Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #4873

Just read this thread,,, then turned on the TV, and Total Recall was on! One of my favorite movies. Perhaps your truck needs the same!

It might think it is Quaide right now!!!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #4874

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I am sure you will figure it out! The Tot'r is a "97", Mona is a late "96" basically a "97" and is a mech. motor! I figured it would be electronic too! I am glad it is mech., less to go wrong, just set it and go! My semi was a "97" and it was all electronic too!
Maybe a quick call to a International shop, talk to the head mech. tell him what's going on, trans change and all, and see what he suggest's?
VPM huh? Never heard of that one!
Rail!

Old 04-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #4875

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, it does kinda act like the government, nothing cooperates. Lloyd, LOL Rail, I never heard it called a VPM, cars now have several Body control modules to run everything that's basically what this is but until it communicates with the ECM the Tot'r is confused , it doesn't know what it is or what it has. I had noticed the trany shifted okay but the shift points were a little off, especially when shifting down. The saga continues.......
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #4876

Oh Boy Terry, I didn't know your rig was "electronic" those things give me the creeps! Our neighbor down the street paid a lot of money to have their tranny done at a "Authorized Detroit-Allison dealer" nearby before they went to Florida X-mas, they didn't even rebuild theirs on their MH, got on in a crate and they lost 1st gear before they got to the George Washington bridge on the way down. Felt sorry for them , they had a miserable trip with all the electronic crap that came up after they had that tranny fixed! Bobby
Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #4877

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bobby, I got a little creepy when I found out my truck had a "personality"
Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #4878

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Bobby, I got a little creepy when I found out my truck had a "personality"
Time for an exorcism! Hope it comes cheap/economical.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #4879

Maybe not necessarily a .gov truck, it might have been a fleet truck. If the original purchaser didn't pay $$ for more HP, then the computer doesn't let the engine have more HP.

International controls their codes pretty closely, and I've heard they threaten to pull their techs' cert if they reflash a computer with HP settings that don't match the VIN of the truck.

Maybe take your computer in with the VIN of a high HP truck with the same trans as yours and ask them to flash it?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #4880

DT466E ECM Problems - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Intnational 8100 with dt466e Page1 - Diesel Power Forums at Truck Trend Magazine

international dt466e? - TheDieselGarage.com

You might try buying a 250hp ECM, even if it doesn't work, and take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it....and see if they will give you a reman with 250HP written on it.
International DT466E Engine Control Modules (ECM) For Sale - MyLittleSalesman.com
Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #4881

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MT, This is an old Ryder lease truck, I have done a ton of research and there is so much conflicting info out there its mind boggling. I'm going into the International dealer tomorrow and talk to them, I used to know some of the guys there from back in the days of owning my big rigs but they are probley dead or retired. But at least I'll know what can or can't get done. From what I have gathered, (true or not ?) the computer(ECM) gets its direction from the VPM, that's the module that actually has the program of what the truck is, HP, auto ect. This truck is what they call a three computer model. I have found a couple of Co. that will burn custom programs so I may go that route, but I need to get everything working as it should first. With the VPM not communicating with the ECM the ECM is probley in limp mode, the truck starts and runs well with no skipping ect. If the ECM was bad it probley wouldn't run.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #4882
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
MT, This is an old Ryder lease truck, I have done a ton of research and there is so much conflicting info out there its mind boggling. I'm going into the International dealer tomorrow and talk to them, I used to know some of the guys there from back in the days of owning my big rigs but they are probley dead or retired. But at least I'll know what can or can't get done. From what I have gathered, (true or not ?) the computer(ECM) gets its direction from the VPM, that's the module that actually has the program of what the truck is, HP, auto ect. This truck is what they call a three computer model. I have found a couple of Co. that will burn custom programs so I may go that route, but I need to get everything working as it should first. With the VPM not communicating with the ECM the ECM is probley in limp mode, the truck starts and runs well with no skipping ect. If the ECM was bad it probley wouldn't run.
Hi Terry, being the programmer type, what you are describing makes a lot of sense to me Externalizing all the profile information about how the ECM should operate is smart and allows one ECM to be used generically. Hope you get this figured out as I'm interested in the outcome...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #4883

You will get it straightened out in short order Terry! Me on the other hand had to drown my sorrows watching and helping a friend of mine cut up and junk my air float / tilt cutting tables for junk! He cashed the smaller one in at the scrap yard and showed me a receipt for $13.00 , after he told me that I made him promise to keep the steel from the 9'x12' table and I would weld it up so he could have a nice workbench. Made me sick to see them go for nothing as my old boss paid like $3800 a piece for them before I ended up with them when he died. I had another friend flatbed them into the shop when I started 10 1/2 years ago, had a good run now time to let go and Enjoy a little! Wish I was closer to you , had some real nice 2"x2" and 3" channel you could have found a home for! Oh damn, I need a beer. Bobby
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #4884

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bobby,
That is heart breaking, but you just have to let it go or you will drive yourself wacko.
Terry,
I hope that you get things figured out soon, and that it isn't major.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #4885

Winnebago Owners Club
Bobby I think you said it very well. Time to let it go but still a disappointment.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #4886

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Carl, I am heading this am to the local International dealer, so hopefully I will have some answers . Bobby, I can relate, when I sold my shop I had to downsize to my shop at home, If I had been closer I would have been happy to help give the table and steel a new home. Frank, me too, I need to get this figured out and done so I can move on to building again. woke up to snow again this morning, a couple of inches, so tired of this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0408160614.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	123479