Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #3403

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gotta say I'm with Gordon on the rebuild option.

If there is really a significant difference in the AT vs MT in durability and performance I can see going with the MT.

I'm sure there is a way to mod the rest to make brake work. Just a matter of how much work does one want to do.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #3404

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I would think the trans brake would interchange with all of the different transmissions that Allison makes? It just make sense. You will not know till you take it off, and take it with you to the wrecking yard! I am thinking that a total rebuild will be expensive! I am just guessing here, so your research will pan out, or you will find the right guy that can tell you! Good luck!! Rail!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #3405

Guys, I am on a different page. My experience, the best transmissions are the ones that nobody had had their paws in after they left the assembly line. Not had great experiences with rebuilt automatics, and factory units that are not abused gave me great service.

If the used transmission is good, and appears unmolested, I would go with it and solution the parking brake. I used a line lock for years on my flat bed tow truck. Worked great, never had a problem. Not very difficult to install or use.

End solution would be an upgraded transmission and a upgraded parking brake.

Just my 2 cents!

L.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #3406

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had an 80's Ford with hydraulic brakes and it had some type of line loc brake on it, and it worked great. Terry, it is hard to find any mechanics anymore, they call themselves Techs now, that is because they are not mechanics. I agree with the, all they know how to do is look up numbers on the screen. Hope that you can find someone that can answer the questions that you have, the lock up converter will make a significant difference in your fuel mileage.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #3407

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Late this morn running around trying to get stuff done, need to go help with a welding job. Gordon, I have gone back and forth on the rebuild, Allison wants 2800.00 to do the job, they don't rebuild on site they get them from a central site. Lloyd, the first thing I thought of was a line lock, we had them on alot of logging equipment, I have a call in now to the guy who does my heavy truck inspection see if they are legal. I looked them up and can get real nice ones that are electric that would be handy and easy to install. I would only leave them on until I could chock the wheels or getting fuel ect. Jay, there is a big dif. in the durability in the two trany's, and the MT has a lock up converter in third and fourth. Lloyd, I've had mixed results on rebuilt versus used, I agree if you can get an unmolested trany that's still good it'll be better. Frank, I agree I would prefer the MT, I know it'll get better fuel mileage. The wrecking yard put it this way, he sells out on the AT545 and very seldom sells the MT643, so he says that tells him what breaks and what doesn't. Well gotta go, the saga continues................
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #3408
bap

..... ...very exciting..

i wish i had some input but i dont,,,,,,so i am still just watching and taking notes..,,,,,,great info for me for if or when i need it.,,,you truckers rock
Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #3409

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Late this morn running around trying to get stuff done, need to go help with a welding job. Gordon, I have gone back and forth on the rebuild, Allison wants 2800.00 to do the job, they don't rebuild on site they get them from a central site. Lloyd, the first thing I thought of was a line lock, we had them on alot of logging equipment, I have a call in now to the guy who does my heavy truck inspection see if they are legal. I looked them up and can get real nice ones that are electric that would be handy and easy to install. I would only leave them on until I could chock the wheels or getting fuel ect. Jay, there is a big dif. in the durability in the two trany's, and the MT has a lock up converter in third and fourth. Lloyd, I've had mixed results on rebuilt versus used, I agree if you can get an unmolested trany that's still good it'll be better. Frank, I agree I would prefer the MT, I know it'll get better fuel mileage. The wrecking yard put it this way, he sells out on the AT545 and very seldom sells the MT643, so he says that tells him what breaks and what doesn't. Well gotta go, the saga continues................
There is no easy decision and no wrong decision. 2800 is a lot of money compared to the wreckers. But if they are rebuilt at a dedicated facility you would more than likely get a transmission that would pull the TH for the life of both units.

Based on the price I am now leaning towards a road trip. It would be the absolute certain way to see if the emergency would fit. Is the weather good? Will the emergency brake come off of Tot'r easily? I wish I were there to go for the ride with you.

I have a feeling the lever lock would not be considered an emergency brake although they do work good as a parking brake.

No matter how the saga turns out it will be for the best.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #3410

Freightliner Owners Club
Gordon,
The one on my Ford was from the factory, and the truck went through several DOT inspections and nothing was ever said to the contrary. It was an 84 650, with a gas engine and hydraulic brakes, 28,000#GVW chassis.
Terry,
you might check with the wrecking yard on what that was, it has been too many years ago now for me to remember exactly, but it had the same yellow button that the air brakes have, but it was hydraulic or electric over hydraulic, you had to have the motor running to release it.
Frank
Old 09-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #3411

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Frank;
I think you are correct and it does not need a mechanical emergency brake. As I mentioned previously I do not have any expertise in the area. We do not have vehicle inspection requirements for private vehicles.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #3412

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, I need to check with an inspector, but I found this excerpt on the inspection of the parking brake system. "The inspector will examine the means by which the parking brake works. If the parking brake is not activated mechanically or if activated by the same means as the service brake, the vehicle will fail." I'm a licensed NYS vehicle inspector but not for Heavy Vehicles, so I need to find the NYS Definition, that's the part that gets you. I think Gordon is right a road trip is the only way to find out if it will work,
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #3413

Hi All!

Didn't think about inspections. 6 months after we moved here to S.C. they did away with inspections. Been here 23 years, have not heard of a accident, or close call due to a faulty vehicle. That whole thing is sorta a left over from the past.

Really think we gotta get that better tranny in there Terry. When I had my flatbed tow truck with the line lock I was in New York. Guess nobody have caught the problem. during my inspections.

Guess your going to have to move to S.C. Terry. Sell your plows, and pack. The money you save in taxes alone will amaze you!

L.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #3414

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
This was a factory item, so it met the federal DOT standards as it was over 26,000# GVW. and like I said, the truck went through both DOT inspections and PA inspections.
Frank
Old 09-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #3415

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, I agree I would prefer the better trany , I will take a road trip this week to check it out. There would be nothing I would like better than to sell my plows and get out of dodge, (NYS) . Frank, I seem to remember a truck I drove that had something like what your describing, didn't ever work on it so can't remember what the system was. Stay tuned. Worked at a friends shop yesterday.... full day of fabricating, welding ect. the upside......he has a roof top air conditioner and other parts that I will need to build the Tot'r Tot. He has a trailer there that has a beautiful tub and surround, nice and white, only thing its too LONG . Oh well maybe it'll find a home in the Tot'r. Well gotta go catch all later, Have a Great Day.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #3416

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
I'm sorry that I can't give you any more info, but I never worked on it either and it has been over 20 years since I had that truck, so my memory is a little sketchy about the system. Sounds like you found a good donor for the Tot'rTot.
Frank