Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #3893

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Paint it flat black and everyone would think your some kinda secret police unit.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #3894

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I wonder if the police would pull you over just to make sure the thing is road legal and actually just for a look

I think it would definitely get a lot of attention.
I guess they would want to look at it and get a picture or two. I know I would be interested if it were near me.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #3895

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, here's a short video on the Donor trailer.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #3896

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - looks like a lot of good parts there.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #3897

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, another great video! Expanding foam?? Well, now I have seen everything! Lots and lots of good parts to use or sell there!!
Man, you sure have to wade thru a lot of crap, on craigslist, to find a MH! I have been emailing back and forth with a person from Wi. now for two days, trying to find out more info on a MH. It is at a consignment lot, and they sent me a link, to get more info, it was bogus? Beginning to think it is a scam too! I think there are some very lonely people out there, that just want contact with someone, and go about any way they can, just to get a email from someone? Don't know for sure, but am thinking that way? Oh well, on with the search!
Terry, that was a very nice MH you sent the link to, but out of my price range! I am looking for 20k and under, would like to find one around 15k! I want to pay cash, so no payment!
Lots of MH's that have had leaks, stopped them, but the damage has been done! Why are people so slack on their maintenance? With so much money tied up in them, it's not that hard to do! I guess a lot of people think they are just like their house, good for 20/30 years? Ok, Rant over, dang I feel better! Hehehehe!!
Everyone have a great day! Wow, they got a lot of sn** in N. IL.!!
Rail!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #3898

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, I think the scams on Craigs list are skimming for phone #s and email addresses to sell? I always reply thru the Craigs list email system so they don't get mine. Only after I think its okay do I make "real" contact. I figured that MH was too much but you never Know , there was another that was in the range but sounded too good and never got a good reply back, it had two different fuels listed, gas MH w/a diesel genny didn't sound right . Oh Well cold this am but no sn-- so can't complain too much. Stay Tuned
Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #3899

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a bummer Rail.
My neighbor is one that has not done a thing (New Roof) on his house/garage since they moved in 25 years ago. The house was built in 50-51 and still has the same siding and the paint is like 1/4 thick and pealing / cracking man I don't know why the city don't get down on that, they drive by almost daily. The garage roof is falling apart and there are trim pcs missing The garage door is fiberglass and you can almost see thru it. Its past Oxidation. Boards missing Just a real eye sore.

JS< Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #3900

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
The steps on the rig are carbon fiber made by a company that specializes in marine applications. There was a link to them on the rigs website. All the suppliers in fact.

Yeah that rig is for the Bill Gates class of rich. Those Unimogs are not cheap all by themselves. But it will go anywhere and you cant break them.

Anyway, I like checking those kinda things out. You get some great ideas. All we need is an oven and a vacuum system so we can build carbon fiber stuff. Guess the shop will have to be bigger

Nothing a CLACer cant build with the right tools, time and materials. Oh, and money.
I like carbon fiber parts. The only problem is you need a autoclave to cure the finished/semi finished parts. Hear is a link to my old job where you can see several autoclaves in the top picture in the article.
Sierra Nevada, Lockheed Martin unveil Dream Chaser composite structure : CompositesWorld
I was working on the F-35 and it has a lot of composite.
With one this big you could make the entire RV from composite.
Autoclaves by ASC Process Systems - ASC Manufactures the World’s Largest Autoclave
There are places doing work on building parts with out using a autoclave.
Autoclave Myth | GMT Composites
I think you will see more use of 3D printing to make parts.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #3901

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice Bill, I agree with you that there will be a lot more parts made with 3D printers shortly.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #3902

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Bill, that would be cool to have a whole RV shell built out of Carbon Fiber . Well, busy removing parts from the Donor, its about 20 miles from here at my friends, so I only have a few hours a day to pull parts off. I have most of the appliances out, still need to remove the furnace and AC. The fun part will be taking out the cabinets and enclosures without damaging them, time consuming tedious work. This manufacturer screwed stuff BOTH ways , yup from the inside AND the outside so its going to be "fun". I get a real education on how RV's are put together by dismantling these trailers. Oh by the way 15* this AM
Old 11-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #3903

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey WildBill,

Thats what I meant by saying we need an oven.

Need to learn how to build an autoclave and build a bigger shop. Nothing as big as those though.

3d printer is on my list. That tech is advancing so fast and is already used to make production parts on a large scale.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #3904

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - went to the dentist the other day. Got a couple crowns. The dentist took a picture of my teeth. They have a 3D printer on site so they built the crowns right there.

Was very impressed with the result.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #3905

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow Terry,

That donor trailer will give you pretty much everything you need. Does make you wonder though why people don't take better care of something that must of cost quite a bit of money brand new.

3D printers::::: Very nifty things. School teacher at a small local school had a son with no fingers on one hand (birth defect). Ins would not pay for a prosthesis ($10,000 per hand) because boy was still growing (7 yrs old). Dad decided to play with the 3D printer at school. Got the -ray of his Son's other hand, reversed it so R became L and made the boy a prosthesis.

He added growth spacers so the prosthesis would grow with his Son. Works fine, fits fine, and he only had $320. in supplies to build it. So Dad got a special science write up, Son got fingers, and a functioning hand, and Dad can adjust it as Son grows. Win win!

Baby born in Ann Arbor hospital went home after two days. Quit breathing brought back in. Parents told to get ready for baby to die as the airway (bronchial bifurcation) was damaged and kept collapsing. The only hope was a had made/carved tube be surgically placed and no guarantees it would work. Tried it and no go. Get ready, baby is gonna die.

Doctor decided to go t science dept to ask his friend who was working with 3D printers if they thought they could do something. Talked with parents and wanted to try. Had to get DFA approval which they received, implanted piece made from MRI films and baby breathed like there was never an issue. Will dissolve by age 3.

I think 3D printing is going to provide us with some amazing things, it made 2 amazing differences in these two cases.

They also use it to rebuild reefs because the materials used are like actual reefs and not made of cement which does not work. No limits.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #3906

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Well guys and gals I can see it now, Headlines read.....group of old farts build RV from a 3D printer