Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #2885

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, You very well could be right on the fact that a Tri Axle operates differently, I had to use a different set of measurements for the three versus two axles when setting up, they didn't go into detail why and they didn't go into detail explaining why they had a pin weight % for two axles and not for three, I had forgot about that. I'm not sure on how much the Caddy weighs I only have weight slips with a dump trailer included, I have had a combined weight of 22,000 gross before.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #2886

Terry
IF you end up with not enough pin weight ,,,,no problem....
Just replace the Harleys with a couple of Vespa scooters !

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #2887

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, As long as there turbo Vespa's .
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #2888

Hitch weight....

I don't know Eleanor,,, but if Debbie packed the camper for the trip,,, weight will be there!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #2889

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, you may be on to something there .
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #2890

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hitch weight....

I don't know Eleanor,,, but if Debbie packed the camper for the trip,,, weight will be there!

L.
Oh so true. You should see the things Patty packs for an overnight trip.

I just got smacked for that
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #2891
bap

im not even repling to that one,,,,lol......my debbie can pack our little ford focus with enough stuff to build a house----i use to say u cant get that in there ....she would just scoot me out of the way and would hav e room left over...lol..

i guess i did reply to this one...lol....

how ya been JAY, hope all is ok after the smacking...lol....i swear i belive ur a battered husband......----with all the beatings i have seen you post...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #2892

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi Jay,
Glad that you are still here, haven't heard from you in a while. We all have missed you.
Terry,
Geez, only 22,000#, you are a light weight, lol, I was at 23,500# equipped for a long weekend, I would guess that I am now close to 25,000# GCWR right now. I would think that I would want another 20 to 30 gal of fresh water to go boondocking. My tanks are 100 gal fresh, 100 gal grey, galley is like 15 to 25 gal, and black is something like 50 to 55 gal. I only carry around 30 gal fresh water, which is enough for 2 to 3 days if I get stranded someplace or if the park has water problems.
I didn't intend to say that you would have to reposition the axles, just kind of thinking out loud. By the looks, I would guess that the bike front wheels will be almost over the rear axle.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #2893

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Jay, good to hear your back, you need to learn to duck . Frank, I really didn't think I would move my axles, (I have been known to do that that kind of stuff), The front wheels of the bikes are actually in between the last and middle axles so they are not fully behind the axles. I think putting an extra water tank is an upgrade that I probley will do, later, and add an extra water pump for it. Has anyone used those portable dump tanks?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #2894

Terry,
You should be good on your pin weight if the bikes center of gravity is close to the rear axle. I have seen those used at couple parks that I have stayed, usually by seasonals where there is no sewer. You just pull them behind the TV to the dump station. Most are easy to dump.
Frank
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #2895

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, I checked better to see exactly where the bikes are and the front wheel is really close to being over the middle axle, I was thinking of one of those portable dump tanks would extend a stay if I didn't have a hookup. I'd have to put a hitch on my Harley .
Old 07-31-2015, 06:19 AM   #2896

Last year (year 5) we completed construction on our new home. It was originally a 2 year plan. Over the 5 years we cleared the land, built 1'300 ft of road, built a barn and eventually hired a builder to do our new house. We moved in last Thanksgiving.

For 5 years, early April to end of November we had our TH on site at the new place, we spent the weekends and vacation days there. Very long story, but we had sewer on site, no water. Well permits etc were not allowed till we actually started on the house. Our TH had a 90 gallon fresh water tank. On average, we could camp 9 days on a single tank of fresh water. Our purpose was to work on the new place, so we often got pretty dirty, took daily showers, cooked, did dishes etc.. 10 gallons a day if we were thoughtful about the usage. Of course, what goes in, comes out.

I have one of those 350 gallon plastic tanks I bought at a city auction that clorine came in for the city water treatment plant in a town nearby. I would fill it at home and haul water on my gooseneck to refill when needed. Bought the tiny Harbor Freight 2 stroke pump to move water from the hauling tank to the TH.

Anyway, I think 90 gallons capacity was just about right for 2 people boondocking. For fun I tracked our usage, 10 gallons a day seemed so consistent I could accurately predict when we would need to refill.

Here in the south, we learned that water unless treated, has a short shelf life. We stored city water in the haul tank for 2 months without issues. Well water would turn green within a week. Of course it is warm here.

The above was my lessons on water management during our 5 year dry camping experience. There was just 2 of us, occasionally I would have help, and they would use the head, but it never seemed to make a difference. If you figure on boondocking, 10 gallons a day is comfortable living. I am sure you can lower that (disposable plates, minimal dishes etc) but we never tried to do that.

My advice, If you can add weight, add more water capacity. And never think you can build a new place in 2 years!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #2897

Lloyd in SC,
I hauled water for a living before I retired and I had a couple of plastic tanks that I rented out, I found out that it is the sunlight is what causes the most problem with green, the sun eats the chlorine up really fast( I only hauled treated water). I had water last for a month if it was stored in a garage bay without turning green. I agree with your about 10 gal usage per day.
Terry,
With the bikes that far forward, you won't have much of the cantilever effect that most TH get, so I hope that I didn't cause you any unnecessary worry. Made reservations for the first week of my trip, but haven't gotten the second reservation yet, should make them either today or tomorrow. It amazes me that these campgrounds don't seem to ever answer their phones and some take days to answer their messages. When I firm up the second stop, I will give you definite days that I will be up your way.
Frank
Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #2898

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Wow I missed the morning, took off early to pick up more parts, I got most of the E Track and fittings, need two more pieces of vertical E Track. Some fittings for the combiner box that goes on the roof for the solar wiring, a sheet of 1/2" sanded plywood for shelving in the bathroom, water hose for drinking water and a new 20' slinky all before noon now back to work. Lloyd, Thanks for the insight on the water usage that kind of stuff helps alot of people figure. Frank, No worry's on the TH weights it's always good to talk it out and figure what ifs . Good to get your dates that you'll be up, see if I can get this thing movin . Have a Great Day.