Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #3655

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, That's a nice build! the guy obviously knows how to learn and apply what he learns. This time of year having a shop to work in definitely helps. Will have the last part of the van body video up in a little while.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #3656

Winnebago Owners Club
Well done Terry. Very interesting video.

There were a few spots where everything seemed to go into overdrive. I imagine this was a result of the coffee and donuts. (coffee - do things faster with more energy) LOL. Now I understand how you were able to change a transmission in 11 minutes.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #3657

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, What's that energy drink? that gives you wings? if you drink two you can move like that . I had the camera going during the whole thing needed to compress or get rid of some really boring stuff. Just finished the dropping it on the trailer part of the video, now need to upload to U Tube.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #3658

Looking good Terry! That is going to be nice.

Is there someway you can fabricate the floor, so that it drops over the truck frame? I think there is enough headroom in the body, and I like when they drop enough to cover the chassis frame. Makes it look made for, rather than sitting on? (if that makes sense?)

Added benefit is it lowers the center of gravity, and drops the above clearance some from the wind.

Just a thought, probably more work for sure.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #3659

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lloyd, the plan is to continue the side of the box down to inclose the boxes and tanks and continue into the rear hauler body, if I can keep headroom inside I can put more storage cabinets in.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #3660

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Here's the latest installment in an on going saga..............
Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #3661

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Terry,

Been watching and have something I want to throw out there. You said that you plan to put the Bathroom on the right side (passenger side)? Then the kitchen also on the passenger side and a jack knife sofa on the driver's side? Is this correct?

When you have the jack knife sofa out it will be close to the kitchen or bathroom wall making it difficult for someone to make a cup of coffee or get to the bathroom.

Is there room to put the bathroom on the driver's side at the rear of the box and the kitchen on the passenger's side? Your plumbing would not have to be run all the way down the passenger side but the main reason I ask is this.

If the sofa was on the driver's side at the front the box and you had a fixed seat (like you did in the TH that Eleanor covered in orange) with drawers below it for clothing storage (like a dresser) and Eleanor could cover this one also maybe the site clearance would be better.

By site clearance I mean the space available or limited by walls and shape that the eye sees. If you do it the way you plan, you are creating a rectangular space. Not a bad thing, but it can close things in on you visually while sitting on your sofa if you are looking across at the kitchen or bathroom wall.

If you put the bathroom and kitchen both at the back, you create a square space at the front of the box. It allows for a more open visual space Someone can make coffee or use the BR without getting in anyone's way.

Sitting on the sofa with the fixed storage seating area across from it, the area is more visually open possibly making your visual clearance better. Also that bench could be a place for the Grand-daughter to sleep or one of you to sit and enjoy that cup of coffee while another person sleeps undisturbed. And if you get really creative (which we know you can) you could make a drop down counter over that bench seating for more counter space. You could also have cupboards over the bench seating.

It's just a thought. Figured it was worth mentioning. Make one of your rooms to plan it out and see if it makes sense to you. Either way, it's gonna be great and what you and Eleanor both need.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #3662

Good eye beamisl. ...good eye...
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #3663

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - pretty impressive backing up. Am looking forward to traveling with you. I feel that watching you will give me many pointers and tips that will help my driving.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:42 AM   #3664

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Great video's, Terry! I second Gordon's view on your backing, only pulled up once! That is something that just comes natural to us trucker's! Also, I see how you get so much done now, you have a hyper speed button! Had that baby put in when you had the knee done?!
Great Job! Rail!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #3665

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lynne, will be checking out your suggestions, the only thing I have to do is have all my plumbing on the drivers side. MK, Lynne always has some good ideas. Gordon, the first semi I drove didn't have power steering, so learned real quick to not make very many turns, set your self up the first pull in and it makes backing so much easier, Rail, remember the Million Dollar Man? with all the steel in me Eleanor calls me bionic maybe it rubbed off . Have to go for my 6 month infusion today, setting in a chair all day is not my idea of fun . but its only twice a year. Have a Great Day All .
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #3666

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning.

Been thinking about Lynne's ideas. Merit there if you can get the water to and from the tanks and there is room enough between the kitchen and washroom for the door.

Possible idea. If you build an insulated floor you could carry the water line and the sink drain in the floor. It would only take a couple inches of insulation under the drain line (water line would be right against the floor) to make it work.

With room in the floor you could run the heat through the floor to keep the lines warmed or just throw in heat tape if not. Would need a couple clean outs on the drain line for convenience sake.

How tall is the van body? How tall is the frame? Would a 4 or 6 inch floor under the van make you taller than the TH?

I guess the questions have to do with how you plan to use it. Will you be doing much cold camping? If not you may not need more that enough floor thickness to get the drain pipe through. With air on board it would be very easy to blow the water lines out if in doubt about the weather. The drain pipe would keep clean if water were dumped in fairly large quantities (sink full after doing dishes).

Main issue for the drain pipe is the long flat run from one side to the other.

Random thoughts here.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #3667

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Terry you are having too much fun
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #3668

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Survived #1 infusion, in two weeks get a second one and I'm good for 6 months, hopefully. Gordon, like almost everything I've learned building the TH, the Tot'r isn't any different, I was thinking of what you and Lynne suggested and I will be making some changes, stay tuned. I'm thinking of building a slide in the pass side, I can build it into the frame of the floor. Which means for ease of building all water will stay in the drivers side. Jay, we always have fun.