Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #379

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Rail, yep I have thought about that, our bikes are fairly low and we don't have air shocks to raise them, (like some people I know), Right now I think I would high center so thats why some form of inside plate, to raise the TH up with the landing gear I would have to unhook, I tow with a MDT (its heavy). Thanks for the thoughts!

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #380

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, you know your ramp is pretty long, because of the added height of the sides, so you may be ok? Also some drop down jack's that can be lowered and pin'ed in the rear corners might be helpful, keep the TH from moving when you ride your bike up and in! Or just some blocks would work too. Gordon, Yuma, huh?? You staying for the winter? Before I retired, and sold my trucking business, I hauled slot machines out of Vegas. And I rented a nice house in Los Algodones, MX. for the times that I was waiting for my next load, I would jump in the car and drive down! I loved it there, and had the house for 4 years! I'm sure you know all about the cheap dental, drugs, eye glasses, and the fantastic mx. food! When we come in March, we are flying into Phoenix, and after seeing friends there, will be coming down to visit friends in Mx. Bap, the clean, dry, sand is very important, heheheheh! do not want any of the kitty's surprizes, in there!! Just Say'n!! Rail!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #381

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Rail, I am using an (I think) educated guess on the angle of the ramp, I have to wait till I get the axles and tires on to get a final angle. If there was a industry standard on ramp degrees it would make things easier. I am going to use the ramp as a deck once the bikes are out, so the supports that I build could be used to steady the TH loading/unloading. We surely don't want kitty surprises in our sand .We took a mental health day yesterday, it was 70degs, unusual for this time of year, so me and DW exercised a couple of the bikes and went for a ride. Two of the axles will be in on thrusday, the rest on next tuesday but I will have all of the parts to hang the axles to keep me busy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0008.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	570.9 KB
ID:	76566  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #382

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I am glad and a little bit jealous you both got to ride on a beautiful day like that! My last bike was a 1954 Pan head custom hardtail, and I miss it everyday, but I got to the point where my body could not take the beating that old girl could dish out! It was raked, with a WG front end, and just about sat on the ground, so I know about ground clearance! What made me think about the top of the ramp angle, was a little thing that happened to me with my semi trailer a few years back. I had ramps, to load and unload the slot machines that I hauled years back, before the lift gate. They were Melcher split ramps, and would make a walk board hooked together, or you could separate them and drive a car up in your trailer, if needed. Well , I needed a car out in Vegas, to run around in, running for parts, shopping , or trips to Mx. So, I found one at home in Illinois, put the ramps out, secured them to the trailer, dumped the air, and lined it up! Well the angles were pretty sharp, as this was a semi trailer, dock height! Car went up the ramps just fine, scraped the tailpipe a little, but when I got to the top and the front wheels started in the trailer it hit on the bottom of the floor and scraped the floor of my trailer a little bit! Good thing I was going fast enough to not high side the thing!! OH, that would have been the talk of the town!! So when unloading it, I backed my Semi truck's drive wheels up on blocks, to decrease the angles, and backed it right off, no problems! So you could do the same, back up on some blocks, to decrease the angles, if you do not want to unhook! Just a thought, a lot easyer than a ramp on the inside! Rail!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #383
bap

nice looken bikes harley,,,,i use to just jump one of mine in an out of anything even pick up trucks...lol...but that bike was built for air time....lol...i could set still 3ft away from a truck bed pop the clutch and be in the bed,,,,lol..use to go alot of boulder jumping,,,,,,but that was a few years back...
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #384

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Rail, yep started out myself with a 48 indian hardtail, darn thing would almost make your kidneys bleed, I've been riding over 40 yrs, had a independant bike shop that I would service and build/rebuild a few bikes a yr. I'm sorry but I had to laugh when you told about the car in your truck, it brought back memories, of alot of crazy things we have put (tried to put) in trucks thru the yrs. If we ever meet there's lots of stories there . Thanks Bap, I don't own anything thats stock, I stopped buying new several yrs ago, I just like the old stuff. I had a friend that used to do comp. with the bikes and jumping from one thing to another without putting your feet down crazy stuff.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #385

Glad you two got to ride before weather said done for the winter. Hopefully keep you focused on what the build is all about.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #386

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, You said it, when comes right down to it that is what its all about
We have spent today organizing stuff for winter, putting items that we might use undercover that we can still get to after snow. Tomorrow I pick up more parts so then I'll be back on the build.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #387

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Axles

How did you determent where to locate the axles? Do you have a running cost? Keep it up!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #388

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

I used several different methods to triple check. Dexter axles method is to measure from center of hitch to center of gravity, divide this value by the percentage of the load to be carried by the running gear, the result is the distance from the center of the hitch to the center of the running gear. In my instance its a best guess on the weight to be carried. So I used another method, Measure the length of the trailer (not the tongue) multiply by .4 the resulting number is the distance from the rear of the trailer to the center of the axles. A check of the first calc. then there is one more method that is very detailed, for that one I'll try to give you a link to read it How To Determine The Correct Axle Position- Trailer Canada Online Parts Web Store so I took all three and figured them against each other to come up with where. Sorry this is so long but there was no easy answer.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #389

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

WBBB1, Sorry forgot to update the cost so far, $5990.00, that is complete to date, thats everything new, siding, axles, floor, doors (front and rear), EPDM roof w/ underlayment and all new rafters. oh also all the insulation.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #390

Don't forget the soft tail ramp.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #391

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, certainly can't forget that! Rainy here today might get some prep work on the frame getting ready for the new axles
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #392

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Well, not happy with a new supplier, the axles where supposed to be here today.........not here, maybe next tuesday. Having been in business myself I have no patience with people that don't do their jobs, (customer service?) so weather cleared up some, I installed the taillights, had to solder extra wire because it goes thru a 2X6 sideways. Not hooked up yet so hard to see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1016141735.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	76713   Click image for larger version

Name:	1016141740.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	76714  

Name:	1016141742.jpg