valves on the water heater for winterization. Those ships are well worth the stop, I spent 4 hours going trough the carrier, destroyer and submarine. and probably could have spent a couple more. Then went to Fort Moultrey and spent a couple more.
RVpopeye,
Glad that you are getting things straightened out, now you can enjoy.
Rail,
Workcamping is ok as long as it doesn't become a job. We do it in the winter months, and itis 3 days a week, 4hr/day so it isn't a job. Some places want you to work 4 or 5 days and 6 or more hrs, that becomes a job real quick.
Lynne,
1 more sleep, Rita and I are getting excited for you and Jerry, so I can imagine how you are feeling.
Frank
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #2265

Winnebago Owners Club
Popeye. Your story about Death Valley brought back a memory.

Did a trip through Death Valley years ago in Feb/March. Friend and I were using a custom van for a ski trip. Had skied the areas around Lake Tahoe and was time to move on. Decided to drop south for a bit of a tour and then head over to Salt Lake City for more skiing.

The van had an ice box. Which we filled with some beers and being frugal would fill with snow from the snow banks to cool the beer. As we headed south the snow banks along the roads became smaller and smaller until they disappeared. Ice box ran out of ice so beers warmed up.

While travelling through Death Valley we stopped for a lunch break and decided to have a beer. Since the beers were warm and there was a small stream nearby I thought I would simply throw a couple beers in for a few moments to cool them off.

When I went back to get the now cooled beers imagine my surprise when I reached into the stream and it felt like I was going to burn myself. The water was very warm so the net result was the now really warm beer went back into the case and we had a lukewarm beer from the cooler. Needless to say we bought some ice at the next convenience store.

Rail - please send some of your rain here. I am watering every day and the bird baths are full of birds. In fact they are lining up to take their turn. We need about 3 - 4 inches of rain.

Curtis - if you can divert some of your rain we will take about the same amount from you please.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #2266

Rail
I've been workamping since '03 be glad to answer any questions.
Like Frank said , it can become a real job ! Done that !
Now , I'm careful to make sure any job I take is one that I can REALLY have fun and enjoy every hour , no matter how many .
So far the summer I spent at a theme park being the Captain of a Pirate Ship was the best one.....arrrrrggggghhhhhh....skuh kuh kuh kuh

Frank
There has been a steady line of rigs pulling in for MemorialDay wkend.
I was just going out to get in some entertainment watching some of them (try) to park and the sky opened up with some moderate rain......thinking of suiting up and going out anyway.

I've got one more day off before hitting the boathouse for a full 2 days , 10-6 ! Then it will be real slow again till the kids get out of school. Just the seasonals.

Terry
I've heard good things about the Avanti.
I saw that small fresh tank too , just figured it was the one you got with the donor rig. I have a 20gal in this rig too . Not small at all for just going down the road unless you are going to go boondocking , but you can always carry more on the tow or even in the toy garage if you do.

Gordon "cool" story .
You must have found a hot spring some folks like to soak in those , not me unless I need a bath .
The swimming pool at Furnace Creek Ranch was fed by the same natural spring as the CG water system and it was downright cold ! So I guess the hot water there was just from being in pipes just below the ground.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #2267

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good Afternoon, Frank, yes there will be access to the bypass valves ect. I am building an enclosure over the water heater and fresh water tank between the closet and the garage wall, it will be used for a flip out single bed. Gordon, that's just wrong to have water that hot and think your beer will be cold when you come back . Hope you guys get some rain soon, we are 5" below where we should be but not real bad yet. Popeye, boy some way to get broke in on your job, have a holiday weekend. he water tank did come with the donor FW, figured use it anyway, I've been thinking of putting a water tank in the Tow vehicle. Got friend's TH axles welded and ready to put back together. So I came home and cut the hole for the furnace and installed the door and mount for the furnace. Now I can put the interior walls up on that side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0522151614.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	94952   Click image for larger version

Name:	0522151622.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	94954  

Name:	0522151720.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	94955   Click image for larger version

Name:	0522151730.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	94956  

Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2268

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
Making good progress, I figured that you already had the access in your plans, but was just checking to make sure it wasn't an OOPS. You are getting things done that will show up very soon, it should start to show good results very shortly.
Frank