Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #4649

Good deal on the fly !
I really don't think anyone will mistake that rig for factory !!! Do what makes you happy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #4650

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, I once painted a nice Firebird it was a blood red with pearl just got done laying the last coat on and in came a big ole fly on steroids he landed on the hood and crawled and rolled over half the hood, took me two days to fix that one , After that I used to bug bomb the paint shop once a month.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #4651

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is looking good. Thought on the "flames" I saw one where the flames were just a shade off the base paint . Kind of ghost flames.
I came across some one doing a similar build. If you haven't seen it I thought you would be interested.
My name is John and I have a problem... - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum=
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #4652

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Always one has to find the wet paint. Glad that he didn't do any more damage and that you can pluck him out.
Bill,
Nice build.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #4653

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, always a fly! Or mosquito! At least he was stuck on the bumper, as will be many of his family in the future!
Bill, that thread was amazing! So many of the old trucks I used to be around, and I still have a buddy in Illinois that has a couple of the old Diamond T's put away in his barn! Rail!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #4654

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Bill, I've checked out that site several times it's pretty amazing what those guys have done, . That's exactly how we are doing the flames on the Tot'r, ( Ghost )we will be using a pearl with jus a little color, if it comes out right you'll have to look for them. Yup I suspect that there will be many bugs to join him in the future. Warming up into the 50's today.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #4655
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
... a big ole fly on steroids he landed on the hood and crawled and rolled over half the hood, took me two days to fix that one , After that I used to bug bomb the paint shop once a month.
Terry,

I have one of these in my workshop (I don't like getting bit by mosquitoes) and one in the building where I spray paint. They really do ZAP the bugs and are working great.

Electronic Indoor Insect Killer Zapper - 15.5 Inch, 20W

I bought mine on Amazon for about $35 each. Well worth the cost to avoid bugs in the paint jobs. I hung them somewhat near the entry door for each building. At first you can get startled by the "ZAP" when a bug is attracted to the UV lights then hits the electrified grid. But, you know they are working.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #4656

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Charles, I had forgotten about those, that would definitely work, thanks for the info
Old 03-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #4657

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Absolutely beautiful here today, sunny and 60* so far. We are framing in the two compartments in the rear of the body they will be built very solid as I want to use them for heavy items. jacks, tools ect. And I painted the ladder with the left over paint instead of throwing it away, when you put a catalyst hardener in the paint it only lasts for 8 hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0308161014.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	120939   Click image for larger version

Name:	0308160818.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	120940  

Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #4658
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Terry,

I know you mentioned this in a previous post (there are now over 4600 posts!), but could you remind me, please?

What type of welding equipment do you have, or what does it take, to build frames out of the square tubing you are using? And, how long does it take for one to get proficient enough to be sure it is structurally sound?

OK, the second question is dependent on my ability to learn and practice.

The reason for the question is: we are hunting for a used Class A DP. Some of the ones we saw may require some rework on the storage areas underneath the rig. If it is cost-effective, I am considering tackling it myself if need be. My first choice is not having to do it. But, I usually can figure things out to get the job done. My last welding experience was back in 7th or 8th grade, and I probably don't remember the details. Besides, equipment might have changed in the last half-century!

I do have a grinder for smoothing the welds. And, I am pretty proficient in spray-painting wood (this is part of my paying job), and a little bit of metal. (Prep, prep, and more prep before you spray! Then, follow the manufacturer's recommendations for wet mils, scuff-sanding, etc.)

This is not something I probably will do, but if we find a rig that is good otherwise, it would be a plus to know how.

[EDIT] Just thinking about this idea of welding... It may work well for building some jigs, racks, etc. in my woodworking shop. I usually just think in terms of building everything with wood, because that is what I do. But, adding or using metal instead opens up a lot of possibilities in terms of strength and space utilization. Uh-oh. My mind is working overtime!

Thanks!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #4659

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Charles, Actually I have several welders, for welding thicker steels I have a DC stick welder, that's the one I use the most, especially outside, it also is the hardest to learn, the next one is a 210 amp mig, this also will weld thicker steel but I mostly use it to weld the tubing, (like the ladder, brackets ect.) inside the shop. The reason I use it mostly inside is it requires shielding gas that will blow away in the slightest of breezes outside, but there is also what they call flux core wire that can be used outside, but to me its messy and requires more cleanup. The third welder I have is a little 90 amp mig that I use mostly to spot weld and some thin sheet metal work. I also have a Tig welder that I can use to weld aluminum. If I had to recommend a welder for some general use and welding up to say 1/4" steel Hobart makes a welder in 140 Amp that would do what you want to do, you can get those at Tractor Supply and probley others. Mig is fairly easy to learn quickly, There is alot of info on You tube on how to weld. Hopefully I answered your questions.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #4660

Freightliner Owners Club
Nice answer Terry.
Also Charles,
check with your local adult ed division at your local vocational school about welding classes, or sometimes the workforce development programs at the university level have welding classes. Also your local welding supply store may be able to steer you to an inexpensive welding class. These are in addition to the ones that Terry mentioned.
Frank
Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #4661

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Frank, that's good places to check also, had a friend that took a course at the state college. Moving slower than I would like to, I have one side compartment almost done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0308161509a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	120962  
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #4662

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Terry,
I taught at both The vocational school adult ed and the state college workforce development, not welding but the mechanical side of things and hydraulics. They taught a lot of people on welding and the experience was well worth the pricw for these people.
The moving slowly is no problem, you are moving ahead and not behind so all is good. The box looks great as usual.
Frank