Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #4187

Terry,,,,, watch those cardboard creepers during the welding and cutting,,,,,, it seems they are flamable! Although from my experience they will warm the day up.

I also purchased the Harbor Freight welding blanket that is flame resistant,,,,,,, not so much! I no longer lay on it. It does burn slower than the cardboard

Will you lay the deck on,,, then hang the sides? I only did this once before and the struggle was the sheet steel isn't always flat. It kinda curled and had a memory from the process of creation,, and it was a lot of work to get them straight.... I wanted nice flat sides.... no waves. Maybe you got better steel? They lay nice on the stack,,,, but individualy when on end where a handfull.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #4188

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, I'm with you we have to get Popeye a little farther south then we all could lend a hand. Lloyd, those pieces of cardboard also slide on the snow , I slid right on under and about 20' the other side the first time I got on one . Once I get the frame work built and bolted down to the truck frame I think I will lay the deck, that is 3/16 thick plate. the rear sides are 10 gauge, I'm hoping that by being thicker that they will not have any wave to them, I need to support the sides, (I'm using 1"square 1/8" tubing) for frame work. then cut the wheelwell, and steps on the right rear, and a tool box on the left rear. 10 gauge will also be used to go across the rear, that will be tied into the bumper pull hitch. In the center between the frame rails I'm going to try to install the sliding rack that the propane tanks are on, (they are the lay down style) Under the coach body, I am building a frame work for the compartments, where the tanks, furnace, water pump, and electrical panels are going. The outside skin will be 14 gauge steel. That's the plan as of right now anyway

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #4189

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well, got a little more done, (taking a break for lunch), getting the rear shape and starting to weld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1231151137.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	631.1 KB
ID:	115348   Click image for larger version

Name:	1231151138.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	761.3 KB
ID:	115349  

Old 12-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #4190

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - it is great to see you back in construction mode. Hope the weather holds.

Best wishes to you, Eleanor and your family for a HEALTHY, HAPPY and Prosperous New Year.

The same to everyone who reads this as well. Best to all of you for 2016.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #4191

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, same to you and Janet, Happy New Year and the same to all we've come to know here and in our travels and our travels to come.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Well, got a little more done, (taking a break for lunch), getting the rear shape and starting to weld.
Aren't you done yet? I'm getting anxious...

Looking good... you make it look easy...

-cheers
Old 12-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #4193

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, I'm tryin.. I'm tryin, , it should be pretty far along by the end of the weekend, I hope . need to figure in the tool boxes on each side behind the tires. Darn cold weather slowing me down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1231151637a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	115371  
Old 12-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #4194

I hear you about the cold slowing you down... It's got me stopped completely. I'm ready to continue with our little project, but I couldn't do it even I didn't hate the cold... I can't spray the glue to laminate the panels unless it's 70... And I don't have heat in my garage. :-(

Ah well... After another winter of pounding out the overtime... Spring will be here before you know it.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #4195

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, yup working with steel is just what my body can stand, when you have glues ect. involved your pretty much at their mercy. Working overtime at least gives you some options later. New years almost here, I always figure (for here) middle to end of march for things to get better weather wise.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #4196

Lloyd
Use cardboard or a flame resistant blanket to stay warm OR start a fire ,,,,,,,, check!
The cardboard does make a great ice sled too. Maybe we could sell 'em to kids. Terry ,did ya get any video? Ya want to star in the commercial ads?

I just read Terry's post then went back and read Frank's , missed it last night.
Sooooo ,you guys are starting to gang up on me now,,,,,I see how you are !

THAT"S going slow???
Is fast when you only post pics of finished projects?

You said Satch is slowing down , maybe he isn't talking cuz he doesn't think you're doing it right but doesn't have the heart to tell ya ????
Old 12-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #4197

Almost Forgot...................................:d ance:HAPPY
NEW
YEAR
EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #4198

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, Thanks! I never thought about Satchel might not want to tell me that he would do it different, he does give me some strange looks every now and then . When I'm working in steel that's what I'm most comfortable doing, when I have something built in my mind and it starts to take shape I hate to quit till its done, Love your sense of humor, kinda matches everyone else here, Happy New Year back to you.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #4199

I think I might have this!!!!
Have you ever thought to build in a dog house ,penthouse or even a dog bed with a nice mini sleeping bag and a storage compartment for bones into any of these creations ????? For barking out loud !
(I added the penthouse because they like to observe their kingdom form a high perch !
I had one for my dog in my pickup camper and she loved it, yes , with a mini sleeping bag , I told you she was a heat-o-holic already)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #4200

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Nope no dog house, I did mention he's a guest right , I do love dogs, we rescued several and at one time, (because we couldn't see them living where they were) we had 5 very large Belgian Shepard and Rottweiler mix close to 100lbs living with us (yes in the house) all brothers and sisters, unfortunately they all slowly passed away from cancer, some only a couple yrs old to the last one was like 10. we said no more animals because we want to travel with no restrictions. So Satchel comes and visits sometimes for weeks at a time but he goes home when we go traveling. We used to have kid beds for all of them and they would all go to bed on them it was funny .