Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #3781

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, love the videos! They make me smile, and you sure get around good for having that knee replaced! The back side and door look very good, and after you get the hole cut in the front, and the boot in, she will be weather tight, and ready for the inside stuff! I think it will be easy to heat, even before you get the insulation put in! Not that big of area! I heated my sleeper on my Freightliner with a Stanley squirrel cage ceramic heater, and it kept it toasty warm, even in the coldest temp's! Hey, I sent you a PM! Got a few question's? Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #3782

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Another great video Terry, If you just had a spotter and someone to hand you tools and equipment, you would be able to get twice as much done. I understand about doing things by yourself, you spend more time running back and forth than you do actually working.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #3783

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Jay, that property sounds very nice especially the taxes, I have 45 acres here and my taxes are well north of 5000.00 a year. I don't think I'm buying anymore land through, would love to just sell this to my son and get out of Dodge , maybe after Eleanor retires. It's always a challenge to figure what will sell a house, my MIL tried to sell hers and couldn't so we went in and redid the hardwood floors, changed a couple of doors, laid carpet upstairs and painted a neutral color thru out the house jacked the price up and sold it, people are nuts.
I hear ya on people being nuts. On the upside, we had a couple come back yesterday and spend over an hour in the house. We know because we watched from down the street. Our agent said they couldnt find what they were looking for in their price range. Apparently she has a dog training biz and needs property. We have just about 1/3 acre here. She also wanted a more modern floorplan. Around here you cant have both of those unless you build it yourself or that is nearly twice what we are selling for. We know because we have looked.

As for not owning land... ya gotta have a place to park your toys and enough room for a shop. The one I mentioned is pretty flat ground and relatively clear. Besides I'd love to have you as a neighbor. Just sayin.

The Toter is coming along brother. Enjoying watching this build too.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #3784

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, I just realized I didn't post this am , mostly I get on, read and then come back and post, apparently I didn't get back. Rail, I really work hard at keeping going, try not to let the aches and pains get to me. I think that the box, (I need to call it something besides a "box", I think of it as an extended sleeper), will be easy also to heat. Frank, my granddaughter does a good job when she's around giving me a hand, young legs can run faster than me for sure! Jay, I'll keep my fingers crossed on the sale, be nice to be able to move on with the plan. It'd be nice having a CLACer for a neighbor, mostly my neighbor's here don't do much, (the one next to me says living next to me is like watching a reality show) . After raining all night here I checked for leaks in the Tot'r, so far every clearance light seeps, and the seam where they put the rear cap together leaks . So I'll replace the clearance lights with LED's and new grommets, there the kind that push in with a rubber gasket. and I already cleaned the seam across the roof and resealed it with Dicor Lap Sealant. Have A Great Night All.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:34 AM   #3785

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, those type of clearance lights are the same as I had in the Freightliner visor, as it did not go to the inside of the body, I never worried if they leaked! But I think, if you put a little dab of silicone under the rubber lip when you put the rubber grommets in, let them dry, then put your sealed beam lights in, it should be ok! I would make sure the hole where the wire goes through gets a dab of sealer too, while you have them off! They may have cut the holes for them a little big, if they are loose when they are installed. They should be tight and kind of hard to get the sealed beam lights in, if the holes are the right size! You can use Vaseline to get the lights to slip in better! If they are loose with the new rubbers, you may have to use silicone to put the lights in, the sealed beams will last a very long time, so you won't have to change them!
Jay, hope the house is perfect for the dog lady, and she gives you a great offer!! Fingers crossed!!
Yes, it would be great to have a fellow Clac'r as a neighbor!! Never a dull moment!! Rail!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #3786

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Cool and gray this am, rain again today , have to set in the Dr's all day today, last infusion for six months. Rail, I think I'll silicone them in, the hole seems to be a little large, plus the rubber grommet is probley 20 yrs. old and hard, plus changing to LED I won't have to screw with them. Have a Great Day All.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #3787

