Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #4103

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, the weed burner exhaust cannot exit under the sleeping compartment, and that goes for the generator exhaust too! And having run them, I can tell you, you have to check the wind direction all the time, before retiring for the night! Then you have to hope the wind does not change during the night also! PITA in my opinion! Not as relevant in a truck you don't use every day, but still something to think about!
Gordon, the 359 Pete's and W-900's KW's of yesteryear with the big ol straight exhaust stacks do sound sweet, as they go down the road, as the large Cat's purr and Cummin's hum! But the other side of that coin was when they shut down for the night, and parked next to you in the TS, and left it idling on high idle! I would move to another spot!
Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #4104

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Terry, "end up on my waistline" Hahahaha,, I resemble that remark!
Ok, I am at the hospital yesterday, getting ready to see the Dr., and they weigh you, and check your blood pressure before you go see him. They let you do the weight your self, so I take off my shoes, step on the scales, ( 99.9 Kilo's )!! OH, I say, and the lady behind me taps my arm, points to the bag in my hand of 2 loaves of sweet bread, and some fresh fruit!! OH, again comes out of my mouth! So I set it down on the chair next to me, ( 99.8 ) MUCH Better,, I say!!! She cracks up, Me Too!!
Terry enjoy the good weather, after all, you know it is just a matter of time!! Rail!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
I feel for you, I try to do a mechanical drawing with all the dimensions, but it doesn't always work, the hand just doesn't always do what the mind wants it to do.
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I generally do a sketch, pencil in measurements, add everything up twice, divide by two, add 10%, then another 5% for good luck, order it, go pick it up, throw a couple extra on and still come up short.

There is a path between me and the lumber yard when I am building something.
I'm a paper napkin, or back of an old envelope kind of guy myself now. My shopping list is usually a paper towel. Since I work alone on 99% of my projects. I have the entire build concept in my head before I start, then buy extra material for use on other stuff later, then start cutting. My sketches are usually to remind me of the dimensions I've decided to use in case I need to build two. Which I usually end up building anyway. I have a nice steel rack for holding my extra steel on.

When I was working I used Auto Cad on all my designs, but mainly because other people would be building my designs and my Boss always fussed at me about keeping secret specs in my head that he couldn't see. But now that I retired I haven't even turned on my software once. Shame, because I have a fortune invested in a Auto Cad and Bendtech programs.

I'm a weed cutter exhaust guy. Spent too many years shoving my way through trees to get my trucks to poles in back yards and fields. Stacks were always just something else to get hung up on tree limbs and ripped off.

Funny thing about one of a Rails comments about Dr's scales. Went in to see mine for something and since I'm a CHL guy I remembered to leave my handgun in the truck before I walked in to his office. ( as per Texas Law) so they call me back and say let's weigh you.
Now I know what I weight because I check every day in my gym, so she starts sliding the weights and I'm 12 lbs heavier than I was that morning. I say some comment about her scale being off and she says " well you do have your cloths on" ato which i reply, "yea but 12 lbs.?"

Then I remember I've got 3 lbs of keys and change in my pocket and two.15 round magazines in a pouch on my belt along with a Cresent wrench in my jacket pocket.
Mot to mention I was wearing my motorcycle boots.

I start emptying my pockets for a re weigh and as I'm putting my stuff in a tray I set those two magazines with bullets in the tray. She looks at me and says, " If you want me to hold your handgun so no one sees it I will wrap it up in this towel."
" Naw I'm good, I left it in the truck! But I appreciate the offer to help keep me out of jail."

She says "Don't worry about it. Happens all the time! My 357 is in my purse over there!!
Gotta love Texas Nurses!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:48 AM   #4105

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, When it comes to building I can "see" it all done in my mind, I can lay it out and even build it before I do anything, I will make some sketches to jog my memory but other than that, that's it. wood is no big deal I can run to multiple lumber yards but with the steel I deal with one supplier and you need to order so they can pull the order then they band and prep for pickup and give you a time to pick up, so its a process. Rail, your right on the big ole exhaust raddling you when trying to sleep next to one reefers were as bad . I was thinking maybe running the gennys exhaust into the stacks? might sound horrible with all that pipe to rattle around in. Curtis, jumped in there while I was typing, glad to see someone else does that, (mind thing) I never got into the computer systems for building, always was old school but then it was always for myself, my wife's uncle was a tool and die maker for GE's nuclear systems he had more calculations in his head and could run all kinds of computer systems, really miss him, he would make me parts that were absolutely beautiful. That's a good one on all the stuff in your pockets.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #4106

Terry, they make a carbon fiber generator exhaust stack that you stick on your genny when you get to the campsite. But if I were building, I might make one perm.

Don't have a answer here, but if the genny and truck shared an exhaust, when the genny wasn't running would there be truck engine exhaust pushing in the genny system? Soot in the cylinder (if a valve is open) etc..May not be a good thing.

Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust System - $114.99

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #4107

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Terry, they make a carbon fiber generator exhaust stack that you stick on your genny when you get to the campsite. But if I were building, I might make one perm.

Don't have a answer here, but if the genny and truck shared an exhaust, when the genny wasn't running would there be truck engine exhaust pushing in the genny system? Soot in the cylinder (if a valve is open) etc..May not be a good thing.

Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust System - $114.99

L.

Morning Lloyd, thanks for the site, just got back from there, they have some nice stuff for the RV.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #4108

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, I didn't think about the exhaust going back into the genny........boy am I glad you guys are here to keep me straight . I'll check out the link I'm building something in perm. for sure. Tim, we're off topic all the time , no problem.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #4109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Harley, go look at the Gen-Turi, I think you can make it cheaper. There are probably videos on Utube.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #4110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bill, checked out the site, stuff like that gives me some good idea's, a stack for the genny! Stay Tuned uploading a new Christmas video
Old 12-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #4111

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure I would want the generator stack attached or close to the bunkhouse wall in any way. It would/could resonate through the fiberglass.

I would consider running it out the front of the truck like the airport fuel trucks. Other option is to the very back but then the exhaust pipe would run under the body and would be under the 5 wheel if the TH was attached.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #4112

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, another good thought, attaching it to the fiberglass shell probably would not be good. The genny will be on the left side (I think ) I'm not sure how many Windows will be on that side, maybe one small one so might get away with a side exhaust
Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #4113

Winnebago Owners Club
Are your fuel tanks going to be part of the steps to the cab or behind?

If there were just steps the exhaust could come forward and exit out behind the right front tire through the steps. Say right under the door hinges.

That would put the generator in the first compartment on the left side.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #4114

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, on the drivers side (left) there is the battery box right behind the front wheel then a fuel tank, on the pass side (right) the steps are the fuel tank so I had actually thought the I would put the genny in front of the rear tire because above it would be the toilet and no window. the black tank would be in front of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1222151336.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	114692   Click image for larger version

Name:	1222151336a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	114693  

Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #4115

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have a Christmas wiring video up .
Old 12-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #4116

Winnebago Owners Club
Had fun watching the video Terry. Thought the comment about Eleanor being at work set the stage. The post script comments about cleaning up were priceless.

Merry Christmas to Eleanor and yourself.