Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #3739

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Popeye, yup, this one will go easier as far as installing "stuff" I have experimented with the TH. Rail, thanks, building the hauler body I think will have to wait till next spring, unless I find someone with a big enough shop to donate the space , (with heat of course). Next step is insulating the floor and installing the top floor, then closing in the rear. Lloyd, yes I will be able to access the body thru the cab, like a sleeper on a semi. There was a set of power steps on Craigs list, hmmm......... 70's again today last day the weatherman says , then into the low 50's. life in the great northeast

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #3740

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Glad that you have enough clearance between the body and tires, the last pic shows this. Remember to leave enough room for your air ride dump when you build the deck over the tires. I see that with the TH hoked up that there is no way to be able to get to the steps. Hope the weather holds up long enough for you to get the floor insulated and topped, so you can work inside closed up. Now that you have it mobile, you can at least pull it up to the shop and then move it away when you are done for the day.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #3741

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thought. Steps on passenger side?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #3742

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, Good point on the clearance for the air dump , I'll have to figure in that, of course I need to install the air ride too . This build will be easier, (famous last words), because your right It's mobile. Gordon, if I can put steps in/on I think I would put them on the passenger side, so coming down you wouldn't be in traffic, if you was parked near a street. Have a great day all.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #3743

Gulf Streamers Club
Terry, are you thinking of building steps or building a ladder. Ladder would be easier to build? Just another idea.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #3744

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron, I've thought about both actually, if I was to build a ladder I could put it close to the back of the box, it could be stored by making it a pull out from the side of the body, kinda like the pull out ramps on a car trailer. The only thing is you would have to get out the truck door and pull them out. If I can build steps into the side of the body they would be there if someone just went out the back door. Kind of a dilemma .
Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #3745

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Ron, I've thought about both actually, if I was to build a ladder I could put it close to the back of the box, it could be stored by making it a pull out from the side of the body, kinda like the pull out ramps on a car trailer. The only thing is you would have to get out the truck door and pull them out. If I can build steps into the side of the body they would be there if someone just went out the back door. Kind of a dilemma .
Not too much of a dilemma.

First if the TH was hooked up you could not use the stairs. If you were only using the Tot'r the stairs would be available. In this case you would have to go through the front if the TH were connected. Problem solved.

Ramp style stairs would be usable whether or not the TH was attached, saving climbing over the seats. If you build ramp type stairs you would likely just get out of the front, walk around and pull them out. Issue could be driving away while they are still down. A walk around should catch that.

Issue for both is a hand railing. Last thing I would want is to try to walk down a set of stairs without a railing. Starting to get to the point where those little safety items are becoming more important and smarter IMO.

Just finished building a small platform in front of the door to kick off shoes, for Janet to decorate (read that as not much room left for shoes). It is only 19.5" so it has three steps, and a hand railing!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #3746

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon, You do put things in perspective . I do agree on the hand rail too, I used to think nothing of climbing up the side of a load of pulpwood to hook cables for the crane to unload, that was 13' plus now I think about standing on my pickup . A platform outside the door is nice, at one of the RV shows I was at there was a platform that came out with a slide out side the door.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #3747

Gulf Streamers Club
Terry, when you are talking of building stairs, are you looking at two part steps, the top part built cut in to the platform behind the box? And the bottom part hinged and folding up into the top space making it all flat when stowed? And then maybe a chain handrail at rear of platform that is put up when not hooked to TH? Does that make sense?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #3748

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Terry;
I think that is a sign of maturity. Used to be we were immortal or indestructible or just plain lucky. But I am finding I hurt easier and take longer to heal. I plan to live long enough to get all the money I paid the government back in old age pension and I am going to spend all of it. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	111299

Built this last year from a porch we had for the 5er. The 5er was 33 inches off the ground. This is not as high but we like getting our shoes off of the ground. Rumor has it there are scorpions about and they like to hide out in shoes!!! Have yet to see a scorpion down here but there is lots of anecdotal evidence.

The bracket for the dish was built by a young fellow at home. He built it to attach to a bicycle mounting bracket we have on the front of the 5er mounted to the pin box. Interesting thing was I took the dish and bracket off and stored it in the shed. This fall I pushed the steps into place, mounted the dish and bracket and without moving anything am getting a 85 signal strength.

I love the exercise of brainstorming and planning. It does not cost much and keeps the brain moving. I try to stay within the realm of practicality so it can be built at a good price. Not always successful but it is still fun.

I think Ron has started another route to investigate. I am going to think about that idea as well. I like the ideas of chains as long as they are fairly taunt.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #3749

I pictured something like this that folds up almost flat.
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #3750

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Ron, I hadn't thought of that but I can certainly picture it. Gordon, Nice that makes it very homey rather than the plain old steps going in and keeping Scorpions out is a plus!! George, checked out their website they have some nice steps, storing them would be my only concern. Wished I had one when I was driving semi's climbing on a flatbed was always a pain.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #3751

Greetings all!

I have a different vision. I like the idea of a full platform behind the body, sort of a flatbed. Slash cut the rear corners (to allow more clearence on the TH). The hitch can sit in a well in the appropriate place and if no trailer you could walk all around there. If not taking the trailer, you have a porch back there. Can make the hitch removable, a cover for the well and you have a flatbed.

Just behind the right side tires, a panel in the floor would lift up, revealing a stair well that starts right at the frame rail. I think there would be room for 3 steps before you get to the outside perimeter of the body, and then 2 or 3 more steps that fold down.

I suspect the stairs maybe somewhat useable with the trailer on, perhaps if you turned the rig a little bit.

With this flatbed style, you could incorporate a pretty nice rear skirt with lights etc that would look pretty nice and fill the need of the required rear bumper to prevent run unders.

Ladders are hard to navigate with your hands full, like when loading up for a trip, or carrying your beer!

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckbed 3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	111303  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #3752

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lloyd, that's kinda what I had in mind, Ron, suggested the fold up stairs too, that could fold up and become part of the body. Here is a truck bed similar to what I want to build.
Attached Images