Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #3935

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, The cabinets are solid oak, of course the framing is pine behind where you can't see, the picture I have here is of the reefer cabinet, look at the ceiling see how many screws are coming out of the ceiling , they where in a pine piece that the oak was screwed to, so I could sacrifice the pine board to get the front face off which is what you see anyway. the rest of the framing that you see is glued and screwed from the outside, its glued to make it air tight so the reefer will cool properly, I will just remake the frame its easier than trying to remove it. I would hazard a guess that if any repairs would have to be made it would have to be done in the same fashion, in which case I could see why it costs so much to work on an RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1127151629.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	112990  

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #3936

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
That is why those things last so long with routine maintenance, even when they are lived in full time.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #3937

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, this rig was built for full timing, fully enclosed and heated bottom, three waste tanks, such a shame for someone to not just recaulk the roof and do some minor maintenance.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #3938

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree Terry, that it is a shame to see such a good unit go to slavage because the maintenance got away from somebody.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #3939

Winnebago Owners Club
I expect the maintenance gets away from folks because of lack of knowledge and time constraints. I suspect there are lots of folks who are ignoring their units in this day and age.

We are used to the S&B with the 25 year shingles, etc so we do not think about the seams on our RV.

Boy it looks like they did not spare any screws in putting the unit together. Sacrificing the pine is not a hardship. The old wood will be brittle and tougher to work with than new wood. The oak is easier to reuse.

I worry about the ventilation when spending extended times in an RV especially in cool weather. We tend to button the unit up and with normal living I think there is a chance of moisture accumulating and the possibility of mold developing.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #3940

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, you really hit the nail on the head with that one, the biggest killer of RV's is moisture and it not having a way to dissipate, I think there should be a dehumidifier built in to any unit that is advertised as a "full Time" RV. Mold is one problem, and moisture building up in the walls and ceiling is another, causing a slow degrading of the insulation, and I think contributing to delamination of the outside because of the wood backing absorbing moisture,
Old 11-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #3941

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No shortage of wire there either.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #3942

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Jay, ain't that the truth! all the tank monitors, slide switch, hot water switch, bat monitor and I'm sure I missed something runs in there .
Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #3943

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
<quote> ( I expect the maintenance gets away from folks because of lack of knowledge and time constraints. I suspect there are lots of folks who are ignoring their units in this day and age. ) You hit the nail on the head Gordon! In this case, the owner took the time to seal it up, just picked the wrong stuff to do it with! Expanding foam?? Shame! His loss, Terry's GAIN!!
Terry, I emailed another one not 12 miles from my son's house, no reply? Same style ad, vague ad, not many pic's?
Found just the one, but it is in Akron, Ohio
OHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Hahahahahaha!!! Rail!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 AM   #3944

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, its getting harder to figure out which ads on Craigs List is legit and which ones are scams. We emailed a couple other ones and got one response wanting our email address and phone # when we told them we only "talked" thru the Craigs List email system, no replys. I think Craigs List will have to do something eventually.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #3945

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Rail;
I agree with the expanding foam!!??? All kinds of scenarios come to mind why someone would do something like that. But the damage is done. Looking at the construction pictures Terry posted it is a shame he could not have repaired it. Or picked it up prior to the TH rebuild.

Hang in there. I am sure the MH that will fit your needs will come up. There is so much scamming going on that both sides have to be careful. I generally use gmail as an email address. I create additional email addresses as required and then discontinue their use when no longer required.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #3946

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know what you mean too many people getting killed and robbed meeting strangers from the internet or Craigís List. Hear is a local solution. Meet me at the Police station. If they donít want to show up you probably donít need them.
Hear is a link to a story about it.
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article27866980.html
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #3947

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, Yes I've had email addresses that I stopped using also, I very seldom give my info out only to people I know or trust. Bill, that's a good idea I had heard of that but never read about it, I have bought alot of stuff from not only Craigs List but Pennysaver ads ect. never had a problem yet, but then I do carry an "equalizer" and the Corps taught me to use it . I also research phone #s and addresses also.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #3948

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I know what you mean too many people getting killed and robbed meeting strangers from the internet or Craigís List. Hear is a local solution. Meet me at the Police station. If they donít want to show up you probably donít need them.
Hear is a link to a story about it.
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article27866980.html
Bill

Great tip to share. Thats how I deal with people from Craigslist too. I'm also have a concealed carry and do at all times. So does DW. Part of getting dressed in the morning. Too many nutjobs out there these days.

1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote