Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #3081

Jackknife couch

If you end up using the couch for guests it might be uncomfortable because of the crack. Ours was so we bought a piece of memory foam and it made a huge difference in comfort. If my memory serves me well it was $100.00 at Walmart. Nice setup with the furniture in the garage. Have a blast on your maiden voyage. Wish I could join you. Just came back from an expensive campout in Rochester. We also have our 1997 truck in for an oil leak. The top half of the engine is being rebuilt/seals. Not good when the antifreeze is leaking in the Oil.This is our rainy day fund put to good use. You can't buy a new truck for the cost of these repairs!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #3082

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sam, Thanks for the tip , mostly it'll get used by my 9 year old granddaughter, "I bet she'll never complain", she has helped out in the TH since we started, used to help me and her father in the repair shop all summer, knows her way around a wrench. But if we ever have a need we'll pick one up. I agree with keeping a vehicle going, at the cost of trucks now a days you can put alot of money in one and still come out ahead. Unfortunately, here in the great northeast rust gets'em first. My old shop truck has 300,000 miles on it, but I need to do a bunch of body work or I'll be setting on the frame . Have you got a diesel or gas truck? I know of a few that have a history of what your saying.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #3083

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - few years ago we were in Rapid City at the Harley dealers lot. Lots of merchants setting up in preparation for Sturgis.

There were several Freightliner Sportchassis trucks there set up to tow 5ers. One had a long frame and behind the crew cab was a 10' wide garage long enough to put motorcycles in. It had a door on each side and ramps to drive up one side and down the other.

It may be possible to build a garage on the back of the new TV as well as a camper.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #3084

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, The possibilities are endless . when you start with basically a blank slate.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #3085

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - the hard part is coming up with a design. It would be easier if there is only one possibility!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #3086

Hi All!

Terry the garage/living room looks great! Our old TH had a big peace of screen with Velcro all around the edges. It was rolled up and stored above the garage door. We could open the garage, drop the screen and Velcro it to the frame and wha...la we had a nice screened room. Might be a nice add.

I like Gordon's idea if the new TV having a bike hauler. Does it have air brakes? I wonder if a pneumatic lift might be better than messing with ramps? I'm guessing the floor height would be pretty high, steep ramps and heavy bikes are a tough combination. Or maybe hydraulic?

That would free up the TH garage for living space,,, which you would really enjoy on a long trip.

Hey Gordon, great job on those sponsors!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #3087
bap

lol,,,,it never ends does it,,,,
Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #3088

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, but not as much fun . Lloyd, the new TV doesn't have air brakes, I've seen a lift for smart cars that they also adapt for bikes. I've looked at awnings for the rear of the TH and possibly an add a room for the ramp which would add more room . at least add the screen. Bap, it never has.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #3089
bap

.....lol....and never will...
Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #3090

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Nice idea about using the sofa and chair adapting it to the E-Track. It looks great, will be a nice living space when there are no bikes.
Gordon,
Hopefully we will get to see more of your beautiful country in 2017. We are planning a trip to Alaska with our friends from Ontario, going trough the Canadian route up and the northern US route home.
Lloyd,
I agree with you about the ramps being a little tough when they are that high. An electric lift would be simpler and probably the least expensive. A landing gear motor and gear reduction would probably work. Or better yet look at the Alfa Gold with the side garage, it has a lift for loading the bike, I think it is electric.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Terry - few years ago we were in Rapid City at the Harley dealers lot. Lots of merchants setting up in preparation for Sturgis.

There were several Freightliner Sportchassis trucks there set up to tow 5ers. One had a long frame and behind the crew cab was a 10' wide garage long enough to put motorcycles in. It had a door on each side and ramps to drive up one side and down the other.

It may be possible to build a garage on the back of the new TV as well as a camper.

Curious what the overall length of those rigs were and if there are limitations in each state that may come into play here...
Also, the longer they are the tougher to maneuver in the truck-stops and parks..
Mine is 58' OL with truck.. It's more than a handful at times.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #3092

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Curious what the overall length of those rigs were and if there are limitations in each state that may come into play here...
Also, the longer they are the tougher to maneuver in the truck-stops and parks..
Mine is 58' OL with truck.. It's more than a handful at times.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Hey Randy;
I think length is a very valid concern. There are a couple states with very generous lengths and some are as low as 60' Many are in the 65 - 70' area.

Concensus seems to be that RV are not watched closely by enforcement. I believe if you are driving sensibly and not doing something stupid most enforcement will look away. If you draw attention to yourself all bets are off.

I have not had issues with fueling since I figured out the process. Early in the game I pulled into a regular service station and had to back out after fueling. Now I mostly fuel at truck stops and have not had any issues. Got a Flying J RV charge card so tend to use them for most of the fuel requirements. Also have a card lock card for home so mainly avoid issues with fueling.

Getting into some of the older RV parks can be an issue but so far (touch wood) have been able to park at all we have stopped at. There have been a time or two when we needed two spots because of length but the campground folks were helful so no issues.

Backing up can be an issue if the TV is long but sometimes patience will enable you to get into some very tight spots. Would not consider it if only for an overnight but for long term stays a little effort is worthwhile. Patience and getting out often to look is my formula for parking.

Biggest issue I ever had was moving a 5er for friends. Wide open spot and it took several tries to get close and then another several moves to get it lined up square. Of course the crowd got larger and the difficulty seemed to compound along with the size of the watchers!!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #3093

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Hi Randy, I'm with Gordon, length is always something that you think about, my length now is 50' OL, the new rig could be settled around 60' OL, that doesn't worry me about driving it as I have drove semi's that was longer, (of course I didn't have to park them in an RV park ether) but I grew up driving Logging trucks, for a time I drove for a good size logging trucking co., and of course being the new guy got the worse jobs, one was driving the "Mud Truck" it was a White Constructor series Tri axle straight pulling a pup trailer, it and me would be pulled miles into the woods by skidders loaded, then pulled and pushed back out, let me tell you learned real quick where your fenders where. I am comfortable fueling in truck stops also so that would not be a concern. here's a pic of a rig that's for sale, the one I am thinking of building would look similar
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #3094

Evening all!

That's a nice looking setup Terry. I agree, length is important, but as long as your legal, it is really not too bad. I have 2 enclosed trailers. We recently bought a 7x12 used on CL, and use it for the bike behind the MH. I have had a 20' enclosed car trailer for about 11 years. I used it once behind the MH and as it turned out we were 64'11"!!! Couldn't plan that better! We got around ok with it. Of course on the coach with a bumper pull, the rear swing out helps a lot. The trailer much more closely tracks with my coach then with the pickup.

We use the big trailer to do vintage/antique bike shows, I can haul 5 bikes in there. It's a Vnose, keep meaning to see if I could load my wing with the front tire tight up front in the V, and carry my focus behind it. Someday we would like to do a mutli month trip and a car and a bike would be nice. If that would work, I would head out without too much worry. The convenience of having a car and a bike, would overcome the hassle of a 65' rig in my mind.

Terry, when do you hit the road to go meet Frank? Tomorrow?

L.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote