Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #4453

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lynne, I certainly tried my mothers patience at times, both of my parents have passed now but they both supported us kids passionately. God bless your mother for her insight at your brothers funeral, some of the most compassionate people I know are the roughest looking. when there is a funeral for a veteran or a flight going to the national monuments there is always an honor guard of bikers along. Take care. Well its a beautiful day here in upstate ny, 36* going to the 40's and 100% sunshine . gotta get with it catch all later.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #4454

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Gordon, Who's playing tomorrow? is it Hockey? seriously I really don't watch too many sports , not even Nascar anymore . I never was a big sports fan, I think I always was too busy.
Nope - not hockey. It's the commercials. There will likely be a few plays in the game worth watching on replay but other than the snacks at the super bowl party I could pass on the game.

I am coming to the conclusion that sports has become entertainment with very little sports involved. Too much money involved.

Hope the weather holds for you and everything falls into place.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #4455

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I guess I'd have to living under a rock to not know what is going on today right? Although I think I've been living under a Tot'r . weather is supposed to be great today then slowly go down to a "high" of 16* by next weekend . Fitting the last supports and the outside skin of the lower compartments today, if anybody is wondering why no doors they will be cut in later, I wanted the sides to be as straight as I could so no extra holes to make them flimsy, if that's possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0207161208.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	118500   Click image for larger version

Name:	super bowl.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	118501  

Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #4456

Winnebago Owners Club
Not living under a rock. I am with you. It is more fun to be doing than watching. Although right now we have canceled a planned ride to lunch. The wind is howling here. Not typical weather. In the 9 years we have been here this is the longest the wind has blown. Predicted for tomorrow and then supposed to start calming down. Cannot be too soon.

The photo is pretty neat. It really gives an idea of what the finished product will look like. That will make Tot'r look long and low. Going to be exciting watching it traveling down the road.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #4457

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, I'm with you I dislike the wind at any time of the year, winter it makes it real miserable. I've seen a bunch of Toters now in pics and such hoping it will work out. I'm going with a few lights to high lite different areas so it should look pretty good, time will tell. Going to build my own front bumper too, one of those nice wide ones. Here's a pic of the fuel tank for the genny all painted and ready to install. warm enough today to paint outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0207161438.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	118511  
Old 02-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #4458

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went to visit the MH after breakfast and took out the old TV. Man was that heavy! Should make a big difference in weight up front when we get the new one put in.
Should we replace the DVD / VHS player at the same time? Are they also analog and whatever?

There is a large area that is the front cap that has no insulation. Should I insulate it while I can get to it? What should I insulate it with? Just seems like a good time to do this and maybe keep the rig from getting so hot.

Sorry for stealing the thread Terry but you guys are my best resource. I figure if they guys here don't know then no one does. Thank you
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #4459

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynne, The way I figure is most of the time rigs are under insulated, they could always use more. Without actually seeing it, it's a little hard to say exactly what to use, but I'll give it a shot...........if it's curved or odd shape what I do is use a fiberglass insulation, (unbacked) to hold in place use a spray adhesive, just spray the adhesive on both the wall and the insulation wait till it dries and put it in place, it'll stick. Actually you can do it that way regardless of the shape. Do you know if the DVD/VHS player works? if so I wouldn't bother, otherwise do you still use/have VHS tapes, because they are getting harder to find players for. If you have no need for VHS then I would consider replacing with just a DVD player, it'll be a smaller unit. Don't worry about the hijack, I just hope we can help.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #4460
cwk

Lynne,

Check the outputs of your existing DVD player. Then, check the inputs of your new TV. They may or may not be compatible. That may dictate a newer player. Unless you have VHS tapes you want to watch, why would you want to keep the VHS player?

A minor issue, but possibly annoying: can you get a single remote to operate the TV and the player? Is that something you would like? Or, not?

Regarding insulation, absolutely. I am not sure what is the best type for your MH (others will know), but I would add as much as I could being careful to cover the entire area. That is, there should be no gaps in the insulation where you can see the outer skin from inside the MH.

My travel trailer has fiberglass insulation. There were a few spots that were not completely covered. That is where heat/cold would get into the rig. I am being careful to cover every last square inch of the outer surface with insulation. I am not even done with my trailer conversion and the extra insulation is making a difference.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #4461

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you post a picture Lynne. Generally in tight areas like a cap I will put in pink bats and fill the cavity. Take care not to compact the insulation too much.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #4462

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, the sides are looking good!
Lynne, I agree with what everyone has said about using the fiberglass insulation, but I would get the wrapped/bagged/sealed kind and put as much as you can fit in! The reason I use the bagged is I itch like crazy if I am around the other! If you are putting in a flat screen that is bigger than the old compartment, you have some choices to make? You can convert the old compartment to storage, or fit the new TV over the cabinet, or move the TV to a new location? You can buy mount's for the flat screen's for just about any configuration! The one I like the most, mount's to the ceiling and the TV folds down for viewing, and stores up and out of the way when not watching it! Hope this help's! Rail!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #4463

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Well I guess winter may be coming to upstate NY . Supposed to get maybe 2" of snow today with snow showers for most of the week, and the temps are going down to 0* overnight by the weekend . Now that's not terrible compared to what some are getting or got, but we haven't really had anything yet this year, soooo I just don't want it . Oh well springs coming.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #4464

Winnebago Owners Club
Right now I could take the snow. It it blowing here again and it is just miserable. Tomorrow though is going to be nicer. I think we will stay here.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #4465

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with Rail, Terry the sides are looking good, and the tank is ready to go. Lynne, the fiberglass wrapped in the plastic would be best up where you are talking about, if any moisture were to leak in there, the insulation would be protected.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #4466

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, personally I'm with Frank, if I never saw snow again it wouldn't bother me. I'm sure the wind is not nice ether, yuk. The weather guy just gave his prediction for the rest of the winter.....supposed to be cold with the possibility of some big storms, that's just what I wanted to hear . Rail, Frank, Thanks, after the doors and the front panels are molded in and painted it should blend in with the coach body and start to look like it should, I hope. I'm thinking of a light gray color on the bottom extending along the whole Tot'r, instead of having a totally white vehicle. Lynne, I'm not sure if I agree with the plastic on the fiberglass insulation, because fiberglass should "breathe", because RV's live in such a varied environment, you have to be careful of condensation, if you was to put plastic on, it may not have a chance to dry out easily. Not really disagreeing, just putting out another thought out there. If you talk with an insulation person different parts of the country do the vapor barrier different, depending wither the climate is predominately warm or cold, so because an RV moves the way you insulate is a little more complex. Maybe someone smarter than me can jump in.