Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #2773

Terry, you mention the problems with your hands and I have to ask since you are a Harley Rider. Have you tried riding some other brand of bike that has a better balanced engine? I have Arthritus in my right hand and can't ride my sons Fat Boy very far because of the vibration on his grips. But, I can ride my 1200 XTZ Yamaha all day if I use the throttle lock. The throttle lock I use relieves the tension it take to hold the throttle open for longer rides. SO I can relax my grip.

I've ridden BMWs that are so butter smooth and the Big Hondas are 2 wheel recliners. Their Cruise Controls are electronic too!

When I was 22 years old I crush cut my right hand off acrosss the palm just past the thumb, across to where the pinky finger attaches. Crushed all the base joints between the trigger finger and the pinky fingers. I had the best Surgeon in the State piece the mess back together. It healed up nicely, but as I get older those joints are reminding me of my accident everytime I pick something up. Throttle locks are a necessity!

Got a nice scar across the palm of my right hand for show and tell at my campfire stories.

As I get older I am no longer wanting to sit on my bike for 10 to 16 hours stretches anymore. So I do understand the Toter Home. We call our Fleetwood Class A our Rolling Apartment. (It has more floor space than my first eficiency apartment I lived in after College!)
It cost me a little more to go first class, but that just means I can't stay as long!

Your Progress is inspiring!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #2774

Hey Curtis!

Agreed, I have a number of bikes, only on my Wing do I go for 4-500 mile days sorta non stop. Having a place to move my legs around, electronic cruise control, good wind protection,,,, all makes the time pass with ease.

On most of my other bikes, a 250 to 300 mile day is all I want. Of course it is sprinkled with rest stops.

We also haul the bike, or bikes. Hauling to PA next week, and if all goes well to Yellowstone in September. Will do day rides once there. DW can no longer do 6, 6,000 mile rides.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #2775

I've done Iron Butt Rides on a 600 cc Sport bike. 2 Days in a row. Last half of that second day was a killer. Miami FL. to Fort Worth TX.

I'll do 500 milers now without a second thought, but only if I can run ASL!
The Yamaha will cruise at 100 mph all day.

But, I prefer to run 60 thought the mountains and farm lands, taking in the scenery.

I want to school in Goldsboro NC BTY! Soph Year 1965-66.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #2776

Anyone going to Yellowstone NP be sure to check out Grand Teton NP..
A WAY WAY less traffic and crowds.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #2777

Hi Curtis! I also am a member of the Iron Butt squad. Did my first on a ST1100, I have done 3 now I think?

Won't get far here on the East coast at 100mph, before you got somebody blocking your lane or a ticket.

Hi Popeye, yes Teton is great, will be stopping there as well, and the Black Hills. Previous 2 trips there were on the bikes, first time we are going via RV.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #2778

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Curtis, When I was in the business of fixing bikes I rode alot of different bikes, if I rebuilt the engine I did the first break in so I would ride a fair distance, not like touring but enough for my hands to remind me to stop doing this for a living, vibration does bother too. but it's mostly the gripping part that bothers the most, even driving a car or truck, different part is Eleanor can drive when and if I can't, she has a CDL license too w/air brake endorsement, (not that you need one to drive an RV) we used to deliver trucks and buses all over the US. As a side note Eleanor is checking out campsites to go to for some weekend short trips to check it out before we go on our week long trip we usually go on. last couple of yrs we haven't been able to go due to operations (me). We are "camping" this weekend here at home in the TH .
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #2779

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Afternoon, Curtis, When I was in the business of fixing bikes I rode alot of different bikes, if I rebuilt the engine I did the first break in so I would ride a fair distance, not like touring but enough for my hands to remind me to stop doing this for a living, vibration does bother too. but it's mostly the gripping part that bothers the most, even driving a car or truck, different part is Eleanor can drive when and if I can't, she has a CDL license too w/air brake endorsement, (not that you need one to drive an RV) we used to deliver trucks and buses all over the US. As a side note Eleanor is checking out campsites to go to for some weekend short trips to check it out before we go on our week long trip we usually go on. last couple of yrs we haven't been able to go due to operations (me). We are "camping" this weekend here at home in the TH .
That is great news! I'm sure you both will enjoy the "first time" and have a chance to reflect on the journey that has transpired so far. You each have amazing talent and perhaps more importantly the motivation and determination to see the project through to completion. Kudo's for a job, very near completion, extremely well done!

-David
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 AM   #2780

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, David, Thanks! We are excited about actually spending a couple days even if its in the "yard". Have a Great Day .
Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #2781

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Steps look great, I agree with spending a couple days in the yard. When is the tub and sink due in? Be sure to use all the systems, and not just try them. One good thing about all the rain you have gotten, is that you are sure that you have no leaks in any of the windows or roof seams.
Looks like our plans to head your way this summer are on hold, Rita's son is going to have surgery as soon as they can schedule it. still have a couple more Dr. appointments for some other problems. So when you take your week trip, if you are heading past Ohio, let me know and we can meet up for a cup of coffee.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #2782

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, The sink should be here today, at least UPS tracking said it's out for delivery . Then I can install the counter top and the sink, didn't want to put the counter top on just in case the sink is different than the original. I am also going to build in shelving in the bathroom for towels ect. The tub is a couple weeks out I think, we need to match (color wise) the sink, also getting the surround that matches. Will also install the vent in the ceiling and duct it out thru the wall. We can "use" the TH without the tub until it comes in. Sorry to hear about Rita's son hope all comes out okay. Not sure right now where we are going, I know a few short shake down trips are in the works, then a little longer one before any major trips. The TH is far from "done" but its a work in progress, and we can make some changes if need be as we try it out. We will let you know if we are headed your way !
Old 07-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #2783

Thanks Terry, we won't know anything until after the surgeon gets in there.
Frank
Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #2784

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good Afternoon, Picked up the TV's steer tires, now I need to make an appointment to get them mounted and bal, Installed the bathroom countertop and sink. There is a back splash that gets installed yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0717151501.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	100422  
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #2785

Awesome looking!! I know you are chomping at the bit to get to take her out....but we all are too..lol.....we can all see the finish line you have come so far in what is really a short amount of time doing it all yourselves...hots off to you and the missus..clap..clap...clap....
Old 07-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #2786

Terry,
Looks good, another check mark. Now, finish the backsplash, or do you have to wait until the tub surround goes in? I was always afraid of steer tires too, I have been lucky, never had a steer tire blow out(double knock on wood), but I don't want to have one either. So good call on new ones.
Frank