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Sounds like you have a plan as always. You might want to think about putting a strip of Etabond along that seam to prevent future leaks, if the lap selant doesn't quite do the job. I was thinking about your granddaughter when I said about the spotter.
Jay,
Hope that the house goes, then that's one more thing off the check list(and a very big one at that).
I agree with all of you that having a fellow "Clacker" as a neighbor would be great. Although I am not sure how the DW's would like it with us being involved in so many projects that would surely come up.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #3788

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry,
I wanted Led's but couldn't find the funds, saving for new rubber on the rear. I know you know what your doing, Just a FYI we replaced our 1 lamp bulb too a 2 bulb (Blade type bulbs). We used a roll of ribbon caulk and then sealed the base. We used Almond silicone window and door hoping it would match a little better but I think it look's nice.
I still find your talent amazing too do what your doing and doing it solo. I'm going back too watch the video.
Thanks for the video's
Tim
This picture showing the curtains before I washed them, LOL
Great video
I forgot to ask, couldn't you use radiant heat in the floor? Sounds like you will have the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151005_171559.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	111749  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #3789

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Terry it's good that you can find the leaks while it's just a shell. Sure makes it a lot easier.

CLACers for neighbors is a great thing. I have a lot of friends that are. We always gather round when someone is planning or doing a project, enjoy a beverage and bounce ideas off each other. Then when it's time to get to work, everyone pitches in.

The DW's do just fine. They sit around enjoying a beverage and come up with projects that need doing, as if we need help with that. When it comes time to do them they often go faster due to all the hands on deck.

There are a few near Liberty Farms. An uncle of mine and his son have places right down the road. Uncle owns an auto shop. My cousin and his son work there and they have a full on race car shop at home. They race every weekend.

There are contractors and farmers all around and most folks in the neighborhood get along. Spent a bit of time out there last year and got to know some of them. Several members of my family live within 1/2 mile and know them all all.

Off topic, but all that is to say I'd welcome you fellas as neighbors. Cant wait until we see you on the 4th.

Think I will wrench on one of the project cars I picked up last month. If you dont hear from me tomorrow you will know DW killed me.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #3790

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Back from the infusion, makes me tired and gives me a major headache. Frank, I thought about using Eternabond, didn't have any on hand so we'll see if just the Dicor does the job, easy to get to if need be. Tim, Thanks! I know LED's can be expensive, I like how brite they are and supposed to last, your projects are looking pretty good also. Not sure that radiant heat would work in the Tot'r but I do like it, I have worked in a couple shops that had it in the floor and it was nice. Jay, yup sure is alot better to find them now, pretty easy just shine a light around and sh_t there's another one . . The full race shop would feel at home, that's where we started many years ago now. Good luck sneaking out to work on the project car Enough for now catch all in the am.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #3791

Just a thought... I'm a big fan of radiant and hydronic heating systems... If you have enough head room inside... you could shim the floor up to make room for some half inch pex and put new underlayment over the shims... you could use a spare propane hot water tank out of an old RV for the heat source... as long as it's mounted below the pex, the hot water would gravity feed through the loop and you wouldn't even need a pump... just a normally closed 12v solenoid valve that would open when the thermostat calls for heat. You'd lose a little heat transfer efficiency, but you could put glycol in the system so it wouldn't have to be drained over the winter. The power requirements would be minimal... the heat would be cozy...

... the extra work might not be worth it... lol

-cheers
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #3792

That's freaking genius!!!....
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #3793

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, I did something similar 30 years ago with a homemade solar hot water collector, I put a stone lined water tank upstairs so it was above the collector and it would heat the water for the bathroom, something like that would work in the Tot'r, possibly could be hooked up to the engine's cooling system to run while going down the road, just would need a thermostat in line so the engine wouldn't cool off too much. Tim, you see what happens when you throw out a suggestion? A CLACer picks it up and runs with it.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #3794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
possibly could be hooked up to the engine's cooling system to run while going down the road
Well, I know for a fact that some of the RV hot water tanks have a heat exchanger in them that plumbs right into the engine coolant system... we have one in our old HR. They work pretty slick...

Instead of tying the heat exchanger into the engine... how about tying it into a little wood boiler off the back of the Toter...

-cheers