Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #3207

Winnebago Owners Club
It will be a very elegant rig that most will envy. You will have the best of both MH and TH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #3208

Soooooo not to jump too far ahead , when the toter tot is finally done,,,,,,what's going to happen to the cornfield caddy ?????

Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #3209

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
We are about 30 /35' above the water level, and probably 40/50' from the edge of the water, so close, but not too close. Not much of a beach, it is mostly rocks, it has like a small cove around where the park is, then straight up rock walls at either end right to the waters edge. So not much walking on the beach, but we went down there for a short time today and will probably spend some more time the next couple of days.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #3210

TV idea, maybe add this feature?

Our TH (2005 Raptor 38') had one feature I miss a lot now that we have a MH. It had a 30 gallon fuel (gasoline) tank. It's primary purpose was to run the genset, but also had a filling station. When we traveled, it was so nice to do day rides, return to the park, and at my leisure fill the bikes for the next days fun.

I would re-fill the tank before we returned home. At home I used it as a fuel depot, lawnmower, chain saws etc. Using the fuel kept it fresh, and filled my need for gas around the ranch. For 10 years I never ran to the gas station with a can. Always seemed that when the tank was just about dry, it was time for another camping trip.

Can't recall Terry if you have plans for a genset, but if it uses gas this was a nice idea.

Mowed the grass this evening, got to go get gas in the morning!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #3211

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Got the isolator solenoid installed and wired, now the TV will trickle charge the TH'ers batteries while we are driving and not discharge when shut down. Working on installing an inverter to run the Reefer while in motion, will have that in tomorrow. Have to go get the bikes inspected in the morning then load'em up. Gordon, not sure on the elegant but it should turn heads, we already do with what we have, we had a few people stop by at the last campsite and ask. Popeye, we probley will sell the Cornfield Caddy, don't think we need a fleet of these things . Frank, if your getting the weather we are it'll be nice for those beach walks, (what there is). Here's a pic of the solenoid. Lloyd, yup we bought a used RV Genset that we are going to install in the TV, that's a good idea on the fueling station, we were also kicking the idea about converting the genset to propane, but this might be better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0828151113a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	105093  
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #3212

Looks good Terry, I see that you found the hot wire to charge the TH batteries.
Frank
Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #3213

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, yup got the info I needed to charge the Bats. and not back feed and discharge the TV's batteries. I need bigger wire to charge properly, 10 gauge is not enough, I'll redo it when we get back to 6 gauge with a separate plugin to the TH from the TV, the standard electrical plug just isn't big enough to feed enough juice.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #3214
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Terry, unless you are going to use some sort of current limiter, even 6 gauge wire will not be enough as at times there could be a big different in voltage (and therefore amperage flow) between the camper batteries and the TV. I bought an AMP-L-START to top up my Toad when we are travelling, but haven't installed it yet. If all you are going to do is trickle charge the TV batteries, then maybe one of these will actually be more cost effective than running a heavier gauge wire and installing a separate connector.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #3215

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Bap,
I will be in Elkin, WVa. it is east of I79 north east of Charleston.
Terry,
I have seen the blasted four letter cuss word (s__w) in late October up in the ski resorts south of Beckly, at over 3000' elevation, the temps ted to be a lot cooler as you know too well.
WildeBill,
I am at a nice park that is right on Lake Erie called Brookside Beach Campground, it is about 25 miles west of Dunkirk, NY. We are planning on going to Liberty Farms in Woodward, Ok. for 4th of July 2016, Jay has invited us to his new spread. If you can work in into your travel plans, we would love to have a lot of the people on here that follow this post there.
Gordon,
I like the Agent Provocatuer, that fits.
Frank
I know exactly where you are. If you get this in time go to the farmers market in Westfield on Saturday morning, there are some Amish ladies that show up selling the biggest doughnuts you have ever seen for $1.00 ea plus home made jams ect. Stop in Barcelona harbor at Zebro's great place to have a drink on the beach and watch the sun go down.
https://www.facebook.com/Zebrosharborhouse
Fun fact, That old light house at the harbor was the first gas powered light house in the world.
Have you been to Chautauqua Institution on lake Chautauqua? You can get in free on Sunday. Fascinating place.
Welcome
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #3216

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, PushedAround, I'll have to check on that, I know I used one of those solenoids on a old MH I had and it worked but I wasn't real interested at the time in whys and where fors (or how good it worked ) I had a 15 ft. length of 6 gauge here ( bought for another project) and checked the voltage drop between the 10 and 6 gauge and it was 2 volts, 12 to 14 while the TV was charging, sooo theoretically I could put 14 charging volts into the TH'ers bats while the TV was charging. Of course by next year I'll have the solar hooked up and this won't be as important. Really I'm not looking into completely charging the TH batteries, just putting a little trickle in while I'm moving to help, because I will have the reefer on the inverter. Bill, that's great info, if I'm up that way I'll look into that, maybe Frank will and report back . Hey guys I saw this while looking around check out the prop on the right front corner, I think its a wind turbine, charge up the bats that way .
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #3217

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dang, Terry!! You are going to drive Bap crazy with that pic!! He can get some more polishing done! That has always been one of my thoughts for charging the batterys, but am not that versed in doing it!!
Hey, also, when you start on the new TOT, I have a buddy that has one of the motorcycle lifts that mounted on the frame of his semi, ( behind the sleeper) and he took along his HD with him when he trucked. I helped him take it off and put it into storage, when he traded trucks and I think he would sell it? If that is something you are thinking about? It was very well made, had the 12volt winch, and was made for the big bikes!
Enjoy your trip to the mountains! Rail!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #3218

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, Thanks, yup Bap could polish her up for sure . On the bike lift, after I get back I'll PM you and get more info on the bike lift, might be a possibility, I was thinking one bike on the TV and one in the TH, I might put the side car back on mine then. Gotta finish packing up and head out, catch all later.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #3219

WildBill,
Thanks for the info, will have to check it out definitely Zebro's. I have to try to stay away from the donuts, as good as they are, I've put on 10# since we left Ohio the beginning of the month.

I agree with Rail, bap will be drooling over that trailer, a classic if there ever was one.

Terry,
Again you and Eleanor have a wonderful and safe week, hope that you have great weather and get to enjoy your time out with the TH.

Frank
Old 08-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #3220

If you see this before you go, Have a great trip Terry!

If your don't already have, consider a smart phone. You get the better phone and the hot spot for one fee. We use ours all the time when on the road, and the CG wifi isn't up to snuff.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote