Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #4355

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
looking good Terry

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #4356

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - I can only imagine the progress if you had a heated shop or the weather was better. I get tired just thinking about it.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #4357

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Popeye, if it gets really cold we can take the blast heater outside, trouble with that is one side of you gets toasted and the other side is frozen . MK, the round rod braiding is really very easy, I just use a acetylene torch chuck it in a vise and heat the rod as I go takes about 15 min. to do what you see here, around six inches.
Guys in our area throw an old parachute over everything and then use a herman nelson to heat underneath.

Seen many a motor change on a motor scraper using this method.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #4358

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MK, I think there's alot of truth in that saying Tim, Thanks! Gordon, the cold does have a tendency to wear you out after awhile that's for sure! I too have spent many hrs. outside working on tree skidders and trucks broke down where you couldn't get them inside, we've bought plywood and 2x4's just to build a makeshift shelter to get the blast heaters in. I can get inside to get warm so its not too bad, but it has a tendency to slow one down . working on installing the rear compartment wall for the right side today.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #4359

Winnebago Owners Club
I spent several years as a survey crew chief. During the winter we would do the preliminary surveys for proposed road projects. Involved running line and cross sectioning various right of ways.

Note taking while running the levels was particularly tasking. Would dress up like Doug Wrights family. Everything we owned. Shirts, long johns, snow suits, sweat pants, t shirts, etc. Hardly could move . . . . . but . . . . . had to write the notes so one hand could only have a thin glove or fingerless gloves!!!! Not a lot of fun.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #4360

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I can imagine, this is the reason to spend as much time in warmer climates as you can. I'm slowly getting the supports in for the right hand compartments, almost ready to hang the side. I'll hang the side then figure out what and where the doors are going. This side should be mostly storage, maybe the fresh water tank could go in because I can run lines to it easily. Hmmm maybe the fuel tank for the genny too.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #4361

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Well we got the removable handle done and painted, and the right side is positioned, ready to weld together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0122161550.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	117068   Click image for larger version

Name:	0122161546.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	616.9 KB
ID:	117069  

Old 01-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #4362

Oh Terry, reminds me of the good old days, NOT! I remember taking a load from Newark to Boston, ripped the center out of both clutch discs after I crested a hill. Coasted off the exit and went to the International Dealer there. Argued with them for like an hour after they towed me to a parking lot covered with 3 " of ice! They would not order me a new clutch and wanted $1500 for a $200 rebuilt, I said no, new or nothing! Sally was with me and a friend of mine was doing the same run, he dumped his container and came back for mine and delivered it. Then he took Sally to go buy me a new clutch and bring back a tranny jack as I laid on that ice getting the 13 speed roadranger out. Hit my right hand with the 5 pound hammer splitting the exaust and never felt it , till we got into a warm motel room! Company wanted to send a tractor to finish my load , but I wouldn't tel them where I was or they would not have paid me, LOL! You are making great progress, with the right shop and right weather some of us could get together and make some fine creations! Bobby
Old 01-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #4363

Terry
That thing is built like a tank. Is it going to get fuel mileage like a tank?
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #4364

Gulf Streamers Club
Y'all are made of tuffer stuff than me. No way I could get outside and work in those temps. Tomorrow it should be sixty or above here so I will get outside, in the sun, out of the wind, and work on finishing my new water heater install. I will be thinking warm thoughts for you guys (and gals).

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #4365

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Bobby, I hear ya, I don't even want to remember some of the times, I worked second shift for Truck stops of America, and we were on the thruway (I90) we were responsible for the area up to Indian Castle (I think that's what it was called) trucks coming from down south would get there and freeze up, laying under a truck along side I90 thawing out fuel lines, I get a cold chill just thinking about it. Tim, actually I shouldn't be that heavy just enough to maybe make it ride a little better I'm hoping we get 8 to 9 MPG (keeping my fingers crossed). I do have a tendency to build solid . Ron, I'm not sure how tough, or just plain stubborn, but what I wouldn't give for a 60* day right now, it got up to 20* today. Measured out where my gas tank is going and it'll fit with room to spare, so I now can drill the frame for the tank brackets and mount that, it will give me a fuel tank for the genny and a fueling station for the bikes, I think its a 60 gal. Sure glad the storm is going to miss us, we have got a total of around 5 inches of snow this year, usually we have like 30+.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #4366

Terry
It's coming together fast. Quality control excellent !

Last Jan19th ,9*,,big blizzard coming in and I was on my back on a cardboard creeper in a Wally World parking lot replacing a starter...I knew when it started snowing because the salt truck went by and peppered me !
1/2 hour later done . Down the road.......
I did what I had to do ,,,,BUT ,,, you're doing it because you love doing it !

I didn't have the torpedo htr though ! That would have been awesome !

PS: I had already replaced that starter in September ,,in the same parking lot ! I know,right? Gotta avoid that place. Or rebuilt starters......
Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #4367

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, I remember you talking about that starter last year, never nice.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #4368

Looks great Terry! This is going to be real nice.

What size is your genny gas tank? Our old toy hauler had a 27 gallon tank. Run the genny some, and fill a couple bikes twice and it was about done. I recomend at least 25 gallon.

Can't recall if I shared this before,,,, but whenever we went out on the way home I would fill that tank. Used it as a filling station at home for the lawn equiptment, 4 wheeler. Very handy, and it worked to keep the fuel in the tank fresh.

I agree with others,,,, no fun doing this stuff in that weather. I hope you get some warmer weather soon!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote