Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #3445

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Randy, sounds like you shouldn't have any trouble writing a blog, great job. Well got one project done for today, got the 5th wheel trailer cut up and almost ready to weld on to the other. Onward gents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1001150955.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	787.0 KB
ID:	108479   Click image for larger version

Name:	1001150955a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	890.0 KB
ID:	108480  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #3446

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Well couldn't resist, I pulled the other trailer over, cut the tongue off stretched the frame rails to match the goose neck and welded it on, still have to reinforce, wire the plug and put a deck on the goose neck but its on its way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1001151414.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	934.8 KB
ID:	108513   Click image for larger version

Name:	1001151748.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	108514  

Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #3447

Hi all, my computer died and I was too lazy to fix it right away so I am catching up.

Terry, I vote to keep the videos, I like watching and learning, you're never too old to learn.

Good luck with the tranny, taking your time is a good thing. I tell the younger guys when you get in a hurry you will ALWAYS miss something.

Big-foot, I have always liked walking around the boneyard for a few hours.
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #3448

Hi Terry!

Yes please, keep with the video's. I enjoy them.

I like the 5th wheel gooseneck. I have one also. When we were building this place I used it weekly. 3-4 times I have had people try to buy it from me.

Good luck with the tranny!

L.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #3449

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, George, I know what you mean about your computer, I had a laptop that had Vista on it and was slowly not working properly so I "upgraded" to a new one with a touch screen, I do like the touch screen, had windows 8.1, just got used to it and silly me I upgraded to windows 10, now need to do it all over, some things just aren't quite right . Lloyd, okay it sounds like I'll keep the vids , its alot of work, but like anything it gets easier with practice, I do have a dedicated camera now so that's better, might have to upgrade through later. 37* this morn so the temps are going down , the weather guy says we don't have to worry about the hurricane so great news there, no rain in the forecast for now. Well need to work on the latest vid on the trailer build. Have a Great Day!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #3450

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Nice job, I knew that you wouldn't have any trouble finding something to keep you busy, haha. I understand about thinking the job through before you start, not a bad way to do things, saves a lot of heartache halfway through the job. Rita sent an envelope for Eleanor and Katrina, you should get it today.

Randy,
I think the post on the 4th of July get together was on the GooodMorning thread. Jay said that he was going to put in a few sites at Liberty Farms in Woodward, OK. and said that he always puts on a big fireworks show and invited us there. Some of us on here decided that we would take him up on that invite and see if we could help him with his project. Hope that you can make it. Looks like a nice park there, Rita and I are planning on staying somewhere in AZ the winter of 2016/2017.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Terry, I would think the trans brake would interchange with all of the different transmissions that Allison makes? It just make sense. You will not know till you take it off, and take it with you to the wrecking yard! I am thinking that a total rebuild will be expensive! I am just guessing here, so your research will pan out, or you will find the right guy that can tell you! Good luck!! Rail!

I apologize for being late to this discussion. Been in Chicago visiting Family followed up by riding my motorcycles in Utah, so I'm just now catching up with my Online Conversations.

OK, now for the $64 dollar question. Yes. As far as I know all tail shaft hydraulic parking drum brakes are interchangable with other transmissions in the Medium (MDT) trucks.

For example: My Fleetwood Motorhome came with a 460 EFI V8 Gasser motor and a C6 tranny. It had a hydraulic opperated drum parking brake on it. When I installed the Allison 542 behind the 5.9L Cummins in the Motorhome I transferred the parking brake from the C6 over to the Allison and it fit perfectly.

Now I am swapping out the AT 542 in my old girl for a World 1000 5 speed, with stand alone computer, and the mounting is the same on the 1000 as is on the C6 and 542.
I was told and believe as long as you stay with a medium duty transmission, your drum parking brake will be a direct bolt on.

What ever you do, DO NOT CUT the Parking brake cable from the brake accuator to the drum lever arm to get it off. One, they are too expensive to replace and secondly, are under a lot of tension.
(kinda like pulling the pin on a hand grenade!)

I used a monster "C" clamp to get my cable off the drum to transfer it to the newer transmission.

If you go with a 600 Series MT Transmission you can get a lockup torque converter without going to the stand alone computer headache. The MT 3060's have overdrive too.

Again, I apologize for not keeping up with the conversation better!

