Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #4243

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks Bobby, there's a bunch of young guys around here that never saw anyone stick weld and they are pretty amazed, I let a couple try it that mig welded and they couldn't even strike an arc , mig is very easy to master sooner, I think. This kinda weather you don't stand around much . The Dakota is shaping up very nice, sounds strange but I always liked the smell of the paint booth after the paint dried and untaping the vehicle.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #4244

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We always used stick, because on the farm, almost everything that we had was dirty and you can't get it all the way clean to use the mig.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #4245

The only welding I've ever done is the J.B. type.
I do have thousands of hours experience soldering though !

There's a guy here at the truck repair shop I call "Weld-on the Magnificent" stick , mig AND J.B. !!!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #4246

Morning Terry. Hope you had the same weather we had on Long Island yesterday , mid 40's , supposed to be the same or better today! Speaking of todays youth and what they know, I brought the Dakota to a place called Tire Town that Sally is friendly with from her days as a used car dealer. I wanted new upper control arm bushings, springs ,etc and a alignment done. The "mechanic" told me I had to get new complete control arms as he never heard of replacing them even after I showed him the new bushings I bought, he told me that they had to remove the control arm to put the bushings in so it would be the same price as buying whole new arms??????????? The Owner/ Manager agreed and gave me a price of $1000 plus tax! Then they told me they "COULD'NT' " do an alignment on it as they didn't have any techs that knew how to use alignment shims, LOL! I said i'd get back to them, went home and proceeded to remove and install the new upper control arm bushings on the pickup in about an hour in front of the house on the street. Took it back to the shop and showed the 1st "tech", he basicly called me a liar that I had someone change the arms! I laughed showing him the rust on the a-arm shafts and nuts! This was no kid, he was like 35!!!! I fear that we are doomed to having a country of ill trained, non innovative, unimaginative people working that only will ever know what their cell phones tell them! They are parts changers not technicians, problem solvers! The internet is great but I feel it is creating a new world of lazy people! Bobby
Old 01-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #4247

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Bobby you hit the nail on the head with that one. One of the problems is caused by the auto industry itself, the new vehicles coming thru now have mostly replaceable components, you don't repair you replace. I came from a time that we repaired the part and put it back in service, then as time went by we couldn't buy the repair parts, and had to replace it. just as I was selling my auto shop, the axle shafts we used to put new joints in was "cheaper" to replace with a whole new shaft, and faster too. So the down side of that is the techs coming up now won't know how to replace those components. Wheel bearings also, used to be front wheel bearings would last 100,000 miles or more, the new sealed bearings sometimes go bad in 10,000 miles, I can go on forever, crazy, I always tried with new techs that worked for me to teach them to repair as much as I could, but I can see that it's a losing game. One that I didn't want to play anymore. But that also causes problems too as the Mechanics that could retire and get out and don't teach the new ones coming up.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #4248

It's the same deal in the tooling and machining trade... hard to find good help. Heck, a lot of times we would just be thrilled to find warm bodies. Seems like the only young applicants we get think they should start out making some ridiculously high wage before they even know what they're doing. Meadville PA used to have more tool and die shops per capita than any city in the US... in the last 15 years, we've seen so few apprentices through the system that in probably another 15 years there won't be a tool and die industry in the area anymore. Most of our toolmakers are over 50... and very few of the young ones even have a heartbeat.

-cheers
Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #4249

Retired Fire Service RVer's
You guys have all hit the nail on the head. You can't teach common sense, and there is not much of that coming up these days. Speaking of wages, since when does someone that can't even make change at the cash register (if the screen doesn't tell them how much) deserve to make $15/hr?
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #4250

Piker my older brother worked for Grumman as a machinist when he got out of the service, Long Island was booming economically , now it is all warehouses and 95% of kids today can't read or do math but are still graduating high school! Hell I have had people I tried that can't read a tape measure! At my old high school they had metal shop, automotive , plumbing and electrical , now they have computer sciences but over half of the graduates can't do anything without their cellphones/internet! Hell they can't even change a flat tire! We are not training our children to be self sufficient in this country anymore, no desire to learn, career college students that have no idea what they want to do? Government dependence is killing our country! Bobby
Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #4251

Frank this goes back to Government Dependence! Used to be you started at Mcdonalds at school age as an entry level job while you went to school! Or you had a paper route where you learned to give excellent service if you wanted to get tips, which has been extinct for years! You learned to promote your service , gaining customers and getting some pretty neat rewards for bringing new subscribers in and made some money doing it! Mowing lawns, shoveling snow is below the kids status now, you will never see a pic of a kid doing any real work on Facebook or Twitter! It has absolutely infected the workforce in this country, after putting an ad for help for my shop and having a 30 something guy come in with manicured fingers and boat shoes for a entry position telling me he was a project manager at his previous position and was on unemployment and wanted to be paid $25.00/hr "Off the Books " so he could continue to collect! Anyone who is too lazy to work out of a fast food job while having kids to support, should not be entitled to $15 an hour just for showing up! It is an entry position not a career , unless they go into management and also is precisely the reason there are no entry level jobs for young men and women! Along with the way they deliver newspapers and flyers now , with old minivans overloaded , flinging them out of the windows all over the lawns, into flower beds and ultimately sucked up into my snowblower jamming it up so I can spend an hour cutting the damn plastic bags out! Oh boy , I miss the old days! Bobby
Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #4252

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bobby,
I was one of those Paper boy's I canceled my Sunday paper because they couldn't get it even on the steps.
You better get to the shop and work on the Dakota you'll feel better...
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #4253

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Nothing new to report on the Tot'r: sad:, right in the middle of a great stretch of weather, (for January) my RA has to flare up. I'm not able to move very well right now, so I'll just set back and wait for it to let me go back at it. I've been lucky so far so I can't complain. Have a Great Day All.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #4254

Take a break Terry, I have learned that when I push myself too hard I end up causing more grief than it is worth! It'll be there tomorrow! After over 25 years putting clutches and rears in my trucks laying on ice and snow , cold concrete , etc. I am slacking off thinking of a nice shop with a lift that I can play in! And I will pass my 600lb torque wrench to some other deserving soul! Bobby
Old 01-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #4255

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I know it is hard, but sit back and relax, you have worked very hard for this break! The Tot'er will be there when you feel better!
Bobby, you described me to a tee when I was growing up! First was a paper route, saved up bought my first go-kart, minibike, then a basket case Harley! When I got my drivers license, got a job at Sandy's Drive In, (same as McD's), then moved to a better paying job at a Wareco gas station! Saved my money for college, and cars! Sad the kids these days don't know the basic's!
Well, back to catching up! Wow, it will take awhile! Rail!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #4256

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, I lived too far out in the country to have a paper route, so I worked with my father every weekend and all summer. Well I broke down and ordered a new Plasma Cutter, coming from California so it'll take a week or so to get it. Figured it'll just make life easier.