Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #2983

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It looks like things are coming together Now go do an weekend some place and ride the bikes and relax for a weekend.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #2984

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Bill, yup, we are planning a couple of trips, one on the 22nd to meet Frank in Binghamton, just a quick weekend won't bring the bikes for that one. Then the following week we are going to the Adirondacks.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #2985

... What a great story...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #2986

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, Thanks! Built the cabinet for the bathroom today, install tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #2987

Terry I don't know who is more excited......you....or everyone that has been following you...lol...

I know it's you but just know that the support that has been shown by everyone following this thread is the true comraderi that drives rv'ers...cheers to you for bringing together a bunch of strangers that have become somewhat of a family....
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #2988

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MK, Thanks, that's so true, For the past year we have shared alot, not just the building of an RV but we really have become friends and I hope we can all meet someday. I never would have thought. I feel truly blessed to have at least met you all on the forum.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #2989

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good Morning, Raining hard here this AM might let up later. I did get the bathroom cabinet up, Eleanor stained it last night. Not sure what will get done today between the rain and some other duties that need to be done. Have a Great Day All.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0811150726.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	102849  
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #2990

Very nice Terry! Your wood work looks super.

Sorry about the rain, got the same thing going on here, but we need it bad. We have been in a pretty big drought for about 3 months. Started getting some rain last 5-10 days.

Terry, you already have a CDL right? I just got my class F S.C. license Friday, found out I have been driving illegally as my coach is over 26,000 lbs and I am towing a trailer. It's the equivalent of a N.Y. R rating. Except here I had a written and skills test. This RV'ing gets more complicated very year.

Frank, it looks like you are near that range, what state are you registered in?

L.

L.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #2991

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
My home base is Ohio, and as of now, don't need it, but I have a Class A CDL from when I was working, so I am good to go. I do believe that sooner or later, most states are going to require an upgraded license for RV's over 26,000#, so even though I don't use my CDL any more, I do keep it up along with my DOT physical card.
Terry,
Geez, I forgot that you put 6000# axles under the TH, I was thinking 3500# like you were first talking about, how soon we forget. I would guess that figuring 18,000# for a GVWR would be a fair assessment as long as you figure that the frame is strong enough. I know that what you put on is up to the task. The bathroom cabinets look great, One thing that you will need is some kind of hold down, those baskets will come flying out when you are driving down the road. Even a couple of eye bolts and a bungy cord stretched between them will work.
Mkohler,
I agree with Terry, This thread and the Goooodmorning thread on here have brought us all together and we have become friends. Looking forward to meeting Terry and Eleanor on the 22nd and Lynne and Jerry next month in Michigan. Hopefully we can meet more of the people on here in the next year.
Gordon,
I wondered about that, I thought that you had a diesel, but one never knows. I agree with the propane bottles sometimes are a pain in the rear, mine are under my big slide and they are a pain to wrestle in and out, and they are only 20#, I have 3 of them. Luckily I usually only use 1 bottle a month for the winter, my heat pumps supply most of the heat that I need, so the furnace only works when it is below 40*
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #2992

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Guys, Lloyd, Thanks, One thing I always tell people I'm not a carpenter, I make ALOT of what I call dumb mistakes, (I've gotten used to do overs ). I have built or helped on several garages, barns ect where finish carpentry doesn't need to be a skill, and rough cut boards are the norm. Yup I have a Class A CDL/with a medical card, which I understand is getting harder to get, at least here in NY, but I could drop down to a CDL A without a med card, just wouldn't be able to hop into a Commercial truck or Bus. Frank, I agree that eventually there will be an upgraded license for heavy RV's, I've never understood how someone could hop into an MH that was as big as a Greyhound bus with just a regular license. I may get some heat on this but I think there should be some national regs. so people know what they need to be legal, and states can't put their spin on it. I doubled the frame so I think its heavy enough, but I don't think I will only add maybe 500lbs. or so more to the weight so I won't have to worry. The shelves have a 1" lip so I'm hoping that is enough to hold them in, I did the same over the sink in the kitchen and they stayed put during my one run so far, If not I can get the spring bars to pop in place. Here's a pic of what the kitchen one looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0811150908.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	102857  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #2993
bap

terry, your gonna have to bolt on a go pro camera and take us all with ya....lol

or are you going to be on that new show going rv,ing----with you you could combine the shows flipping rv,s and going rv,ing---------
\---cabnets look great im no woodworker either but i get some help from my father in law,,,,---i never could figure out why i could do anything with metal but not wood...lol
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #2994

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bap, Me too, metal I'm your man don't even think twice, but wood I struggle with it. I have a Dash Cam but I haven't figured out how to get the videos up on the internet yet, I downloaded a program but haven't really played with it yet.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #2995

Terry, your wood work looks good to me! I'm making a small table for our coach right now,,,,, I am well versed in dumb mistakes! LOL

Frank, you got the license covered, and so does Terry. I agree, they should be required. I've not driven commercial like you guys, but I have lots of lite truck trailer experience. This test was a stretch. The parking lot skills test made me work. I think S.C. takes it serious, I feel qualified after completing the drill. I was competent before the license workout, feeling more competent now.

Our old rig was a 39' 5th wheel, like Frank we were of 20k. I think the requirement should be lower and include that class. I've seen so many RV'ers struggling with big rigs.

I would like to second the motion on a video from the first camping trip. Frank, you or Terry, WE WANT PICTURES! Video would be nice.

L.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #2996

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Good Afternoon, Lloyd. Thanks, glad that the test worked out in your favor, I wonder if the southern states are more serious because more retired people are there? I'll have to try my hand at videoing . Well here is before and after pics of the tub, sorry guys just boring white .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0811151310.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	102877   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811151401.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	102878