Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #4271

Hey Terry!

Hope your RA calms down soon!

What plasma did you buy? I have a miller. Very happy with it.

Where did you buy from, I am looking at upgrading my mig. Seems like the best deals are on Ebay.

When i was about 13 or 14, during the summer Dad would take me to work. I would spend the day greasing trailers. Got to drive the grease truck while I did this. There were over 500 trailers,,,, never ran out of trailers to do.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #4272

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Raining hard here today, might get upwards of 2" better than SNOW. And the temps of 50* . Dennis, welcome aboard! any tips just jump in anytime. I've had Plasma cutters before and yup pretty important to have dry air for sure! When I painted all the time I had dedicated air hoses just used for painting so they didn't get contaminated, I didn't like anything attached to my air gun that would make it clumsy to use, but later I have used those filters now that I don't do painting on any scale anymore. Next project? I gotta finish what I started first , Then we'll talk . Piker, cool idea, the compressor I had in the shop was a very high volume one and it had something like that all built in, plus auto dump for the water it collected. Of course it also cost me 10,000 dollars, but it was worth it. Lloyd, I have had RA now for over 30 years so know what to do to settle it down, it just takes a little time, . I purchased my cutter off Ebay, I looked around and researched and weighed the pros and cons, my last cutter was from Snap On, (just because it was convenient, he came every week to the shop) now alot of people will cringe when I say that the cutter I bought is a Simadre, I don't have the income that I had when I had the shop, plus I don't think I'll use it as much as when I was in business so I'll try it.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #4273

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
As long as it works for what you need to do then it will be good. I always gauged where I bought tool for how much I planned to use them, from cheap Chinese for those things that you might use once or twice, to Snap-On for something that I would use many times a day.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #4274

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, I've always said I have thousands of dollars of Snap On, Mac ect. and I have a bunch of Harbor Freight ect. I'm not comparing the two, (there isn't any) but I've got pretty good service from some of the cheapy stuff. Got my air compressor put together , 145 lbs of air! nice.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #4275

I also have a mixture of expensive and cheap tools. I agree with Frank, depends on how much I will use it.

I had not heard of that brand,,, just looked it up. Let me know how it works out. I've always had Miller's, never had a problem with their units. My current mig is 20 years old, sits for weeks or months at a time, then I fire it up and it welds for 2-3 days on some project. But, boy a 200 amp plus mig is expensve!!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #4276

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Well we have had an interesting yesterday and night, we had high winds and heavy rain, even thunderstorms. With all that we had an extremely high power surge here locally, it blew out a telephone/cable substation so we had no landline or internet. It also blew several surge protectors, went thru one and fried a dvd player to the point of smoke , also burned the surge protector so bad it melted to the point of reconnecting inside and it blew a breaker. Now I have found out thru two of these power surges that the household LED lighting fixtures wont survive, all the other lights are ok but not the led ones, so if you have a bunch of them there is not alot you can do to make them safe. Several houses in the area had outlets smoked, don't know yet of any house fires, but had I not been home we would have had one. lost our power overnight came back on around 3 this morning, and just got our internet now.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Now I have found out thru two of these power surges that the household LED lighting fixtures wont survive, all the other lights are ok but not the led ones, so if you have a bunch of them there is not alot you can do to make them safe.
I never thought of this... over the last year or so, we have slowly been switching all of the recessed halogen lighting in our house over to LED bulbs as the halogens burn out. We have a bunch... around 50 in the entire house. At $15-$20 a piece, that's a good chunk of change for ANY of them to get fried. Bummer.

-cheers
Old 01-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #4278

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, I think it must be the transformers that are in the fixtures, we've been doing the same thing, not all of our bulbs were hit but a bunch were. The regular bulbs were all okay, we also have some of the small florescent that blew also, with the florescent they get very hot after.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #4279

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry,
If you would have unplugged before the lighting started would it have saved all this? Bummer any way you look at this. Sorry
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #4280

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Tim, yes it would have helped, but most of the light fixtures are hard wired, I'm not sure but I think the surge would still have taken the hit, nothing was turned on and it still smoked'em, crazy stuff. plus I had no idea the thunderstorm came shortly after the surge, so it most have been building down the line where the storm was coming from.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #4281

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont know a lot about wiring but you would have thought that if the switch was turned off there would be no power at the fixture. Another thing to learn about.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #4282

Terry that storm gave you a hell of a punchin'
I had the big storm too.
The rig was a rockin' but not the fun kind.....

I was running off battery cuz I don't put the Honda out in the rain and spent the worst of it wringing out towels and dumping bowls (roof leaks ).
I was listening to the solar radio and LEDs were my light source too.

The rain stopped and I went outside for a second and noticed there were no lights anywhere so guess the power went out.
It was still windy but no rain so I put the Honda out and plugged in to charge the laptop......

Just another night in a wheeled home.
It's good to be a fulltime RVer......sometimes !
Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #4283

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good afternoon, Spent the day getting supplies and fixing wiring and replacing breakers at my MIL's she lives two houses down, she faired much worse then I, it took out a circuit board on her furnace, and we can't get one for a couple of days, I had to replace 4, 40.00 AFCI breakers blew all of them. My next door neighbor had all of his LED lights blown, alot of wall sockets fried in the walls, TV's ect. there is a little town 2 miles from me and every house had damage, there was a repair truck of some sort in front of alot of the houses. Gordon, I thought the same thing that if the switch was off it should have been fine, not sure how that all works but I know now it doesn't matter, at least on some things. Popeye, certainly a good night to be off the grid!! Now they say we might get 2 to 4 inches of snow guess winter might be here .
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #4284

Terry i'm sure you'll get good service out of that Simadre, when we bought the Miller Legend the local gas supplier sold us the machine with a S22mig, told them I only wanted to do auto body or u to 1/4". $1200 bucks later it was useless for any wire under .035 it would just birdcage as the gun was on a 15' lead, ended up selling it to a iron shop in Queens!