Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #351

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Terry;
Made it to Yuma and busy setting up. 97 here today - but its a dry heat. Hot no matter how you say it. Jacks work fine.

Checked out the picture of your light installation. Our lights are similar - the backup lights are the same as the tail light but have a clear lens. Probably have a bit more power than the running light, more like the brake lights.

The door looks good. Nice welding. Impressed with the insulating. It will be a warm rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #352

Stepped expanded metal would work but weight of it would be a concern.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #353

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, nice to hear your finally at your destination!, and that the jacks work. It sure would be nice to be looking forward to warmer weather. Everywhere there is a empty spot it gets insulated. I'm hoping the axles get here and I can get them installed, then I can move the rig. Seems I'm always thinking of the weather, Yuma would be real nice. HH, I have used expanded metal on some small trailers and it works well, I have a tendency to build (over build?) and the ramp is heavy, how it compares to "factory" doors I don't know, I haven't been able to find weights to compare. We will find out today if the springs will pick it up, if not I'll have to put another set on. I do know that our Harleys will not stress it.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #354
bap

i was thinking something gritty so u would have traction,,,,i dont know but maybe a ligfht textured bedliner,,or the the paint with grit in it, maybe the sticky stuff they put on stairs...
just a couple thoughts off the top of my head,,,,cause that is gonna get slick..

i watched a guy put a 30k bike in a pick up using 2 2x6s and a sheet of plywood,, it was misting i told him that would be bad if it slippedx on him...an yup right at the top he lost nit and it fell off the tailgate.......made me sick to watch that bike crash to the ground//,,,,,,,,
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #355

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Bap, its amazing to me the dumb things some people do, when I had my shop we had a dedicated ramp for loading and unloading bikes, but the contraptions that people had in their trucks where amazing. I also had thought maybe some form of spray on bedliner that had the traction ingredient in it, it would seal the wood and provide traction..........still thinking
Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #356

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harley1994,
When I was a kid, we made a floating deck for our pond. When Dad painted it, he mixed sand in the paint and rolled it on, very gritty and lasted forever. Both protects the wood and provides the traction that you need without any significant weight gain. Just another suggestion.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #357

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Frank, thats one way for sure, thanks for the suggestion. Well DW and I with the help of our 9yr old granddaughter (give me that wrench), we did it , the ramp is installed!!!. and it works! It is a little heaver than I'd like, one person can pick it up and down, but I would just like it easier, so an extra set of springs it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1013141119.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	76441  
Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #358

Finely crushed black walnut shells add to the bed liner "paint".

Looking good Terry. You have two supervisors now.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #359

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, thats for sure DW says I need all the supervision I can get. Here's a pic closed, I have to put door latches on now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1013141221.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	76444  
Old 10-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #360

Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW Terry!!!You have really dug in on getting her closed up!
Ihave to tell you.....She looks like a factory built setup for the ramp! NICE JOB!!!
I am watching so keep those pictures coming!

Thanks,
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #361

Deadbolts on the inside for security & latches on the outside since you will be dropping the ramp when outside.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #362

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just wanted to post, how much I have enjoyed your build. I wait each day to see the progress. Your doing a wonderful job and can't wait till your finished and have it on the road. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #363

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks so much everybody for the kind words, Craig, when you have cold weather breathing down your neck it's a big inspiration, HH, I have to check out a system that I saw in a parts place, it may be my extra spring and my latches all in one..........gotta go look, now that the ramps in place I see what I can use. WBBB1 welcome aboard! thanks for watching, next up are the axles so I can move it around.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #364

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - nice work in the door/ramp. Our 5er has diamond plate aluminum on the surface. It does get a bit slippery when it is wet especially if you get greedy with the power. I generally slip the clutch to drive the bikes in. The trailer is high so the angle is too. Reluctant to take a run at it as the tolerances are tight with two bikes. Wet clutch so a bit of slipping is OK. Have managed to burn outs on both the 5er and the stacker. LOL

If you would like I can reserve a spot for you here. Would enjoy meeting up with you and Eleanor. Let me know and I will head right down to the office.