Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #3459

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, For anybody that's following along on my 5th wheel trailer flatbed build, we have a new vid up. If you want to get all my videos there's a subscribe button below the video, give us a thumbs up Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #3460

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Glad that you found an inside storage place, it will help keep the TH looking good. Nice job on the video. Hope that the trans works out for you, it sounds like it just might do what you wanted, reading between the lines from what Curtis said. I would guess that the torque converter and trans would bolt up,since it came off a DT466, You having an E shouldn't have anything to do with the trans. except maybe the kickdown, which could be electronic, instead of mechanical, but I doubt it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #3461

Man ,,,, this stuff is SO out of my knowledge base.

I'm dealing with more leaky brake lines on my RV and a intermittent ignition switch on my mom's 01 Saturn SL 1, RE: the starter only activates 95% of the time . (I'm gonna get more lines and hooking up a light to the starter exciter term to see if it is getting +12v when it isn't responding......) Can't have my 91yr old stranded!

I'm old school but not the BIG school! Skuh kuh kuh kuh

Terry
Fingers crossed that the tranny works with everything you already have on the 1st try on the Totr. !
Old 10-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #3462
bap

opc orn:-----this is great watching,,,,

keep up the good work ole buddy..

oooopppss,,,,,,dont know how the sticky tounge got on here and i cant get it off,,,,------sorry..!!!!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #3463

Freightliner Owners Club
rvpopeye,
There are 3 things that I have found on intermittent start problems. Starter solenoid, is the 1st, neutral safety switch, or shifter out of adjustment is the 2nd. And ignition switch is the 3rd. Now I'm not professing that these are all that it could be, but those are the things that are the most common problems.
Frank
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #3464

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
my question is this, does everyone want me to continue?
I don't contribute much but I sure enjoy reading about you work. I'm a full-timer with limited Internet data so I steer clear of videos. So, for me, the videos are not useful but I sure would like to be able to watch them!!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #3465

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Just got back, went out this morn for breakfast, don't do that much but felt like we should today. Frank, I think the trany should work, will find out this week, I don't think the E on the 466 means much more than electronic ignition instead of mechanical. Popeye, we all have our niches, I'm sure I wouldn't know the first thing about setting up a bands sound/ light system like you did. Now the Saturn that's another story, I agree with Frank on what could cause it, not saying that this is the problem but we had alot of trouble with the ignition switches. I would check connections first along with making sure that the wire has power when you turn the switch. brake lines on these rigs that do so much setting is sure a problem, especially here in the great northeast with all the salt. Bap thanks, we're getting better, (I think) at the videos. JFNM, Thanks, I know getting good internet is a big problem when I'm on the road, seems like there should be a good solution that won't cost an arm and a leg, (I want both of mine!!) jump in anytime.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #3466

On the Saturn ignition switch - check with your local GM dealer or on the web to see if it is part of the GM Recall.. My sister's 2004 Saturn Vue was on the list and she just had a brand new ignition switch installed along with multiple keys..
Of course that's not meaning to say that your problem is in the switch, but it would certainly eliminate it from contention.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-05-2015, 06:19 AM   #3467

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
Sounds good, hope that the weather is good for you, maybe you can have it in by the weekend.

Randy,
Good thought on the recall, I hadn't thought about that.

Frank
Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #3468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I don't think the E on the 466 means much more than electronic ignition instead of mechanical.
I think the computer controls fuel and timing. I understand one can't get a 225hp 466E without a 225hp 466E computer.

200hp+ mechanical 466 is possible with some simple fuel and timing mods.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #3469

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MT, From what I know your probley correct, an Authorized International dealer can reflash the computer to get an Authorized power increase, they won't only go to what the factory says is proper for the combo you have. I am going tomorrow finally to pick up the trans, . Yahoooo, maybe I'll get it together yet.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48 AM   #3470

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
I think that there are quite a few places that can turn up your ECM, but I would have to read up on the engine to know if there is anything else that needs to be done, or how far you can go reliably. A lot of times you need a bigger injector pump, upgraded turbo and larger injectors. But like I said I am unfamiliar with the DT466. I hope that you get to pick up the trans today, weather looks good here till Friday (rain), so you should be good till Saturday.
Frank
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #3471

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gotta do this quick before my ride shows up, leaving to get the trany . No rain here, maybe Friday we are planning for this weekend, get all the young mechanics together. Frank, I need to do some more research on how and what I can get out of this engine too, I want reliability first. Catch all later, Have a Great Day
Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #3472

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - good on the transmission. Hope the weather holds and everything goes as required. Not going to jinx you with any special wishes.

Agree with the reliability. I think the amount of time you will save by getting more power will soon be chewed up if you break something. Time is relative and the journey should be part of the experience.

I expect you will/can travel with most of the MH and trucks quite easily.