Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #2969

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Guys, Bap, yup after seeing the parts come together for a year it was great to see it going down the road doing what it was supposed to do. Gordon, Yes the bikes were in and full of water ect. the only thing I didn't have in was food and clothes, maybe some tools. I'm going to run to the Cat Scale in the AM for the TV, (its a rescale only cost 2.00 then )as long as you do it within 24 hrs. That's strange our TV numbers are so close.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #2970

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, I'll have to check out that site tonight, I wouldn't mind (at some point) adding some lights under the TH. Lynne, we do enjoy all the banter and good natured fun, and like all the suggestions too. Bap, yup for sure. Gordon, on the new truck, the CLACer in me has me thinking all sorts of possibilities, you make a good point in that if I made it "livable" I could live in the truck by itself, I already have a pretty good supply of parts. Look for a new thread coming to a forum near by .

Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #2971

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
That's great news on the weight, only 7880 on the trailer axles with the bikes loaded, that leaves 2620# of capacity left on the axles. The temp being 20* could be 1 notch tighter on the brake adjustment or 1 pin too tight on the castle nut. A quick check will give you peace of mind. You have to be ecstatic on how well the TH worked out, now it is time to finish some of the little things and go out and enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy. Let the new project go till the bad weather comes and you can't use the TH any more for the season.
Just to let you know, when I weighed mine, I had 30 gal fresh water and 30gal of fuel in the auxiliary tank and 5er loaded for a long weekend, I had 4400# steer, 6600# drive and 12,500# on the trailer for 23,500# combined. I would imagine that with the auxiliary tank full and 30 gal of fresh water, I am really close to 25,000# Gross. I don't fill the fresh water tank unless I am going boondocking, because another 70 gal is additional 580# or so that I don't need. At a little over 20,000# you are in the cat bird seat.
Frank
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #2972

Awesome! Congrats Terry on a successful test drive. That's is great!

And the scale looks good also! Bet this all felt good.

I agree, get it done, and go enjoy. Season will end to soon.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #2973

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, Lloyd, Thanks! I am, the test and weights couldn't have come out much better I'll know tomorrow more of the percentages more for info then anything. My TV's numbers off the line card are, GVWR 23,300 Front GAWR 7500, Rear GAWR 15,800 so I'm well under those weights also. I'll pull the left rear off the trailer to check it out tomorrow, I'll keep a log of temps of tire and hubs ect. I know most people will say why but you should see the records I kept when I built race cars and raced them, I have folders full of barometric pressures, temps of everything, all kinds of things. Lloyd, Yup It sure did feel good to get that first drive done. Starting on the 22nd I will be enjoying for sure .
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #2974

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree it is a bit uncanny to see the numbers so close. I expect though the unloaded weights will be higher on your truck as it is a heavier truck. Also you will have more power with way higher torque. The GCVW on our truck is 33,000 and the GVWR is 16,000.

We have a 40 gallon propane tank in the back as well as a 40 gallon fuel tank. Both were full when I weighed everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	102684
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #2975

Monaco Owners Club
Terry, I'll add my congrats as well... although with your talent and dedication there wasn't much doubt as to the outcome of the test drive and scale session!

I flew into Binghamton late last week and thought I might have time to pm you but time got away and I had to get home. Maybe next time. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden voyage and first "real" camping trip for you and Eleanor in the new rig! Best regards,

David
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #2976

Gulf Streamers Club
OK, weights are in. Waits are over. Get out there and start doing some camping.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #2977
bap

after a few short runs,, here in ky at carter caves would be a good little jaunt,,and some nice country for your bike rides,,maybe next year we all could meet over there,,,,we would travel farther but we are stuck closer to home because of health reasons ...,,,,,i would love to meet all of you in person..and set around a campfire making smores and singing kumbya...lol..
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #2978

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, the propane tank and fuel tank would explain some higher weights for sure, I have one of those propane tanks like you have in the bed, would need to be recertified but it could be used on the new TV. David, Thanks, sorry we missed you, next time. Ron, you betcha we will. Bap, next year we are planning an extended trip around the US, we were going to do it on bikes but with my hands getting worse that's why the TH was built so if it comes out ok we will be down that way ay some point . Don't know about that singin stuff . Gotta get with it catch all later.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #2979

I wonder what the IRV2 market would do with a "Total Rebuild" singin CD?

I would enjoy getting together with the group, perhaps make it part of Terry's US tour.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #2980

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I hate to admit, but my GCWR is 22,000# and I am pushing 25,000#. But all my axle weights are under specs. my GVWR for both the truck and the trailer are right at the max. but good. I agree with Terry on the singing, bap, I don't know if we will make it next year or not but will try our best. Hopefully a group of us will meet at Jay's for the 4th of July. It will be good meeting Terry and Eleanor on the 22nd, then next month supposed to meet up with Lynne and Jerry.
Gordon,
Is your truck set up to run propane?
Have a great day gang,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #2981

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Okay just back from the scales, the TV weights are, Steer 5620 lbs., Drive 4880 lbs., punched those numbers in to the Truck and Trailer safety app. and it comes up with this..........Kingpin weight 1860 lbs. and a Kingpin percentage of 19% we have a safety margin of 2340 lbs. on the front axle, 8600 lbs. on the rear axle that's the TV the trailer is a little tricky because I built it, doesn't come with a recommended GVWR so I took the tire/axle ratings.....6000lb axle/tire combo X 3 =18000 lbs. am I wrong to figure it this way? if that is correct my trailer Gross weight is 9740 lbs. and a safety margin of 8260 lbs. correct me if I'm wrong. (I would never have a "load" that would be that)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #2982

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
I hate to admit, but my GCWR is 22,000# and I am pushing 25,000#. But all my axle weights are under specs. my GVWR for both the truck and the trailer are right at the max. but good. I agree with Terry on the singing, bap, I don't know if we will make it next year or not but will try our best. Hopefully a group of us will meet at Jay's for the 4th of July. It will be good meeting Terry and Eleanor on the 22nd, then next month supposed to meet up with Lynne and Jerry.
Gordon,
Is your truck set up to run propane?
Have a great day gang,
Frank
Hi Frank;
No I do not use propane for truck fuel. I use the propane for the trailer. I have a vapor valve and a quick connect on the trailer. When sitting for a period of time I use the propane from the truck.

I do not like to deal with the 30 lb propane bottles on the trailer. They are not well situated so it can be frustrating to get the back one out to fill. The big tank lasts a long time. I also have a small permanent mount propane on the trailer I fill from the big tank.

I very seldom use or fill the standard 30 lb bottles. I have upon occasion used one of them when I run out of propane on the grill. I can fill the 30 lb from the truck tank as well.