Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #2871
bap

its really awsome ride in the fall when the leaves are in fall colors,,,

what was the temp on top of ole smokey.....

when i was a kid i would tube from the picnic spot all the way dwn to gatlin.---ice cold river in the summer,,,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #2872

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Temps were about 72 at the summit and 85 in town.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #2873

I've returned to S.C., true to my name.

Bill, have you visited Cades Cove? If not, take a picnic lunch and pick a nice spot along the creek during the drive there. Very pretty area.

Terry, lots of camping in that area. Nice to camp, have many options to tour and see some of natures best, and then in the evening have a nice town to shop, dine, or whatever.

My favorite store is "Beneath The Smoke". Can't think of the artist name, but famous photographer of wildlife, it is his gallery. Lots of photos on sale from all over the world, amazing shots. He is from that area, but traveled the world.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #2874

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bill,
Glad that you had a nice ride down there, it is a beautiful and scenic area.
Lloyd in SC,
Glad that you got back home safe and sound, hope that you had a good time.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #2875

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, I'm keeping track of all those neet drives your taking Bill, Bap, sounds like you know the area well will have to look you up for advise when we tour that area. Lloyd, thanks for the heads up, sure sounds like a great area. We are just finishing up some small projects around the TH last couple of days, a small cabinet above the one closet, attaching anti tip bars to the refrigerator things just left undone doing the big stuff. finishing up the front compartments today. If I get my E Track ect this week we will be taking the TH on its first trip,......to a Cat Scale . to see how much it weighs and if I distributed the weights correctly. Morning Frank, snuck in there while I was typing.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #2876

Terry,
Sounds like you are getting close, did you get the tub yet? or did you sneak that in while I wasn't looking. The only thing that I would be worried about is the pin weight when you have the 2 bikes loaded. You might have the axles far enough back. I know that you have enough TV to haul heavier pin, but my concern would be not enough weight when loaded.
Frank
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #2877
bap

terry,,,,we hit the smokies every year matter of fact thats where the family is now,,but will be going down again in the fall or around christmas when they have it all lite up to do our shopping....
but i have a special trip planned out for just me and debbie---its where you stay at a lodge and there is a murder and you have to figure out who the killer is---she is gonna love it...and i have no doubt she will be the one to solve the mystry....
Old 07-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #2878

The scale visit should be interesting! Exciting stuff. Scale's often surprise me. Got any idea what the unloaded weight of your TV is Terry? It will be interesting to see hitch weight figures.

Will you.............fill the water tank, the propane etc etc?

L.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #2879

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Frank, Nope I haven't got the tub in yet, we were concentrating on getting all the absolutely necessary stuff done. We figured that if we didn't get it done we could always use the campsite showers. I hope I have it figured right, (axle location) having the bathroom forward of the axles and the propane plus the batteries going for six, (six volt deep cycle) I also have room up front under for another fresh water tank or?? I used a trailer design off from Dexter to figure the axle location, the only variable I didn't have was exact weights. Bap, that sounds like fun, I'll bet she'll love it. Lloyd, I don't have a clue as to weight, only what similar TH's are. I will have it fully loaded so I know the good or bad news .
Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #2880

Hi Terry!

May want to drop the trailer at the scale, and weigh the TV, then weigh them together. You can deduct the hitch weight by the new total weight of the TV.

Looking for that all important 15% hitch weight. (or more)

We recently sold our tri axle TH. Noticeable difference with the garage loaded, or unloaded. Towed with a superduty, with an airlift rear airbag suspension. When the bikes were not loaded, the bags needed lots of air. When the bikes were loaded, it off loaded the front. Two bikes in a rv, are a massive amount of weight. (compared to all the other components in the load) I think you got them axles set right, but real interested to know, like I am sure you are.

Thanks Frank. We had a great trip. Uneventful, the way I like them!

L.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #2881

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Lloyd, I agree that the bikes are heaver than anything I have in the TH, It's going to be interesting for sure, I have hauled alot of different stuff so I should be able to tell before I even get to the scale if it's good or not, (I think). Finished up some more little things today, might get some heavy thunderstorms tomorrow so we'll see what I get done. Have a great night.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #2882

Terry,
I would take an educated guess that you will be ok on the pin weight, but I was just saying that would be my concern, you know how squirrley a pin light trailer is. As for a second fresh water tank, most trailers have a fresh water tank approximately the same size as the grey water tank. I also can tell you 35 gallon fresh water tank is only good for 2 people for 2 to 4 days when boondocking. Just to give you an idea.
Frank
Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #2883

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, Thanks on the concern, I agree, I sure don't want to cut my axles loose and move them back . Right now my fresh water tank is only 20 gals. We don't plan on using it for drinking water, its the tank that was in the "donor" 5th wheel. My grey water tank is 35 gals, black is 30 gals. I installed a vent this morning for the battery compartment, put up some more trim, (that's almost done). They are predicting some possible severe storms late morning early afternoon, so I got an early start.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #2884

Winnebago Owners Club
I know you guys have a lot of concern about pin weight but it is my belief that the triaxle operates with a different set of rules than a tandem.

Our stacker came from the factory with about a 200 lb pin weight. I dont have the numbers with me but it is really light. Loaded I have 800 lbs on a 13,500 trailer. I would have to drive the car right to the front to get the recommended 15%.

I am also not sure of the weight of the IH but it is likely as heavy as the TH so should handle it very well.