Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #4537

Terry
Most likely a rock worked it's way through the outer layer.
I always use conduit and cover that with hay before burying.
But that might be total overkill for your shop....(it will be a pita pushing/pulling wire through anything with any curves in it or less than 2" ID)
Do you plan on keeping the place when you start RVing?

Everybody:
Big Announcement!!!!!!

Well maybe not that big, 4" snow , freezing rain for a 1/2" crust , then heavy rain and 50mph gusts yesterday ,,,,pheeeeeew up all night getting chased by plows.
It all started out at -10* and ended up 47* in 12 hours!
(It was -17 and 51 uptah Bangah)

AND NO LEAKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #4538

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon that's a long way to the shop, I'd be tired and have to rest when I got there! Popeye, Yup, that's what I figured, it did last 30+ years, in the spring I'll put it into conduit and bury it right now its just laid across from the house to the shop. But we are up and running for now. The plan is to sell/rent the place to my son who is now on a few acres next door (on my property) so when that happens we will build a RV Docking station where his double wide is now for when we come back north. You got more snow than we got, but that wind ect in an RV can't be nice, glad you got the leak fixed .
Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #4539

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Using the water pipe will work as long as there are no 90* bends, the water bends are too short, while the Electric conduit 90* bends are large radius. A wire pulling snake will work to pull the wire trough, or at least pull a rope through to pull the wire with. For a length like Gordons, you put a plastic bag tied on the end of the string and send it through with air pressure, shorter runs , you can use a shop vac on suction and the bag will pull the string through. Glad that you are back up and running.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #4540

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Afternoon, Gordon that's a long way to the shop, I'd be tired and have to rest when I got there! .
Hi Terry;

Shop is pretty close to the house. Decided I wanted all of the power on the property buried. Had overhead before and the neighbors trees kept taking the overhead line down. They had no interest in changing anything.

Had the power company put in a transformer at the property line and then ran the power from there to the shop where the main box is. Then ran the secondary from the shop to the house.

I do pack a sack lunch for the break during rest time. LOL
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #4541

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Frank, good tips on getting a string thru a pipe, I've never done any long runs where I couldn't use a wire puller, but now I know. Gordon, I've been known to take a snack with me even though the house is very close . Kinda slow start to get back going after having a few days off,........... experimenting with building hinges for the compartment doors that I want to build, first try............fail, darn gotta start again. Rebuilding the battery box from an old truck tractor to repurpose for the coach batteries. And building a license plate holder. Waiting for warmer weather and March 15th, IF we don't have a pile of snow we get the TH out of storage .
Old 02-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #4542

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Glad that I can help, any way possible.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #4543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
For a length like Gordons, you put a plastic bag tied on the end of the string and send it through with air pressure, shorter runs , you can use a shop vac on suction and the bag will pull the string through.
After we bought the rv, I decided to install a transfer switch in the house and run another line out to the garage so we could plug the house into the generator for power outages. Luckily I have a friend who is an electrician. We buried the conduit, and then sucked a string tied to a Wal-Mart bag through the whole length of pipe. I think it's around 150 feet maybe... it worked great. We then used the string to pull a rope back through the conduit, which we then tied to our 4 individual conductors to pull them through. The 4 single wires pulled pretty easy, but they were also aluminum. For generator use that would be used maybe once every year or two for lights and maybe the well pump, it didn't make sense to spend the extra money for copper. I forget what Gage aluminum wires we used, but it was pretty large in order to compensate for the higher voltage drop of aluminum over copper. Anyways... all that to say that the plastic bag/string/shop vac method worked awesome.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:11 AM   #4544

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, Piker, Thanks those tips are great for anyone thinking about doing this. 5* this morning waiting for it to warm up a little.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #4545

We also used the wire to rope to string to bag/rag and a shop vac in blow mode to run wires through conduit. There's also some lube stuff we used too ,can't remember the name anymore.

OH my goshk !
When I gave the no leak report I forgot to go up front to check the roof in the cab over area. Both of the tubs I had up there to catch drips were .....wait for it........ dry !!
Now I can use them for storage again !

More snow/rain mix tonight and tomorrow here in ECA (East Coast Alaska)
Terry
March 15th ,,,, careful , don't want to have to shovel that roof !!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #4546

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, I know I might be pushing it a little with the March 15th but we can always hope . Working on a variety of projects today, building the door for the ladder storage, including the hinges and latch. Working on the Generator, cleaning contacts and testing, looks like I need a voltage regulator. We are supposed to get these little snow "events" like every day maybe a couple of bigger storms off around Wed./Thursday.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #4547

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, what a cool way to get your line into the conduit! I would of never thought of doing it that way! What a great bunch of minds we have on here!
Lynne, thank's for the report on your thumb, my finger is pretty stiff right now, still a little swollen, but am hoping for good results!
Frank, You are the MAN!! I just got off the phone with Steve from Florida, and the 1996 Monaco Windsor 38' MH is Mine! Wow! Finally found "The One"!!! Well, soon as I can figure out how to get the pictures from CL to on here I will post them!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #4548

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats Rail , can't wait too see the Pic's

Hey Gordon any sno storms or Thunder Storms down your way? Nothing but pure sunshine up here and maybe 91 also.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #4549

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone Please to explain too someone about the plastic bag? Do you add a little air to the bag? or just use for suction,

Thanks,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #4550

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - has been really nice since you and Joe and you were here. Just like the day you were down. Was 84 yesterday and calm. Calm so far this morning. Predicting some wind tomorrow though. Sorry - still off topic.

No idea of how the bag and vacuum works but I imagine a bit of air has to be in the bag otherwise it would collapse. Figure it would take two or three attempts to get it to work for me. Sounds like a great idea though.

Happy for Rail and his DW. Nice looking coach.