Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #3291

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dang, Terry, you could almost pull the axel's and mount the TH right on the bed, and have a Super C!!!! Hehehehehe!! Just kidding!!
Sorry, about the "run out of fuel" thing! We have all been there!
The cargo box looks like it will work good!!
How did you join the siding at the seams on the TH, did you overlap it, or butt join them up together? Am asking for Piker, as this may be a option for him, instead of doing the long, all the way down the side, in two, very long piece's, as he is planning to do? Just thinking out loud!
Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #3292

DT466? DT503? Electronic or Mechanical?
Trans?
Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #3293

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, The frame on that 4700 is probley the heaviest I've ever seen on a truck, so it would support it!! I don't get bothered by stuff like running out of fuel it was kinda funny, I haven't broke down with a truck in years. I overlapped the seams by one inch, I had 1/16" butyl tape that sealed the seam. The only thing I would do different is install luan first, then put the aluminum on. MT, DT 466E and A AT545RM trany
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #3294

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Terry,
I was thinking the same thing as Rail, looks like the TH would mount right on the frame, of course the ramp would be a little steep to load the bikes. What will your final height be with the box?, I would guess it will be real close to 13'. I can feel for you out in the rain with no tail lights and running out of fuel. Either the pick up is too short, or you will need to readjust the float on the fuel gauge, always something, One of my trucks had the crossover line plug up and I had 1/2 tank of fuel but still ran out, the pickup side was empty. I still think that if you can find the right airride set up, this is the time to do it, since you have to shorten the frame anyways, the gear ratio to let you cruise at 65MPH at a comfortable RPM would be a consideration. I hope that you still post pics on here and not just on Utube.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #3295

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Morning Frank, I'm not sure on the final height I have to do some more measuring now that I have it home and I know I'm doing it. I have to correct the fuel tank thing, that drives me nuts, I like my fuel gauges, (or the pick up) to be correct. I'm looking for the right air ride to do that, I may just get the brackets and weld up the axle I have, I have had this truck up to and over 65 mph comfortably, I think since it was a Ryder truck it's setup to run over the road. This will always be my main posting place, U Tube is only a secondary place to post videos to further explain what I'm doing, for me anyway its time consuming to do the videos.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #3296

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
I agree with the correct fuel gauge thing, or whatever the problem is. Glad to hear that you are still going to use this as your main posting place. I don't do many Utube videos, it uses too much data usage from my hot spot.
Frank
Old 09-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #3297

Oh My GOSHK !
When I saw that pic of the truck sitting in front of the TH I had the same thought as Frank and Rail !

Any truck like that would be a good start to make a super C with just about any 5th wheel or trailer . I saw one on a Freightliner at a campground I worked at in back in 2012.The thing had LOTS of under frame storage compartments added too.
Maybe a good ending for the Cornfield Caddy ???

That van you're going to pull the box off of looks like it could have been converted to a nice little class C too.

I better stop with the ideas , or you'll never be able to retire to the road ..........
Old 09-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #3298

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Frank, No worries this is my home for posting for sure, you'll have to go to McDonalds to watch the vids . Popeye, That van pulled my race cars and the thought was there several times to convert it. I was checking it out today, its not going to be as easy as I first thought, (it never is) the body was built using the frame of the van as the floor . Its not an independent box like so many are, sooo I am going to have to build a platform for the box to go on. Stay Tuned .
Old 09-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #3299

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, that opens up a whole n'other can of worms, doesn't it?? Hmmmmm!! First, are the frame's close to the same width?? If so, Just thinking out loud!! Rail!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #3300

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, I didn't measure the frame widths to compare, but I think if I was to put one frame on top of the other it would be too high, If I make my own platform I can go back into a toter body all in one.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #3301

Freightliner Owners Club
Geez, Just lost my post, just as I went to save it, GRRRRRRR. Anyways,
Terry,
I am sure that whatever that you come up with will be much better than what came from the factory. I agree that every once in a while, we need that taxing back in spot just to keep us honest.
Frank
Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #3302

Hi Al!

Terry, I realize it is more working not having a frame under the body, but in my mind the end product will be nicer as the body will not sit 4 to 6" above the TV frame. Lower is better, and looks much better. My opinion of course. You can end up with a body that looks like part of the truck, rather than something sitting on there.

By any chance does it have an exhaust brake? Really appreciating that here in the west. Been down a ton of 6% grades, some 8% grades, and yesterday a 10%! Just a thought.

L.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #3303

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I was thinking that if the frames were the same width, you could cut along the sides, and slip it down on the side of the TV, and weld it on it! Just a thought! Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #3304

Will the cab and box be connected with a pass-through?

How about connect ing the cab and box with a full air ride subframe?