Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #4411

Hi Terry!

Generator cabinet looks good. Will you wire it so the Toter has a outlet on the back to power the TH?

I went ahead today and modified our coach. I cut the rear body frame rail out, modified it so it can be bolted in. I then modified the A/C condenser and its mount to clear everything and swing out of the way. Pretty happy with the results. Not only is it nice to have the condenser out of the way, but with the frame member out of the way it is much easier to get right up in there. Prior to this everything was about a foot too far away to reach in.

I hope I never need to climb in there again, but if I do it is now a lot easier.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 AM   #4412

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, I plan on being able to run the TH also with the genny on the Tot'r, I had thought about having a cable that I could attach while we are moving but not sure if that would work, need to investigate that possibility. Nice to be able to get into and work on things in the MH, something the factory's seem to forget, (that someone might have to work on them!). I once spoke to a production manager in a truck factory (It was Walters Truck, they made snow plows) they had built six trucks as fire pumpers for an airport overseas, they had a 460 ford engine setting in the rails on the back of the truck as the engine to run the pumps, you could not change the plugs without pulling the engine up out of the rails, their answer.........your not going to have to work on it so don't worry about it. I think the engineer must have came from Ford motor co. I remember the mustangs that came thru and you had to drill holes in the sides of the engine bay to change plugs. Well its 39* here this morning might get to 45* today, nice. Have a Great Day All.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #4413

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Genny box looks good. That should serve you well for many years.

Lloyd,
Glad that you got your MH more user friendly.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #4414

What kind of generator are you installing? Looking good!
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #4415

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, Thanks, Need to put in the proper ventilation in the right places yet but its installed, Tim, Thanks, The genny is an Onan 2800, its small but should run what we want to and charge the batteries if need be. Temps are 47* right now, crazy weather but I'll take it.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #4416

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, worked in the shop today, built the supports needed to install the compartments that will house the waste and fresh water tank, need some serious supports. Here's a pic of one. The two ends also get sheet metal welded to make the end of the compartment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0201161330.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	117941  
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #4417

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - these look like some SERIOUS supports. How big are the tanks going to be?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #4418

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, As big as I can stuff in there . Actually I don't know, once I have the compartment laid out then I can custom order the tanks. The supports will tie into the coach body and into the frame giving a complete structure, it's kinda hard to explain without seeing it, that's why I like having the videos. The open part gets welded into the coach supports, and the one side gets welded into the frame of the coach body then extend down along side of the truck frame without being attached there by giving support, as you pull/push down (by loading the compartment) it compresses against the truck frame, (but of course it can't compress) giving it support without being rigid.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #4419

Gulf Streamers Club
What are you going to do to insulate the tanks?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #4420

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron, yes the compartments will be fully insulated, not just the tanks, I'll have a heat duct running into them.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #4421

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Ron, yes the compartments will be fully insulated, not just the tanks, I'll have a heat duct running into them.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #4422

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Those supports will hold 3 times the weight or more that you have space for. Nice overkill, I get what you are saying about the weight pushing the support into the truck frame, thats a good idea and will make the whole thing even stronger. You will be close to the trucks GVWR with all the steel that you are putting on, lol. Just kidding, but you will definitely have enough weight on her to give a better ride.
Nice job by the way, as always.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #4423

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning, Frank, thanks, I will have to try to figure the weight of the steel just for giggles, would be nice for the Tot'r to ride nice empty without the TH hooked up. Its always fun to try and figure then see if I'm right when I weigh it.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #4424

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Okay, Frank you got me curious . So I went on my invoice and found how much each piece weighed per lb./per sq. ft. added it all up and if I use every single piece of steel I would have added 1834 LBS to the Tot'r. Surprised me that it wasn't heavier , gotta check again but I think my gvw is like 33,000, should be good LOL. probley won't even ride good . Of course that's not adding what the coach is going to add up to.

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »