Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 04:24 AM   #3333

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, The best I've seen was a driver with a set of doubles backed around the truck stop I worked at, it was a bet from another driver that he couldn't do it. I've seen a bunch of videos on the really long Semi's from out west, they have to be a bear to drive and get in and out of loading docks ect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #3334

Winnebago Owners Club
It must have been amazing to watch. Not many drivers have that level of skill but they are out there. I am a great one for observing what they are doing as well as how they are doing it. My feeling is I will be able to do it as well, just not as fast or as efficient.

There are operators who just seem to be part of their equipment. It is a wonder to watch them operate and I hold them in awe. That goes for all kinds of operators from truck drivers to light and heavy equipment.

Have you had any thoughts about doing a temporary mount of the 5 wheel and giving it a try before making the final decision and cuts? It might be interesting if easily done but my thoughts are it will be fine with the existing wheelbase. I believe it will be easier for you to get into tight spots with your Tot'rTot and TH than us with the coach.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #3335

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with you, Terry, the placement of the pin is what has a lot to do with how easy(hard) it is to back into different spots. With mine unit only being 47', the trouble that I have is the swing of the TV due to the length, also it is almost impossible to catch up without pulling forward at least once, usually 2 or 3 times. With yours Terry, the TV swing is going to be where you run into problems with trees, posts, other vehicles , etc. It is not that you can't do it(which I am sure that you can), it is where the problem will come that you have to overcome. I would try to get the king pin as close to over the axle as you can, this will help minimize the swing clearance that you will need.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #3336

Winnebago Owners Club
I too resort to many corrective back and forth movements.

I am from a different school of thought regarding pin placement. I like the pin above the axle because it will help keep the unit from porpoising (using the rear axle as a fulcrum).

If one could put the pin in front of the axle the trailer would ride much better. You would have clearance issues with the back bumper touching the trailer. An example of this is the jeeps used by heavy haulers.

For tracking having the pin behind the axle will cause the trailer to counter steer like a travel trailer keeping the trailer closer to the track of the truck.

When backing up the pin behind the axle should cause the 5er to be more responsive to any turning movement because of the counter steering.

Just my thoughts . . . . . . . .
Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #3337

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I am pretty set (right now ) on leaving the wheelbase alone. I drove a full truck and trailer (log truck) and put that into some tight spots, I think they actually handle pretty good, Look at some of the new car haulers these days, the truck is long and the 5th wheel is way behind the rear axle, the reasoning behind this is handling and turning radius, the trailer will almost track within the wheels of the truck making it easier to get into some of these car dealerships. Now the only way you can get away with this is with a MDT or an HDT. The 5th wheel behind, (sometimes WAY behind) the rear axle is the most excepted way to set up a big TV now a days, for RV towing. Frank, I don't have a ton of experience with this setup yet, but I used to put semi's in my driveway and remember how I had to cut in, but with this it is much easier, I know I'm a little bit shorter, but the backing and turning in is way easier with this setup. I had to get into and out a couple of gas station driveways and it was nice. Gordon you are correct in saying the 5er is more responsive in backing.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #3338

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rebuild

Well the Tot'r Tot build is under way, I got the flatbed off, posted it on Craigs list and guy is supposed to come Saturday to buy . Nice, that'll pay for the trany.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0917151527a.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	724.2 KB
ID:	107130  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #3339

WHOO HOO! Terry!

The project is officially started!

Our coach has probably 8' behind the rear wheels. I have also backed up alot of trailers so I will call myself skilled better than many. And I can back up our 12' trailer with a 40' coach pretty well. The challenge is lots of CG' s have a ton o f obstructions. No room to swing the coach behind the trailer.

I agree, if the 5th wheel is behind the axle, you will be able to back much better, but gotta watch all that rig in front of the trailer. New parks not so bad as they are big time into the pull through. Old parks can be fun!

We are in a brand new park tonight, all pull through, 90' sites! (Not a typo)

It all works, just gotta deal with it.

L.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #3340

Winnebago Owners Club
Exciting news!!

Tot'rTot build be officially noted as started. Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

It will be a while before construction starts but it will be an exciting several+ months of anticipating the next photos or write up.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #3341

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, you do things like me, a floor jack, 6"/6" post, 2/12 board, and two 55 gal. drums!! I love it!! Rail!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #3342

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
And the saga begins, The Tot'rTot looks empty sitting there Terry.
Rail,
one uses what One has available to get the job done, we used a tree to bend the roll cage on the 1st stock car that we built.

I agree with the tracking better when the pin is farther behind the axle. But I am just having trouble wrapping my mind around that putting the hitch behind the axle is better. I am sure Terry, that whatever you come up with , will work for you real good.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:35 AM   #3343

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, Gotta love those pull thru's . Gordon, yup, unless something extraordinary happens the actual start of the building part might not start until spring . Got a bunch of crap going on, getting ready for winter, winter, did I say winter? oh well, we will see how much can get done. Rail, is there any other way?? I just jacked up the flat bed after cutting the u bolts slid a beam across two drums in the front one in the back and drive it out .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0917151527.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	720.1 KB
ID:	107177  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #3344

It is a TWOFER

We got a TWOFER, 2 fer the price of one!!!
The TH Build and now the TV Build.
This is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

John in Joplin
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #3345

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi John, Yup the consensus was that I keep the TV build right here, sooo here we are. .
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #3346
bap

this is great news,,,,i hope the weather holds for ya buddy...