Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #3319

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - nice tour. I really like the rumble of the exhaust. Normally I like a quiet vehicle but this is great!

As snowbirds we tend to drive moderately hard until we get to our destination. Sort of like a horse getting close to the barn but in our case it is both ways. We are going to try to stop more to see things on the drive but the weather is generally cooler to cold so we try to get through that as expeditiously as possible.

Another thought. As I recall you were going to mount a generator on the TV. If you had a generator with you a suggestion would be to utilize a induction burner for cooking. The burner(s) could be stored on a shelf or drawer. While you would need propane for heat you would not have to build in a range. We used induction in the 5er and that prompted us to go all electric in the coach.

Wheelbase could be an issue but I think it will not be. The issue is if you are willing to put the 5 wheel behind the axle and how far. Right now there seems to be lots of frame to hang compartments on each side. A couple of those could be fresh and holding tanks. Insulation would be an issue if you were planning on cold camping but not an issue if you were camping in warm weather.

Thanks for the tour. Enjoyed it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #3320

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, Thanks, Yes the only Genset will be on the TV. I'll look into the induction burner, it might be what I need because this is really a short term rig, but would be nice to have some full time amenities. If I left the wheelbase the same as now I could mount alot of storage, Tanks ect, I could insulate the tanks within the boxes with a hose from the heater to keep warm.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #3321

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I didn't see the video, but Gordon's idea about the induction burner is sound as usual. I do think that you are on the right track to start.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #3322

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
I didn't see the video, but Gordon's idea about the induction burner is sound as usual. I do think that you are on the right track to start.
Frank
The reason I like an induction cooktop is the portability. If it is nice outside we try to cook there to keep the cooking odors, etc from the inside.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #3323

Monaco Owners Club
Terry, thanks for taking the time to make, and post the video! It surely is a nice re-cap of the efforts that you and Eleanor have put in to the TH over the past few months. Also was glad to read the first camping trip went well and that everything functioned as planned. Looking forward to the Toter build and hope to see you in '16 on your southern tour or possibly on the 4th in Oklahoma!

David
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #3324

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, Eleanor agrees she was looking at some options in the induction burner. Gordon, I could see that would be a good thing even when hooked up to the TH. Dave Thanks! I hope to get a better camera to take better videos so everyone can get an idea on what we are doing and how. Will be great to meet as many as we can as we travel around the country, I hope Jay has lots of room. Have a Great Day All.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #3325

Terry, great video on the new truck. So many possibilities with that rig. Of course pictures make it all look better, but do you intent to paint the cab? If yes it looked like that nose wouldn't be hard to repair. I only saw the right front fender was cracked. If your going to paint anyway didn't look like much body work to get that ready for paint.

Gotta find a nice aluminum front bumper for that, or make one.

I still worry about the length. With my small trailer we are 57'. It is not a given, but we can usually find a site where we can stay coupled. Ran into a few CG's on this trip that couldn't take us, so we tried another. For just an overnight, if is really nice to not deal with that.

L.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #3326

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes - the portable inductions are useable anywhere you have power. We used to take ours in a out of the house. Janet finally got tired of carrying it back and forth and purchased a second one so we have one in the house and one in the coach.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #3327

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Lloyd, Thanks, actually we plan on keeping it white like the TH, but fixing the nose will be easy, its fiberglass and I have experience with it. Yup I need a nice chrome or polished aluminum bumper, (with an added deer bumper added , I have been known to hit a few). On the length, I measured everything out and if I just add the 12' box (the one that's on the Caddy is 6') and leave the 5th wheel distance the same from the back of the box to the pin, I will add only 6' to the total length, for a total of 56'. So now if I just add a couple of ft. for a small area behind the box, (that gives me a space to make a set of steps off the side. I would be under 60 ft. Gordon, sounds like we will go that way, thanks for the idea.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #3328

Winnebago Owners Club
All this talk about length got me wondering so I went out and measured the 5er and Ford. The length of the 5er from king pin to the back (not counting ladder) is 41'. The length of the truck from the front to the pin is 18' (17'8"). That adds up to just shy of 59'.

I have backed the 5er into some very tight spots. It took patience and time but it was doable. Janet spotting plus lots of stopping and getting out to look. Would never do it for an overnight stay but if we were planning to stay for a while and the campground was nice it would be worth the effort.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #3329

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I guess I wouldn't be exceptionally long. The biggest thing is where the split is, (where the 5th wheel pin is) versus another. Just have to get used to it. We can always get a stacker to tow behind and stay in the Toter .
Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #3330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Gordon, I guess I wouldn't be exceptionally long. The biggest thing is where the split is, (where the 5th wheel pin is) versus another. Just have to get used to it. We can always get a stacker to tow behind and stay in the Toter .
Heck if you're going with a stacker just put the TH up on the truck, hook up the stacker and take off .
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #3331

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
George, I almost think it could be done, (I'm NOT doing it , but it might be interesting) .
Old 09-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #3332

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I once watched a fellow with a long frame Kenworth back up a jeep and lowboy through an obstacle course at a truck rodeo. Fellows with short tractors did it easier and faster but this young man was quite amazing.