Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #3683

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I Have the time just don't have the shop, my first thought was a full wall slide . Jay, that's my problem after selling my auto shop I don't have the room to build anymore . Just ordered the steel for the platform, will pick it up on Monday morning at 10:00. so hopefully by Friday the body will be on the Tot'r .

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #3684

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
A full wall slide on a 12' body is not unreasonable. I understand about wanting to get it mounted before weather moves in so you can finish it inside like you did the inside of the TH. Although I agree with Gordon that a drivers side slide is ideal, with your situation and the size of the box, I think a passenger side slide would serve your purposes much better. And you could get by with no slides, especially if you are only planning on using the Tot'r for a couple days at a time as a stand alone unit.
Again, just my humble opinion.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #3685

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Terry,

Another thought. Bath and kitchen on driver's side. Bath and kitchen sink fixed wall and rest of kitchen in a slide. No problems with plumbing that way.

On passenger side you could put the closet in a slide for the improvement of the visual appearance. More eye room. Both slides mechanisms could be hidden in bottom of cupboards or in a bench that would be under the closet slide. Doesn't need to be 3 feet for either slide, just enough for cupboards or closet depth. If you plan to put in a 12 inch wide closet and a 30 inch bench, you could have a 30 inch closet this way.Would cut down on weight but give you a bit more storage room even if you are going to use it for just short trips.

The time of year is your biggest issue right now but you also don't want to get to next summer and go to use this and say "Darn it, I knew I should have put that slide in". As particular as you are about your builds just don't want to see you have that happen so thought I would throw this out there.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #3686

I always think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are there any slides that WON'T LEAK ????????
Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #3687

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
I always think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are there any slides that WON'T LEAK ????????
No - some just leak less!

A slide will always leak something. If not water it will be air or dust or an entry way for insects (especially sugar ants).

However IMO the benefits are equal or greater to the downside.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #3688

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening All, Frank, I think with no slide the usability for fast setup, quick bite to eat, sleep in a rest stop ect. without going to the TH will be best, I think I'll install an awning that I can put a room on for those times that I use it alone and need more room. Lynne, I doubt that this will be my last Truck/Toter that I build, My next one could be built much slower since I will already have this one to use, I am thinking that I like air brakes (this truck doesn't have) and a bigger engine, ( I know I haven't even drove this one loaded yet, but I just know me ) Popeye, I have to agree with Gordon . HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY
Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #3689

Hi all, Happy Halloween.

I agree with no slide for the reasons you mentioned. Though you could put the parts in place I for the future.

Now for a future project you could put a slide in the TH and then mount it on the new truck (with the big engine and air brakes). A trailer (with the old running gear from the TH) for hauling the Harley's would let you turn the garage in the TH into a small workshop so make the trailer big for hauling supplies for projects while on the road .
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #3690

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - good that you were able to make a quick decision about the slide. Have to agree with no slide for the reasons you stated. The purpose of the Tot'r was not be be a full size totter home but a short term stay and travel space.

Creating it with no slide will make the closing in quick and easy as well as giving you a good window for completion.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #3691

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
A slide would give more room, but I also agree with the no slide for what you intend to use the Tot'r for. Now it is almost time for the Tot'r build, can't wait, it will be as good or better than the TH rebuild. Hopefully the steel comes in and you can start soon. You have to remember that once you get out and start enjoying, that you might run out of time to build another one. Especially if Eleanor decides to retire before you get started on it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #3692

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rain showers today then they are predicting a really great week of weather here, sunny and warm middle 60's, will be good for building . George, a mobile shop would be nice. Gordon, should be able to build the platform and mount the box this week, will be pushing for it if all works out. Frank, I have an appointment at the steel supplier to pick up the order, all paid for just need to pick up. I have bought steel at this place for 30 years, its one of the oldest steel suppliers, I think over 100 years old at one location, great bunch of guys. Isn't there always time to build another truck? hope so . Well gotta go organize the shop.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #3693

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Or the build will go twice as fast with Eleanor there helping everyday. Might cause more builds.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #3694

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lynne, So true, I get alot more done when Eleanor home to help.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #3695

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sorry but IMO the problem of not being able to build another Tot'r (senior) because you are out camping somehow does not seem like a problem to me. Hope to be with you for some of those travels.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #3696

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon, You hit the nail on the head, that would be a good "problem". I also would like to do some traveling with you, there is so much to see in this great land, here and in Canada. Got the garage picked up to the point of being able to work inside again, just not big enough to put the whole thing in at the same time . Had to stop.......Eleanor just made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, real good with coffee