Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:24 AM   #3585

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Jay, certainly planning on coming on the 4TH, jump in anytime I know what you mean about juggling time. Gordon, it does have some good lines, hopefully we can get it built to look "right". Rail, yup it has a translucent panel in the middle of the roof, probley right about where the AC unit is going, I need to check on making sure the roof is taken care of it doesn't leak now, and I will be insulating the ceiling anyway so I don't need a clear panel. I will be dismantling the inside as it is and putting more supports and framing for windows, inclosing the rear and installing a door out the back. Catch all later.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #3586

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I have no doubt that it will look good when you get done. I can tell from what you just said that the plan is coming together. I can see why you were thinking of using it, it is in really good shape. Did you ever get tht truck camper that you were looking at for donor parts?
Jay,
We all understand about being either too busy, or too tired. Just remember to take a little time for yourself and Patti.
Have a great day all,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #3587

Your vision and abilities continue to amaze me...and inspire me to try new projects

Bow...
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #3588

Winnebago Owners Club
Good eye Rail. I missed that when I looked. I am liking this more and more.

Will the van body fit in the shop so you can work on it over the winter? Perhaps put it on the 5er frame you built to wheel it in and out and then lift it onto Tot'r in the spring???
Old 10-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #3589

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Titled and registered the Tot'r today, now I can drive it legally . So I went to the shop and drove the Tot'r home, good for it to be here for measurements ect. The transmission shifted great, no leaks life is good . Frank, the guy that never gets rid of anything got rid of the truck camper before I could get it, no biggie, I have another TT that has almost everything I need, a good bathroom, AC that's ice cold, some electrics and kitchen sink ! I already have the door I need, (from the donor 5th wheel) and some windows, I'm on my way . MK, thanks, I just muddle thru, trying to keep busy. Gordon, I could set it on a platform inside the shop, The thought has been there, I'm pretty sure I'll need to build a whole new platform/floor to attach the whole thing to the Tot'r. this one is built right on the frame of the van, and its pretty rusty anyway, it was destined to be a shed to store stuff before the Tot'r came along. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can go start tearing apart. Stay Tuned!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #3590

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Started disassembly of the van body, this is a fully formed fiberglass shell. The wall supports really surprised me, plywood strips glassed into place and the whole body was screwed thru the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1022151742.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	110170   Click image for larger version

Name:	1022151742c.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	110171  

Old 10-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #3591

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
It is amazing how those things are put together and that they actually hold up fairly well. I also know that before you are done that the structure will be 2 to 3 times more rigid and that it will probably weigh double or more what it is right now. I'm glad that you already have a donor, that will give you cabinets, furniture, bathroom , tanks etc.
It is going to be another interesting build for us to watch your amazing skills at work.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #3592

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning, Frank, I know, its pretty crazy how they last so long built the way they are, I used this truck to pull our race cars and it was loaded with tires and tools, it did a good job for several years. We certainly will put it back together a little differently. I'm thinking building the floor section with a steel frame then putting the wood floor on top, the sides of the box will be bolted into the steel. I'm still undecided on whether to bolt the body solid like it is now or make a pass thru like a semi and a sleeper, I'm leaning toward a pass thru, but if you look at the super C motorhomes they are bolted solid. I may have to go look again at some new ones to see how they did it. Here's a pic of the new "donor" trailer. Cold this morning again, 30* waiting for it to warm a little before we go at it again. Have a Great Day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0926151047.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	110217  
Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #3593

My vote is for pass-thru!! That'd be awesome...

-cheers
Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #3594

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are leaning, my vote would push you farther along for the pass through. Just think you or Eleanor could be making lunch while the other was driving!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #3595

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Piker, Gordon, I would open the passage between the cab and Sleeper/Box/RV/camper, (don't know what to call It) what I was meaning is this, I call a passage when there is a rubber boot and the box is not connected to the cab, the hole is not super big kinda like a big door, (without the door), the other way is to bolt the box solid with the cab and open up a bigger hole, like what you would see in a Class C or Super C Motorhome. ether way it could be accessed from the cab or thru the back door. Sometimes I don't explain things very well, hope that clears it up. Sunny but chilly today so gotta get with it again.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #3596

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My vote would be passthrough as well. Just being able to make coffee, get a cool drink or a snack while on the road would be well worth the effort IMHO.

Started rehabbing my 84 Mazda PU. Put a new engine in it about 5k miles ago. It's been my dump/hardware store runner for the last 5 yrs. Detailing it inside and out, refreshing all the blackout trim so she looks pretty again so I can sell her off.

DW is unhappy that I picked up two more Italians to restore. Hauling those to OK soon. So now thats 3 car projects + the Jeep I will have sitting in OK. "Don't you have enough stuff to do?" she says.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #3597

I wouldn't be surprised if Eleanor tells Terry that too.
Don't you have enough to do ? Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Well I think after Terry gets done the new truck will go real well with the toyhauler , kind of a matched set............maybe even have a cult following like Airstream does. Hmmmmmmm that might be......US!

Well , I pulled the plug on that Travco. It would have made a real fine rig for me but the guy wanted $4500 OBO , even if I could have talked him down to zero , I wouldn't have enough to redo it , would have needed a LOT of replacing.
It ain't over till it's over ,,,,still sittin' there waitin' for me to win the lottery.

Today , I went down and bought $160 worth of copper/nickel tube for the brake lines and another $70 of poly coat tubing for the fuel lines.
Sure will feel safer driving it after all that gets put in.

The structure will have to wait till another day,,,,,,,,still needs a set of sneakers too , 16 1/2" wheels Those should be fun to find with a fresh DOT date code !
Old 10-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #3598

On second thought , she's probably just as excited as he is to create the new travel rig.