Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #3599

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good evening, Jay, you never have enough to do, what's nice is restoring a car like that is its relaxing, it's not something that has to be done, you want to do it, that makes a big difference. Popeye, Eleanor, knows me all to well to say that, besides I'm doing way less now then I used to. We are hoping that the TV and the TH match, waiting for them to be done so we can paint lines to match. Got the box all gutted now I have to figure out how to remove it from the van frame, plus have to put in some reinforcing pieces so it can be picked up and hold its shape.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #3600

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I would vote on the bolt on solid, but you would have to put some body mounts under the box like the cab has. Donor looks good, you should have a complete living room set and dinette along with cabinets and at least a half bath. That way you could register it as a MH and you don't have all the commercial BS.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #3601

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, If I do a bolt solid I can do a bigger hole, I should be able to get some of the cabinets out of the donor, kinda going over the floor plan now so I can figure where the floor supports can go, I believe all the water drains are going on the pass side so I can tie them into the waste tank and dump on the correct side. Bathroom in the rear, then the kitchen sink and a counter all on the passenger side. that leaves the drivers side for a small dinette in the front then a jackknife sofa for the bed, with a closet in between. I have been looking into the RV licensing here in NY and so far can't find alot of info, DMV here hates when you want to change class on a vehicle, they gave me grief when I mentioned it was a flat bed and the title said utility. Heaven forbid I didn't say I was putting a box on it .
Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #3602

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi Terry,
I agree that with a bolt on that you can have a bigger opening. That was why I voted to go that way. Sounds like you have a good plan. I just ignore the idiots at the DMV, you just do what you have to. To get what you want, as long as you are doing it according to the regulations, and i know that you try to do that. Right now I am fighting with the state about the Echeck on my truck, they keep sending me letters saying that I have to Echeck it, and I'm over 10,000# GVWR and a diesel, also with my '03 there was no federal pollution controls on the truck, like EGR, CAT,etc.
I'm waiting on the letter now to see what they have to say this time, then I will come up with a plan of action.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #3603

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, we had the same problems with DMV saying we had to emissions check some diesels here in NY, come to find out ((at least on some) was the vehicles were titled wrong from the factory, the titles said they were gas and not diesel. I have another video up on replacing the trany, I know it's late, trying to catch up.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #3604

Winnebago Owners Club
Good video Terry;

Looks like a good group of fellows helped with the change. Very efficient as well. Took only 11 minutes to swap the transmissions and another 4 for the road test. With a crew like that you could go racing. LOL

Really like the sound of the truck on the road test. It will handle the TH very well I am thinking.

I took my laptop apart yesterday to give it a much needed cleaning. It took me much longer than 11 minutes to take it apart let alone put it back together. Am going to have to take it apart again as I have 4 screws left over. But it is running way cooler with all the dust and grunge out of it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #3605

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, good one LOL, Leave your car in NYC alone, and see how long it takes to have it in pieces , about 10 minutes. The truck has the 275 hp engine not a power house but should do the job better than the other one. The extra screws obviously were not needed anyway since it still works, we call those pocket parts, put'em in your pocket and forget'em . My son Andy was the one guiding the trany in, he was raised around me doing things and racing cars, he also was my shop foreman when we had the repair shop, so knows how to get things done. Oh I forgot it took a little longer to change the trany, we stopped for donuts, I just didn't tape it .
Old 10-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #3606

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
donuts!
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #3607

Winnebago Owners Club
It is always a pleasure to work with our children. Really nice when they take what we have taught them and are able to lead. You must be very proud.

275 may not be a lot of power but IMO is is lots. It will get you where you want to go dependably.

Popeye - donuts, chocolate, beer! 3 of the 4 necessary food groups. Well maybe coffee instead of beer.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #3608

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi All,

Terry, Not surprised you are having problems with the DMV with something you made or are making. They couldn't figure out mine and it is stock, nothing done to it.

I had called the DMV and they told me it would be $1.700 in taxes when I got the license. I went into the local office and no matter what I told the person at the desk and no matter what I showed them, they couldn't come up with the right info in their program. I ended up paying $1,200 so I didn't complain. Figured, taxes are paid, license is in hand, I can leave now.

They need to listen to you since you are the one building it but not likely to happen.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #3609

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Popeye, Gordon, Donuts is the #1 staple in the food group, for the shop. Lynne, The biggest thing with DMV is one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, I have asked the same question to several different people and get several different answers, you just need to find the one that'll sign the paperwork . Cold and windy here today so have been busy on the computer today, finished up the latest update on the Tot'r, now we are up to date.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #3610

Gulf Streamers Club
Great video Terry. Did I hear right that you are putting the holding tanks on the passenger side of toter? And also the fittings for dumping? All of my dumping valves, shore power hookups, and water hookups are on the drivers side. I think I mis-understood what you were saying.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #3611

Winnebago Owners Club
Good video Terry. Can see your vision for the future of Tot'r.

Sent you PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #3612

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Great video Terry. Did I hear right that you are putting the holding tanks on the passenger side of toter? And also the fittings for dumping? All of my dumping valves, shore power hookups, and water hookups are on the drivers side. I think I mis-understood what you were saying.

ronspradley
Yes, I caught that too, Ron!
Terry, all of the CG's are set up for the drivers side hook-up's and dumps!
Great video's , by the way!
As I stated in a previous post, if the frames on the tot'er and the van are the same outside width apart, you could cut the supports the same width as the tot'er, support the body, pull or drive the van out from under it, raise it some, and back the tot'er right under it, weld it to the tot'er frame? In a perfect world? Hahaha! Just thinking outloud!! Rail!