Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #3431

Thanks Frank!
Plenty to do here... I'm rebuilding my own Toy Hauler and will be pulling out in a month to head to AZ for the winter in it...

I should have started a thread on it here but I am trying to build a blog now too.. Once I get that up and running, I'll send a link to you guys..

Soldier on gents!

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #3432

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, good video, Don't forget to remove the drive shaft before you move the Tot'er !! Hope the brake mount's up to the new tranny, and the tranny mounts to the Tot'er! Luck Rail!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #3433
bap

yes keep the video,s coming...they are a great source of info for those of us that have never done that kind of build....---
Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #3434

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Raining cats and dogs here so lots of poodles around, not sure what I can get done today, I've been putting off cleaning the garage.......maybe . Randy, never too late to put a thread with pics of a rebuild, will be waiting for the blog...you always could do a video Blog, its called a Vlog, I watch a couple of them now on UTube. Rail, Thanks! removal of the driveshaft would be important . Waiting on the rain to slow down some so we can spend some time in the wrecking yard, when I get in a good yard and they let me wander Its like a kid in a candy store . Bap, sounds good I will, they are fun. well gotta find something to do, later, Have a Great Day All.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #3435

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Randy,
Looking forward to seeing your rebuild. Where abouts in AZ are you heading? If things go as planned we will be heading there to winter in the fall of 2016. Are you thinking about meeting us at Jay's in Oklahoma for 4th of July?
Terry,
I agree with the wandering around a god salvage yard, you not only see a lot of want to have stuff, but also get some good ideas to do on your build.
Have a great day all, and stay safe,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #3436

Winnebago Owners Club
Tot'rTot #3

Saved viewing the video for an early morning view. Cool outside so better to sit inside until it warms. Drinking coffee and watching video - how can it get better?

Enjoyed the video and have a couple comments:

1) The commentary in the video reminds me of Dick Proenneke. Different topic and venue but very similar styles. Dick did a series of films about building a home in Alaska called "Alone in the Wilderness".

2) Is that a "cardboard creeper" you used? Love it. I have several of them sitting in the garage. Best are the fridge boxes!

Hope the road trip is successful and the MT transmission is compatible.

Looking forward to the next video.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #3437

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I loved to wander around Russ Fisher's Salvage Yard in southern In. It is a very large semi truck parts yard, and could spend days looking and finding parts to bring back to life! Enjoy the hunt! Rail!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #3438

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, Thanks on the vid. Yup a cardboard creeper, they go thru several stages, first the delivery (this was a reefer) then maybe a paint platform, then down to creeper duty, depending how they fare may get used for months! they do have two sides . Depending on the weather the trany may get put in right there, I have a heavy piece of steel plate that can be pulled under to roll the jacks on. Rail, I have dragged home whole vehicles from wrecking yards, There's lots of parts needed, (or want)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #3439

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Terry,

Please keep the videos coming. I don't always know what you are doing, but as you explain things and you guys talk back and forth I am learning. Either way, I find it interesting.

I don't always say something because it is beyond me, but I look most every day or go back to my last look and keep looking. My mind keeps running with all the things you could put in the TowV's box. Must be difficult to not go overboard when you can do what you want (limited mostly by budget).

Thanks for posting your original Rebuild and now the tow vehicle. I enjoy watching and reading.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #3440

Winnebago Owners Club
The next possible build? Motorcycle and camper.

Wow - just saw this on Facebook. Thought it might be possible that someone would like to build something similar.

Looks like they have a Wing as a toad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MC_RV.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	108449
Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #3441

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Nice, that would be different pulling into campsite Lynne, Thanks We are definitely limited by our budget!! But I get very creative. I've seen and done all this stuff and if I can maybe show someone that it can be done without all the fancy stuff great! Sometimes things go slow because we are thinking about what we want to do and how to do it. Stop in when you can, its great.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #3442

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gordon,
I saw that pic someplace else , and it is something. Definitely different. I bet it would be a blast driving it, you would have a hard pressed to make any time though, everyone would be swarming around it asking all kinds of questions every time you would stop.

Lynne,
You have come a long ways since you first got on here. One never stops learning, no matter how old we get.

Terry,
Your slow is usually faster than most peoples fast. I'm with you on trying to pass on some of the knowledge that I have been blessed with gaining all these years.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #3443

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, Alot of times rather than rush into something and find out there was a better way, I just take as much in to make a decision. This trany thing is an example of that. I have a couple of feelers out there and am waiting to hear back, would love to hear from someone that has done this switch, I know its been done ALOT, but can't get all the info that I want. I guess I will be the one that puts the info out there as I do it. Looks like the rain has stopped here for a couple of days, they are not sure where the hurricane is going. Well got a couple of projects going today, I'm cutting a 5th wheel frame up and redoing a tow behind into a 5th wheel, (long story), the 5th frame is lightly built, and the tow behind is heavy built so with a little massaging the gooseneck will be on the tow behind, and the frame rails from the 5th wheel will become the start of the floor on the Tot'r, everyone got that? good , hope I can keep track. the vids are on my U Tube channel. Have a Great Day All.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Randy,
Looking forward to seeing your rebuild. Where abouts in AZ are you heading? If things go as planned we will be heading there to winter in the fall of 2016. Are you thinking about meeting us at Jay's in Oklahoma for 4th of July?
Terry,
I agree with the wandering around a god salvage yard, you not only see a lot of want to have stuff, but also get some good ideas to do on your build.
Have a great day all, and stay safe,
Frank

Hi Frank -
We will be at The Arizonian Rv Resort by Gold Canyon.. I must've missed the 4th of July thread...

Bone Yards (my pet name for Salvage Yards) are great to spend the day... Every car and truck has a story and it used to be a good time analyzing the bones there to invent the story on how they got there.....
Here lies a 66 F100 with a crumpled front fender and a hole in the side of the block.
It was the pride of Ed Butterfield back in the spring of 66 as it was his first ever new truck and he had saved the $2,200 to buy it and paid cash. Ed had just gotten out of college and was now helping Dad on the farm since Dad's heart went south on him.. He met Betty that summer and they fell in love, had a baby (Joe) the following summer. Joe used to ride in Betty's arms at first, but later got a small seat to fit between them....
On and on....
Fun times - dreaming up all those stories....

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum