Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #421

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

OK, I'm figuring out where all the lights, switches, plugins ect. are going, I have seen RV's that have an outside hookup for TV's is this something that people use? I don't plan (or want) on having Dish ect. If so put the outside hookup on the left like everything else? I will have an antenna on the roof.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #422

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Terry;
The one thing I miss the most is outside plugs on the unit.

The 5er had one. From that we ran outside lights (we put up a bunch of rope lights and Christmas lights) as well as an induction burner. Like lots of lights when we sit out in the evenings. Rope and Christmas lights give a nice subdued level.

The MH has one plug in one of the bays. I got a 30 to 15 pigtail and am running the lights and burner from that. Leaves a mess of cords on the ground. Not happy but will have to rethink how to do it.

I would like switched plugs at the front, back and likely the middle of the unit. I would like the switches to be three way or at the minimum a switch by the door for each circuit so I can control what is on outside from inside.

We like to cook as much as possible outside so the use of induction burners is great.

Also would put a set of LED lights under the awning. Perfect if switched from inside. The 5er had the lights on a timer from the outside plug. The MH has a set in the awning but they are not bright enough so I hung another string using command hooks on the side under the awnings but they are currently controlled by plugging them in or unplugging them. More cords . . . yuck!

I would not put a dish on top of the unit. I would wire for it if you are planning to sell or decide that you want to watch more TV later, but where we are at a top mounted dish is defeated by the trees we park under. I have a satellite dish tripod that we use. Not as pretty but it is functional. Am considering one of the suitcase types of auto dishes but since we are parked for extended periods setting it up is not too onerous. I wired the 5er through the goose neck to accommodate the tripod. Am working on the MH routing today.

I replaced the lights in the 5er when I replaced the roof. Put in dimmable LED lights on several circuits. IMO cannot have too many circuits as you can do the specialty lighting. Need good lights above the stove and counter tops, another circuit in the lounge area and a third circuit over the eating area. You can turn them on or off or dim them to provide any level of light that you want within the main unit.

Lights in the bedroom are the same. Circuit in the bathroom and another in the main bedroom. Need lights over the wash area. Put in another circuit with lights over the bed you can read with. Put a switch on either side so either of you can read without bothering the other.

One addition I like is a ledge on either side of the bed to sit a coffee cup on. Every morning I get up and make coffee. We lay in bed drinking coffee and discuss what we will be doing during the day. Nice way to start the morning IMO. The 5er had a ledge on one side only. Put in a folding cup holder but not happy with it. The MH has a nice ledge on either side so much happier.

Put a light or LED string in the closet with a switch. I would like the switch outside of the closet. I think you cannot have too much light especially if you have enough circuits and switches to set the lighting levels you want.

I am off now to figure out the satellite on the MH. Have heard that our provider has changed satellites and there may be some difficulty in acquiring a satisfactory signal. So far only conjecture as I have not set up yet. Will find our shortly.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #423
bap

im with ya gordan,,,i like lights when i want a nice warm glow or turn the night into daylight if i have to...
there is advantages in having outlets outside...

sorry couldnt help myself,,,,,we got mud....lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mudmas 014.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	77060  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #424

JMO, but unless you are doing a large awning along the side I wouldn't fool with an antenna jack there. With the garage to second as an entertainment area I would run one there.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #425

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, Thanks for the heads up on the lights and how you did yours, gave me alot of ideas, some I certainly didn't think of. Bap that jeep looks like you had fun . We used to mud bog up and down the east coast, I built a ford chassis, Toyota PU body w/a 351 Cleveland engine, ran it on propane, (my biggest sponsor was Petrolane propane) 800 hp and light we skipped across the mud, somethimes didn't even get dirty! HH, thanks, I'm putting an awning on the right side (was going to on the left now maybe not). I wasn't much of a campground camper, we were always boondocking at racetracks ect. I thought some campgrounds had cable TV? and thats what the hookup was for? or is it for your own antenna system. Do you think I could restore this camper?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1020141330.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	77084  
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #426

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Forgot to say! I just picked up most of my axle parts, rest supposed to be here on thrusday!!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #427

I've looked at many class A & C MHs lately & all seem to have the electric, water, sewer, & cable hook up on the back left.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #428

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
im with ya gordan,,,i like lights when i want a nice warm glow or turn the night into daylight if i have to...
there is advantages in having outlets outside...

sorry couldnt help myself,,,,,we got mud....lol

WHOA - bet you backed up and did it again just to make sure you got splashed a bit. Awesome job!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #429

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Bap, looks like you had fun, now get back to work!! Terry, I think you can't have enough plugs outside, just put them on switches by the door! Same for the interior, plan on the right amount, then add a few, just to make sure! Also think about the USB/plug combo's for the electronic's, phones, laptops, as all the stuff now uses the USB plugs, they have the ones that have two usb's on the top and 1 reg. plug on the bottom! they will come in very handy for charging the cell phones! Glad you got the axel's, and hope the rest come quickly, Dang trucker's! Rail!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #430

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, So that antenna hook up is something I should install? Gordon, looks like Bap now has his work cut out for him, cleaning up!! when we came to town for a mud bog they closed the car washes . Rail, sounds like I need more switches and plugs, I had planned on one outside plug but it sounds like I need more. Yep I had planned on building a recharging center in the garage area, thats a good idea about the usb plugs, my cell has one, I think DW's Ipad, and we use a system called Scala on our helmets to talk to each other when we ride they use the same usb plugs, sounds like I need a big one . On the axle parts, I think its a sign of the times we live in, alot of companies just don't stock anymore then they have to, relying on shipping getting it in and it just runs down hill from there.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #431
bap

that old camper......could be fixed up.....i love the look of it;;;
as for the jeep RAIL,thars just part of my job,its a dirty job but i have to do it..

car washes around here excpect me coming in like that,,,,at least i have the curtosy to washout the bay when i pull my junk out oif it,,,,,most just leave enough mud in there to grow a garden...

i wish i had more toi offer on ur build harly,,and i would have loved to wheel with you sounds like you had some killer stuff at one time,,,,,,but i read everyone opinions and am learning from this thread,,,,,im just not quit type===lol
Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #432

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Bap, even if you don't have answers all the time, having extra eyes out there is all anyone can ask, if you catch or tell me something I don't know its all good. I have to try and get a pic of the sandrail we also raced, small block chevy, one piece fiberglass body that flipped up like the funny car. We ran super scoopers on the rear and turned 130 mph in the sand. THAT was a rush front wheels barely touched until we hit the brakes. I hate to admit it, but that old camper is in my back lot, all aluminum body, I stole the frame for another project I did 20 yrs ago, been setting every since. I just might have to jack it up and put a newer frame and restore it. After I get the TH done of course Projects...Projects.... so little time. Here's a couple shots getting ready to weld the hangers for the axles, Shop is a mess, sorry. As I said so many projects going on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1022141144.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	77124   Click image for larger version

Name:	1022141145.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	77125  

Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #433

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice job Terry, you might consider running cross braces between the spring hangers to take some of the side load away from them. Look on Mor Ryde site, they make a bolt on one that is adjustable, but I am sure that you can make a better cheaper set yourself. I am considering making something for mine and I don't have the third axle which puts more side load on the hangers.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #434

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Frank, yes your reading my mind, Dexter also recommends bracing the spring hangers, here is a pic. (not my trailer, and I didn't do this) of how I'm going to brace mine. Weather here is rainy, will be all week, supposed to clear up by the weekend, by then I should have all my parts, I'm still missing an axle and brakes for it. My tires and rims get delivered Friday around noon, then run them down to my sons work and get them mounted and balanced, It should be rolling by Monday. Then I'll get tags and go weigh it and see if I put the axles in the right place .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10 Spring Hangers.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	77141