Disclaimer: I am not an Allison Mechanic, But I stayed at the Holiday Inn last week. Oh and I learned this by just taking a leap of faith and a lot of research.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #3452

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Curtis, THANK YOU, I pulled the brake drum and mounts from my 545 and was taking them to the wrecking yard where he has multiple MT643's that I can buy for 500.00 with a guaranty . my e brake has a manual brake handle and cable so I was able to just pull a cotter pin and take it off. It just so happened I was at the bus garage where I retired from and they had a brand new bus on the lift, I checked it out, (I didn't have my mounts with me) it really looked like the tailshaft had the same bolt pattern. My next question, is the output shaft the same size? because I would have to swap the yoke over too. Again Curtis Thanks for the info. OH another question how about the flywheel/flexplate, the wrecking yard doesn't have the one that comes with the trany
Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #3453

Well, I just backed up and read the last 3 pages after I posted and saw you had it off. Glad it was hand operated. The hydraulic ones are great, but dangerous to work with. Your Yoke that matches your drive shaft should slip on the new tranny tail shaft. That way you use the same U Joints that are on the driveshaft. I have found that most transmissions are within a 1/2 in length of each other so you should be able to use the same driveshaft. I would be surprised if they don't work back. I have an old one you can have for shipping if it will work for you. Right now it's just a paper weight.

If you have a carrier bearing in the middle you can just slip it forward or back that 1/2 inch and let the rear DS slip joint deal with the difference. They shouldn't care as long as it's just a little. Better if short than long. But there should be enough play in it.

Your flex plate will most likely be an engine specific plate IIRC. But the Torque converts will have the same bolt pattern. Or should, since you are using Allison MDT Transmissions.
The Torque converters all come with different lock up rates (Stall) so go to the Allison Web Page and find out what your lock up rate is for your application.

Kinda like the way Drag Racers use a higher stall speed for more RPM for launching off the line.

Let me know if you need that link. I have it somewhere in my computer. Probably printed it off a few times.

I know it all sounds like a big mystery and Hocus Pokus Magic, but it is just a bunch of small decisions to get the right formula to get it right.

Even the Computer ones are simple if you take it step by step. Just a lot more steps to get it right.

I know some guys who have converted those Ryder Trucks into RV's and had good luck with them. One Guy put a Diamond Reo Cab, Fenders and Hood on his International Frame then added half of an Airstream Trailer on the bed portion to make a Fith Wheel Hauler with a larger Family Room/ Sleeper behind the cab.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #3454

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks again, The engine this truck has is a DT466E and the trany I'm getting is out of the same configuration, 4700 466 ect so I would think it should be set up with the correct torque converter. This truck was a flatbed which I sold, so I have a cab and chassis that I'm putting a 12 ft box and converting to a really long sleeper. Then the 5th wheel after that.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #3455

ARGGgggggg! I posted up a big long reply about the TQ and the output flanges.
And it has disappeared.

In short, the Allison Tranny's are all within 1/2 inch in length of each other.
Not sure about the spline count of the output shafts, but if they are MDT I figure they would be pretty much the same.
Take yours with you to make sure it will fit over the output shaft and that way you can use the same drive shaft.

Oh and when you guys get bored with TV go look at this guys build.
Go to post 105 where he finally picks the parts to build his Toater Vehicle. Hint, he uses a Diamond T cab on an International frame then chops up an Airstream trailer for the sleeper box. (It's a long build so plan on it taking a long time to read it all.)
fawk it! i think i`m building a vintage truck - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

I think you guys will appreciate his skills. Kinda like Harelys here.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
Randy,
I think the post on the 4th of July get together was on the GooodMorning thread. Jay said that he was going to put in a few sites at Liberty Farms in Woodward, OK. and said that he always puts on a big fireworks show and invited us there. Some of us on here decided that we would take him up on that invite and see if we could help him with his project. Hope that you can make it. Looks like a nice park there, Rita and I are planning on staying somewhere in AZ the winter of 2016/2017.

Frank

Thanks Frank - I'll see if I can find that thread and get caught up!
We have a spot reserved for us here:
http://www.arizonianresort.com
I'll let you know in a few months how it is there... We plan on doing a bunch of exploring in the mountains with our SxS...

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443835957.912923.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	108611

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #3457

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
Glad that you are back with us, how is the leg? Good info for Terry.
Randy,
Hope that the park is what you want, it looks like a nice place. The people are what make the park, they become family, especially if you are there 5 or 6 months at a time.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #3458

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Curtis, we all have been having the same problem with posts disappearing before posting, some of us have had success copying as we write in case it goes. I have seen some of the guys builds over on Pirate, way better skills then mine. This next week I'm getting the trany so will let you know what I find out, but your info has been invaluable. Randy, nice looking SxS, wouldn't mind having one of those to drive the back country, enjoy. Frank, I agree. Looked last night at storage for the TH, huge new building with a hard packed floor, 75.00 per month, that's average for this area plus the guy that owns it lives on site and its right next door to a good friend that puts his TH in it, plus a State Trooper puts his TT in it too . I guess I will be getting the TH ready to store this weekend .