Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #365

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, Thanks! this TH is going to be high also, so have to wait until axles are in before I get a final height, I might need a flip over plate to ease the transition up the ramp. There is nuthing I would like then to be heading for Yuma !! while I'm retired DW is not, got a few more yrs. (I know she would not appreciate being left behind) the locks would be changed when I got back!

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #366

Time for no more blue tarp party?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #367

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, I guess I'll save the party for when the whole trailer is done. If I have a party when each section is done I won't get it done LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #368

Its atleast time for a nice steak.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #369

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, Harley1994, I just found this thread, two days ago, and have been following it ever since! I am totally amazed at what you have done so far, and the quality of the work, that you are doing out in your yard! The suggestions have been top shelf from everyone! And I have learned a lot along the way! Now I will be like everyone else, and waiting to see your next post! I do not know what I can add, if anything, to help you along your way? But if something or some question that I can answer, I will in a heartbeat! I am retired, early, and presently in Thailand, my motorhome is waiting for me and my DW in Phoenix. We have two S&B here, and the MH in the states. She is still working and has a few more years before we can both retire fully! So now we are waiting for our next trip to the states, it will be in March/April. You should be done with your project by then, and I hope to see you out on the road or in a CG somewhere! I will surely recognize your 5th Wheel, as it will be one of a kind! Keep up the great work!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #370

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, I will surely have that on the grill. Guardrail, Thanks so much, I have been approaching building the TH the same way I used to build race cars, only this is a case of feeling my way along as I go, the people on this forum truely are great and keeping me on the straight and narrow, no suggestion is too small, we look at them all. If in some small way we get someone to start their own project by showing it can be done without a factory thats great. I hope when this is done and we are traveling, if someone recognizes it they will come over, all are welcome. Thailand Wow we've gone international!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #371

Terry, being you have a blank slate on the windows have you thought about some double pane windows?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #372

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, Right now I plan on using the original windows, it would be nice to be able to go to double pane, but these are in nice shape, I need to paint them to match the door and bring them up to more modern style. They are the weak point of the insulation "package".
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #373
bap

if u use sand in the paint,,,,buy the clean dry sand for playgrounds,,,,i tried using sand from a creek sandbar and it just wouldnt wok,,,,i let it dry forever ,,,still not good....,,,,,,if you use a bedliner use the finer texture,,,,easy to clean than the heavy herculiner stuff.,,,

ramp looks great,,,,-----wouldnt it be kool if we all could meet up somewhere this spring----after turkey season of course....lol....but say like june or so...

you have turned us into a bunch of groupies.....lol
Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #374

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Bap, DW was using a paint called Restore, its for painting decks ect. on her mothers deck and a ramp thats on the side of it. It has a rough texture and its durable made for hi traffic areas, and can get in any color, I've got to ck it out, another option. It would be nice to all meet, crazy this has got this far.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #375
bap

use the olypic brand,,,,i just used the retore on our decks one section last year and the rest this year....and its already coming off,,,,made sure we didnt even walk on it for a full 30 days......but my buddy used the olympic brand and in a few hours it worked great...and after a year or more still looks great....
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #376

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Terry
I think you will have to plan for a flip over plate. We have one on both trailers. It makes the transition from the ground to the ramp much smoother. IMO the bounce caused by the thickness of the door is a hazard, especially when the front wheel bounces over. As the front wheel goes up the ramp your distance to the ground increases until just before the back wheel hits the ramp. Unless you have really long legs you may be tip toeing for a brief time. Can get a bit unsteady at that time.

As well I think if you are able to get the front wheel up and ease the back wheel to the ramp there may be some issues when the back wheel tries to climb onto the ramp.

On the Wells Cargo trailer we lay a 2x4 to act as a transition. It works but a flip over would be better.

There is a beavertail on the stacker so I can get in without a problem at the transition to the floor from the ramp. On the 5er I cannot get across even with the suspension as high as it will go. I had to put block the ramp by 3" and then would clear. The flip over is needed then.

Option for Yuma is for you to travel down and set up. Then Eleanor can fly down for vacation.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #377

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, one more thing to think about is the clearance of the underneath of your bike when you get to the top of the ramp and start in the TH, you do not want to high center or scrape your pipes! You can always raise the front of the TH up, with the landing gear, so the angle is not so great. Just a thought. Rail.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #378

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, I had figured that I would need some kind of flip plate, right now until I get the axles in and come up with a final height ( I have an idea but like to wait), then I'll know how much extra spring I'll need also, (for the door). I also will need a short flip plate for the ramp to inside garage. Yuma, you do remember I don't have axles yet right? LOL.