Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #2955

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Now I am not too sure about the help you are getting, it sounds a little over the top for my conservative eyes, lol. Seriously, with the new truck, you have to think about getting around in the places that you want to go. Wheelbase could be a problem with the TH on, especially in national and state parks, also some of the older commercial parks. The way some of these are set up, there is not enough swing room to get around the trees to get into the spots, and I am only 47' long. Like I said, just something else to think about before you start.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #2956

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, another cornfield caddy!! I concur with Frank on the wheelbase of the TV, do not want it too long!! Sounds like you are getting a lot of advice on the tub thing?? I would leave that up to Eleanor, just to be safe!!
I just missed on a MH the other day, just what I was looking for, but it was in Florida, and sold before I had a chance on it! Oh well, as Lynne used to say, it will happen when it is right!!
Good to hear from Jay, glad he is doing ok, and everything is good for him!!
Terry, your weights will be ok, I am sure of it!!
Gordon, glad you got home safely, and had a great trip!
Everyone have a great day!! Rail!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #2957

Wow, a fleet of corn field caddy's! I'm not familiar with the turning radius of those,,,, but the name "caddy" would imply it don't turn on a dime. I agree, lots of campgrounds are hard to navigate with big rigs. There are a few real nice state campgrounds here in South Carolina that I would love to stay at, but no way our rig will get in. The sites are too short, and the roads are wooded and tight. Short wheel base for me.

The second fuel tank,,,, I would want that. I hate buying fuel, and it is really nice to be able to buy it cheap. The difference between states is sometimes crazy. I just paid $2.32 here in S.C.. What's the current pricing in N.Y.? Near $3? I wish our coach had a bigger tank, we hold 100 gallons now, 150 would have been nicer.

Rail, what are you looking for in a MH? I'll keep and eye out.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #2958

Sorry on the missed MH Rail, maybe you will get the next one.
Loyd, it was 2.49 in May when I was in SC, It is 2.79 here in south central PA. I have 94 gal capacity and at 10 mpg have an effective range of over 800 miles, so I'm good with that. Seeing that we seldom travel over 350 miles a day, I usually don't have to fuel up till every other day, which is nice.
Frank
Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #2959

Hi Frank!

Yea, it has come down some. Love it! Our Superduty is setup with 80 gallons. It was great. So far, our coach seems to be in the 8 mpg range, which would put us at right about 800 miles. The problem is below a 1/4 tank the genny won't run, and I've learned over the years it is not good to be real low,,,, in case you breakdown, have some sorta setback and end up dry camping for awhile. So in reality, I wouldn't use the 800 mile range.

I was under the coach yesterday, trying to see if I could add another tank but it don't look easily done, Unless I custom make something.

L.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #2960

Lloyd, I understand what you are saying, I try not to let the main tank get below 1/2, that way I still have around 100 mile cushion. I usually just fill up every other day regardless of the mileage(unless i only go 100 miles or so). They don't leave you much room on the coaches to add much under there. You might check with Thor, they might have made a 150 gal tank that will fit in place of your 100 gal tank.
Frank
Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #2961

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lynne, Eleanor just shakes her head with the tub suggestions . Frank, that's true on the long wheelbase, I realize that low 50's ft. is probley tops for getting in, I'll take you guys advise on that, my campground experience is slim. Right now I have basically an 8' sleeper, so if I went to 10' it wouldn't be alot extra. Rail, You can't have enough Caddys , Eleanor says I need to get rid of the one we don't use . Too bad on the MH miss. Lloyd, They actually turn very short, they one I have now is about the same size as a long wheelbase PU. I just checked my Gas Buddy ap and fuel here is running around 2.80. Frank, I agree that we probley don't want to drive too much a day, I think you miss too much. Well gotta get ready to take the TH out for its first run .
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #2962

Oh boy, oh boy, first run! Just to cool!

Terry, not to add more projects to your TH, but I started this thread yesterday, and others have shared there's. Some of these LED's would go great with your solar as the power consumed is nothing,,, and they are very cheap now. Check it out. Under $9 for a 16' string.

LED outside lighting,,,, project

L.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #2963

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

I am sure Eleanor as well as you find some of the suggestions funny which is what is intended. We just love being in this project with you two. Not that I will ever do anything this involved (as I do not have the skills or tools or desire) but I find it interesting.

Congrats on the first trip and being near the end of your project. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #2964
bap

its all in fun brother,,,all in fun,,,,--but seriously i have seen tubs painted that you couldnt even tell,,,-----bring it over and i will take care of it for ya...

happy scales...or trails...well both...lol
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #2965

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning all;

I like the idea of the new truck. Although a longer wheelbase may make it more difficult to park in a few spots it is doable - just takes some jockeying. Our current 450 has a 176 wb. I find the length of the TH and the swing seem to be the biggest difficulty in getting into a small spot. Actually find it easier when the length of the lot is about the length of the trailer. Just jack knife the trailer in. May take a time or two to get the depth right when the trailer is square to the pad.

I think the few spots the extra wheel base will eliminate could be offset with some extra living space on the truck. This may make the few inaccessible locations with truck and trailer actually accessible with the truck alone. Drop the trailer in storage and drive the truck to the desired location. If you have a 12 or 14 foot living area on the truck with a small stove, some plumbing, etc you could spend several days in state parks.

Meanwhile the extra length when boon-docking will be an advantage. You will have extra propane and water for the self contained unit on the truck.

Sorry you missed the MH Rail. Another will be coming along that will have your name on it. Lynne and Jerry are the absolute models for patience and they were rewarded.

I look forward to the outcome of the tub color debate. Tiger stripes in Harley colors would be a colorful addition to the unit and would be totally in sync with the current color palette. Photos please.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #2966

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Yahooo, we drove to the Pilot Truck Stop and weighed the TV and TH combo. The front axle 5160 lbs., drive axle 7200 lbs., combo gross 20,240 lbs. I will take the TV down tomorrow and weigh it, then I can run the figures and come up with all the weights. The drive was excellent, the trailer behaved as it should tracked straight and hardly even bounced. Eleanor followed me down and back and had a dash cam which I viewed and it looked good. I guess we can say the test drive was a success. I need to check one hub on the trailer as it was always 20 degs. hotter than the rest. Have a Great Day All (so far I have )
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #2967
bap

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FRIEND,,,,i know it felt good...
Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2968

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - Sounds like I expected it to turn out, great, except for the warm axle (hopefully just the bearing a bit snug).

Did you have the bikes in the trailer? If not the loading on the back axle might change a bit. Not enough to be worrisome IMO. Our bikes are behind the axles so it made a bigger difference than you will get.

Our trucks are very similar in loaded weight. Our front axle is 5158 and the rear axle is 7495. Trailer axle weight is 15211. Our front axle does not change when the trailer is not attached but the rear axle weight goes to 4850.

Our truck and trailer gross at 27,864 with 2645 (15%) on the kingpin. It is closer to 3500 without the bikes in the trailer. The trailer loaded totals 17858.

I ran all of our numbers through a website called free.fifthwheelst.com and got a nice printed report.

Looking forward to the next numbers.