Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #2605

Hi Terry!

Just got done reading this thread last 3 days..... LOL a lot happened here!

Congrats on a great job, it looks wonderfull! My wife and I are also avid motorcyclist, I am a little over the top in that category. (don't tell Debbie I said that) We just traded our Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler we bought in 2005 new. You will really enjoy this TH when you are done.

Fantastic job, everything looks great. I will be following from here on in.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #2606

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, Welcome aboard!, Thanks jump in anytime.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #2607

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, remember the water on the floor conversation?, well I got the reefer today so checked to see if there was a drip pan............yup there is one that you can't remove, but there is a nipple that hangs down so there is now a hose for a drain. this before the hose install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0624151716.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	98226   Click image for larger version

Name:	0624151716a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	98227  

Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #2608

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - looking at the pictures I would say the TH would be worth every penny of the amount you suggest. I expect that seeing it in person would help increase the value.

It would be a number that I would put to the insurance folks. They will want an independent appraisal because of the year. Speaking of year:

I am wondering if you really want to register it as a 79. Consider registering it as a 2015 since you have rebuilt everything including the frame (running gear). In essence it is a new TH. There is so little left of the original that it really is not a Scamper. Here we can register it as a homebuilt and get a new serial number, etc.

If you are able to register it as a 2015 you could also name it whatever you decided. If you are going to paint new graphics on it you could then paint the registered "brand" name on it.

I am suggesting we get our heads together (figuratively) to give you and Eleanor ideas for a name for the unit. Something like MCCarrier, MCHauler, MCHome, TerNor, ElRy, Home Away, Toys R Here. More will come when we start getting responses from the group.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #2609

How about naming it after one of the classic Harleys ?
Soft Tail?
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #2610

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry, I would check on the homemade, knowing New York they will want their sales tax on the $60,000. I agree with that is what it will be worth, but I'm saying to be careful about how you register it to avoid additional taxes.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #2611

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry, I would check on the homemade, knowing New York they will want their sales tax on the $60,000. I agree with that is what it will be worth, but I'm saying to be careful about how you register it to avoid additional taxes.
Frank
Good point Frank. Never thought of that. Definitly worth checking out.

Here there would be no tax because you have already paid the taxes by purchasing the materials. If they were to charge you tax they would have to refund the tax you already paid.

No taxes on your own labor because of homebuilt.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #2612

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hummmmmmmmm???? A name for the TH?? This will take some thought? Already have one for the TV, soooooooo
Terry, do not forget the shut off for the drain line after it goes thru the floor, so that the ants don't have direct access inside!! Someplace easy to get to! It is coming together nicely! Rail!
PS, Frank has a good point, you will have to do some checking on the NY legality of all this, and the last thing you need is to have to pay a bunch of taxes on your hard work! If that is the case, you can name it ScamperII, and leave it a 1973?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 AM   #2613

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, Here too you can make a homebuilt trailer and get it reg. but there is weight restrictions (1000 lbs.) after that you have to take it to NYS DOT to get it inspected and it costs, I don't think (would need to check) they can charge sales tax because we did pay sales tax as we purchased the parts. If there is a way they would though. Frank, you bring up a good point, need to check. Rail, Good idea, a shut off will be installed now just need to remember to open it . Ed, will need to think on it.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #2614

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Thinking about the valve on the drain line, I understand about the ants, but a valve kind of defeats the purpose of the drain in the first place. What about a check valve towards the bottom of the line that would open with the weight of the water in the line, then close when it is done draining. Just another thought. Another would be like a sink faucet strainer , wouldn't keep the really small ants out but the majority of them anyways.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #2615

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, You bring up a good point, remembering to open and when might be a problem. I'll have to look thru my junk drawer seems like I remember some kind of screen for a carb that we used to take out because they would plug up hmmmm. Starting to install the reefer. Yes the door will open its not as close as it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0625151035.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	98301  
Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #2616

Winnebago Owners Club
Appears the door will open far enough to get out snacks and sodas so good enough. Certainly looks like it belongs there.

Suggestion for the fridge shelves - line them with the rubber shelf liner. I see they are now making rods to place at the front of the shelves to keep stuff from getting out, sort of like shower rods. Another thing is to make a restraint of some sort to keep the doors from coming open during travel.

Now to go out to cut the lawn. Or maybe do some weeding in the garden if it is dry enough.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #2617

Solo Rvers Club
Hey Terry, If you put about a 3" loop in that refer drain line it will act just like a plumbing trap once it has water/condensate in it. Plus don't have to worry about it plugging up or having to turn it on. JMHT
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #2618

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, The rubber liner is a good idea used that in my tool boxes for years, I've seen the rods for reefers too might be a good idea for the bigger stuff. I've seen door locks for residential reefers so I need to do some more research. Ken, such a simple fix , sounds like my kind.