Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #2745

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, I don't care for welding overhead ether I use a heavy leather coat and gloves and it still seems to find an opening . We are going to enclose the tanks and dump valves so hopefully in case of a failure they will be protected. I worked on big rigs for awhile and know how hard it is to put those fan belts on, good to get it done. Frank, yup two more checks off the list , I got the other tank in this morning. Now I need to see what I need to put the dump valves on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #2746

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good Afternoon, The waste tanks are in !! Dump valves are installed and the sensors wired. after my break I will go thru all the drains and make sure they are tight and install the toilet and we should be okay to go......really go. While I was at it I rebuilt the valves, no sense in taking a chance, the rebuild kits were only 5 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0712151639.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	99898  
Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #2747

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Terry and Eleanor, I have not posted before but i'm sure I am not the only one who has followed you along on this journey, that has not posted anything but have sat on the sidelines watching the progress. A bit about me I am a retired General Contractor who built houses and commercial buildings for many years. I have admired your work ethic and determination to finish a project of this size and scope. My buddy and I still share a wood shop and welding shop together and between the two of us we always seem to have something in the works. It is fun to sit back and watch the undertaking that you guys jumped into. Your TH has turned out amazing considering like most of us that usually when you start a project like this we say it will only be a few things but the end result is as you have so aptly titled it "TOTAL REBUILD". I know that you are nearing the end and before you realize it the day will come when there is no more list. Anyways I just wanted to say congratulations before its wrapped up and you guys are off on the road that I personally think it has turned out amazing. It takes a lot of get up and go to continue to work on things until its completely finished. And last but not least all the great advice received along the way has been awesome. I wish both of you guys years and years of happy camping. Ron
Bubbyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #2748

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron, thank so much for the kind words means alot. Jump in anytime. we filled and tested the tanks, no leaks and the dump valves work without hanging up or dripping, we ran water thru all the drains and all is good everything is dry, and the sensors all work, big check off the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0712151809a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	796.1 KB
ID:	99904  
Old 07-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #2749

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Ron, thank so much for the kind words means alot. Jump in anytime. we filled and tested the tanks, no leaks and the dump valves work without hanging up or dripping, we ran water thru all the drains and all is good everything is dry, and the sensors all work, big check off the list.
Great work Terry! Like Ron, I've followed along, you're part of my daily read on irv2 I've posted once before but would also like to give kudos to all the great work you've done (and of course your wife), the community you've fostered helping you move this along, the amount of input you've accepted to influence your rebuild, etc. It's just amazing to see it all come together and your total perseverance to finish.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #2750

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Looks great, and as usual you have done a superb job. Now finish the bathroom and take Eleanor ion a nice couple day ( or longer) shake down cruise so you guys can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #2751

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fantastic job, Terry and Eleanor! Great to see this portion of the job done!
Now, when it is time to jump into the CornFieldCaddy, well I just can't wait!! What motor does it have in it now? A V-8 International Diesel? If so, it will last a long time for you if only 30,000 miles on it. But not the most fuel efficient motors out there! You might start looking, (as I know you have, hehehe) for a turbo 5.9 cummins!!
A donor truck, with the right driveline, air ride suspension, just might be the ticket? Just spending your money!! Hehehehe!!
I'm sure Curtis is thinking the same as me? It's the Clac'er in us!
Ok, i'll stop spending your money now!! Rail!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 AM   #2752

Looks great Terry!

Have you thought about where you might go for the shake down run?

L.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #2753

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Carl, Thanks! when I started I had never posted anything and didn't know it would lead to the friendships it has forged and all the help that everyone has contributed . Frank, parts are on the way for the bathroom and the faucets for all the sinks ect. then I can fill and test the fresh water system. Lloyd, Eleanor is planning the trips and looking at places to go, not too far at first, staying in NYS for a couple of trips, maybe the Adirondacks. Rail, thanks, the Caddy has a V8 cornbinder mill, the plan was to take it and have it turbo'd, (its naturally aspirated now) but I'd like to find a DT 466 to swap in with a 5 or 6 speed auto. Curtis has a brownie that could be installed instead of an overdrive trany , thought of a 2 speed rear w/air ride, sooo many choices. well off to work. have a great day all
Old 07-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #2754

One BIG item finished ! looks great. I've never seen dump water that clean before , no matter how many times I rinsed !

Seems like a LOT of folks here think you are done , I think it wont be very long at all.
Then we're all going to fill a post box with these.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #2755

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Popeye, your right on the one BIG item done, but its really not finished yet, true, its almost to the point that we could use it, but I still have the solar to finish up, alot of trim, some more plumbing, (parts for that should be here this week) LOL, you coulda drank the water coming out of those tanks, (new tanks, clean water) but that's the last time I'd do that. Today is a multi task day, doing a bunch of small things, like bolting down the kitchen sink, removed the old bathroom sink, in prep to install the new one when it comes, putting a support on the one drain pipe under the TH. stuff that needs to be done kinda stuff.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #2756

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
When you test the fresh water system, it would be a good time to sanitize it so you will be ready to use it whenever you decide. You guys have to be getting excited and anxious to start using your baby.
Frank
Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #2757

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, that's a good idea, after its been setting for so long. Eleanor has been buying all the stuff for inside ( wash cloths, towels ect.) so I think she thinks we're going to use it soon .
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #2758

Freightliner Owners Club
I hope that you get to use it very soon, you guys have put an incredible amount of work into it and deserve to enjoy it very soon.
Frank