Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #3795

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Beverly Hillbillies wouldn't have nothing on me ,

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:15 AM   #3796

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, My semi gen. was made by Double Eagle Sleeper, and it was a 10k and had no radiator, it had a pump that was run of the 3 cyl. Kobota diesel motor. It pumped the coolant up thru the truck radiator, and in the winter, kept the big motor warm, also pumped the coolant thru the heater core's front and back, so we just wired the fans up direct, so also had heat! It also had a small ford tractor alt. 60w that kept the battery's charged! So with that, it would have been easy to plumb the floor into that system, man, where were you clac'rs when I had my sleeper built?
Glad your day at the Dr. went OK! Ibuprofen for that headache!!
Jay, you can hide the "Black Eye" with sunglasses!!
Piker, hell-of-a-idea!!
Every one have a great day Rail!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #3797

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great idea Piker
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #3798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Great idea Piker
Frank
Well, I don't know if it's "great" or not... but I think it would work... especially in a relatively small area like this.

I used to sell and install fancy indoor wood boiler systems a few years back, so I have a little experience with hot water and hydronics and controls. We have heated strictly with wood for the past 17 years, and for the last 5 years it's been with what's called a downdraft gasification wood boiler that comes out of Austria... just a fancy name for a very efficient solid fuel burning device. (92% - 93%) I used 2 5000 gallon propane tanks in a closed system as thermal storage. I fire the boiler once per day for like 5 hours at full output (most efficient burn) to charge these tanks, and then the rest of the radiant zones in the house sip off of the storage tanks through out the next day. This time of year we can go 2 or 3 days without firing the boiler and still stay warm... and when the power goes out for extended periods, I can run the generator for 5 hours to fire the boiler, and then run a single circulator off an inverter and RV batteries to keep us warm for the rest of the day. OF course we can recharge the rv batteries when the genny is running...

At any rate... these thermal storage systems can be made to thermal siphon into the house above if you plumb them right and use the right type of emitters... just made me think of applying to an rv. Of course, the extra weight of thermal storage and a wood boiler would not be practical. ... but the gravity feed certainly would.

-cheers
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #3799

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, that's a neat idea for your sleeper, I've seen the diesel fired heaters for sleepers, I have a heater/air conditioner unit for a condo sleeper that could be plumbed in for on the road. Frank, there's no end to the good ideas here on the forum. Piker, you've got me thinking on heating my S&B with a unit like this, we've used wood and now pellets for over 30 years here.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #3800

Winnebago Owners Club
The ideas are coming fast and furious.

Only comment I have on the in-floor is how the Tot'r will be used. In floor would be great when traveling in cooler weather as well as when camping in cooler weather. Places where you could turn it on and leave it on to keep the temperature at a comfortable level.

I wonder how it would be used when the overnights are low and the days are quite warm. In-floor was not a big item on our list. During the winter we turn the heat off at night. It may be in the high 50 or low 60 inside overnight, fine to sleep in but a bit cool first thing in the morning. Currently we turn the furnace on to bring the temperature up to the mid 60 when we first get up. Once the chill is off we turn the furnace off because by mid afternoon it will be in the mid 70 to mid 80.

We started this morning at 65 and already it is 68 inside by 10am.

IMO in-floor provides great constant heat that is very comfortable. I believe it would be difficult to regulate in an environment that is best dealt with short bursts of warmth.

As a note I was reading one thread where the comment was made that some of the in-floor heating in coaches can take up to 12 hours for the floor to fully warm and become uniform. Comment was that most used alternate forms of heat when in the variable conditions we encounter.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #3801

You make good points about radiant heat Gordon...

One of the biggest drawbacks to a radiant system is trying to keep the temperature regulated in the "shoulder" seasons, especially in a radiant concrete slab application where the specific heat of the concrete is high (meaning it can store lots of BTU's). At night when the temperature drops and the thermostats kick on, there's a lag in getting the room temperature to rise because the floor itself sucks up and stores a lot of the btu's before the temp in the room can change... and likewise, in the morning as outdoor temps rise, and the thermostats stop calling for heat, the stored btu's in the mass of the floor continue to radiate heat, and you end up overshooting your setpoint.

In our case, we added an air handler that uses water to air heat exchange to feed a few ducts into the first floor. Hot water feeds through a radiator and a fan blows air through the radiator and into the house. This gives us good shoulder season operation of the heating system with quick recovery and no issues with overheating the house later in the day. Once the temps stay consistently below 40, the radiant really works nice.

I would think that on something like this Toter, where the mass of the floor is minimal, and also exposed to cold air directly underneath, that the effect of stored BTU's might not be as big an issue. There's no doubt that forced air provides the quickest recovery though... the downside is that floors in RV's during cold weather are generally uncomfortable. We drove down to Florida 2 years ago over new years in our RV, and even though we were able to keep it warm inside the RV when it was only 10 or 15 F outside, the floors were like ICE.

The other downside to a properly installed radiant system is price. The pex is cheap, but copper and brass fittings are not... nor are air vents, expansion tanks, etc. As with everything, there are good and bad points...

-cheers
Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #3802

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Aquahot type heating as well. Looping the system though the vehicle coolant system has two advantages. Free heat when underway, and keeping the engine block warm when using the burner. The burner can be diesel or wood fired. In floor heating is nice for long term, but I agree it's worthless when trying to warm up quickly. However a few heat exchangers with blowers strategically placed solve that issue. Used heater cores are a cheap option. Nothing like a warm floor in stocking feet.

But..... how often will one be camping in freezing weather? Ski trips side, isn't the whole idea behind being mobile to chase the sun? Just sayin'.

Terry, you certainly have never had a shortage of input on here.

Ahhh the CLACers life.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #3803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
But..... how often will one be camping in freezing weather? Ski trips side, isn't the whole idea behind being mobile to chase the sun? Just sayin'.
Amen...

-cheers
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #3804

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one of those type heaters in the rear of our MH. Heater hose from the 454 and runs to a small Heater core with a fan. It's kind of loud but heats wonderfully. There is also a supply line from the furnace to the bathroom. I am planning on changing that run (currently ribbed tube) with a normal galvanized line and then buy the insulation to wrap it. So we have plenty of heat.

Gordon,
34 last night with the high's today of 45
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #3805

Winnebago Owners Club
Come south soon Tim.

Was in the high 50 overnight with the high today of 79. Warmer tomorrow.

Mid winter will see low 40 overnight with day temps around 70, at least here. We have had some days in previous years where the high was 56.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #3806

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Actually I would have liked to have the radiant heat in the TH, the Tot'r for all intents is just a short term and or while on the road, maybe a short trip close by. That being the purpose just rudimentary heating sources will probley suffice. Although the CLACer in me always is thinking as all of you are also, I love the ideas and the back and forth opinions and expertise that everyone has, Thus we have a good "think tank" here Jay, I don't ski so it won't be used for that LOL. Tim, the heater unit that I took out of one of the sleepers is just like the one you have so I think it may get hooked up for when we are on the road.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #3807

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
That should work fine to heat that small space, especially if you insulate it anywheres near what you did the TH. I am also a big fan of the multiple ideas that are given on here. Even if the idea as a whole can't be used, a lot of times there are parts of the idea that are used.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #3808

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, The unit that I have could also be tied into the AC, so it would cool as well, I have a feeling the cooling will be used more than the heating, (I hope) the Tot'r will be even tighter insulation wise because of the fiberglass "box" is almost air tight, at least before I cut in the windows.