Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 AM   #491

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Ummm, THANKS Lynne , I have had nuthing but kind words from everyone, and I seriously thank everyone for all the suggestions and incouragement that I have received, and we are not done yet!! I am putting the EPDM on the hauler ether today or tomorrow, also still have to cut out the bumper and finish so I can put on the tags and take the TH for a spin!

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM   #492

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Just a thought, have you seen in the HDT section of what they say about using a semi 5er plate? I don't know all the details, just that it is really hard on the trailer.
Nice job on the roof, I agree with you about the wings, I would love to have one too, but they are out of my price range. I don't have the tools with me to build one like you do. It will look great when you get it done.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #493

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Frank, I've read about how hard they are, I'm not sure that I agree "yet" I'm reserving judgement, I'll say why, then I'm sure someone will jump in. If you look at any 5th wheel (other than an air one) they will ride just as hard as a full size one, any 5th wheel I have looked at is solid (up and down) other than some now rock side to side, the full size 5th wheel will allow a trailer to rock side to side, to a degree, now I know some will say it will bind up when trying to hook or unhook, but you really need to be off camber to have that happen, I won't leave my trailer that far off to worry about it. My biggest concern is not the 5th wheel so much as the suspension that is rated for 22,000 lbs, that will not give much and will possibly put more stress than anything, for that reason I will be going to an air ride 5th wheel, I am going to build a body on the back that will in compass that. Sorry got carried away. Thanks on the roof, I'm putting the EPDM on today (after it warms up abit)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #494

Terry,
I agree with you, I'm not convinced either. I would be remiss if I didn't bring it up though. You might want to check at a salvage yard for big trucks for an air ride setup for the truck, I even have it on my pickup, definitely worth checking on. When I did it on my Freightliner, bought the whole set up, frame, axles and all. Then just chopped the frame and spliced it in and reinforced the welds.
Frank
Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #495

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning, Frank, I was waiting for someone to bring the 5th wheel up, it was only a matter of time . I am glad you did thou, means that the forum is working. I have thought about putting air ride and doing just what you did as far as cutting the frame and adding the other (I could use a little more length) I have actually done this several times for other people. I got the hauler roof done yesterday, good thing they are predicting maybe an inch or so of snow tonight . I am cutting the rear bumper for the TH this Am, it got put on the back burner when I did the roof.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #496

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gentlemen,

Look up something called an (Alpha Gold Side Hauler) Just think you will appreciate the concept.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #497

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hummmm, Lynne, maybe for my next one, that is a unique idea, it looks like it would give more usable living area, very nice. Rear bumper is almost welded together, get some pics together soon.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #498

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Rear TH bumper is welded and primed for painting, will put it on tomorrow (if we don't get too much snow!!) . Still have to prep the rear of the TH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1101141804.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	78022  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #499

Terry,
Nice job, bumper looks good. Is that an LT4 sitting on the engine stand?
Frank
Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #500

Bolting or welding the bumper to the frame?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #501

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, #501! Terry, the bumper is looking very good! Did you get the snow they were predicting? I cannot help in the 5th wheel dept. other than i have seen air ride 5th wheel plates on a few older trailers, it was on the 5th wheel plate with the pin, they had two of the donut air bags and the plate that the pin was on was hinged on one end, with the air bags on the other end. I hooked up to a mobile command center for the air force that was like that, and it worked just fine! It rode surprisingly well! It was a older trailer, short wheel base, very heavy built, and housed all of the electronic's! As far as making your Int. air ride, that would be very easy! I do know they make air ride 5th wheels, but do not know much about them? Rail!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #502

Monaco Owners Club
Terry, I've been following your build since the first page and it's amazing what you've accomplished in a short time. Also, you seem to be very experienced in all things vehicle related but just in case, I wanted to share that my Columbia has been modified to pull either a tag, standard gooseneck, or fifth wheel. With the full air ride suspension, cab, and seats I can adjust for just about any trailer that I hook up to without damage from a overly stiff suspension. Attached is a pic, while not what I normally use to tow this small trailer, that gives you an idea of the versatility.

Again, it's obvious that you're likely aware of such possibilities and just as likely your truck will require some extensive mods to make it a complete air ride suspension but I wanted to share this as well as offer my congratulations on your very impressive build. Good luck with the final stages of your project and I'll be following along
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141006_134321.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	78059  
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #503

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning All, Yep Frank, thats an LT4, waiting for my 250,000 mile engine in my truck to let go. HH, going to bolt the bumper, I like to make things removable so I can repair if necessary.Rail, we did get the snow about 3" , I have seen some of those trailers with the air ride pins, I pulled one that was all air ride, pin and all, it was loaded with (I guess) some very sensitive electronics. Thunderfoot, welcome aboard!, do you adjust the air in your suspension? for the different trailers. I could see how that would work, also do you have an air suspension on your front axle?, I have seen them before. I also set up so I can pull gooseneck, bumper, and I have a pintle that I haven't installed yet. Installing air ride on the rear only will be "easy" but doing it on the front axle too, that I've never done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1102140615.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	78063  
Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #504

Point one--- What a beautiful picture Harley. Haven't seen a scene like that in fifty years.
Point two -----It would be nice if,when talking about LT4, air ride pins, pintle's and such, that you could provide some pics of this equipment for those of us who are trailer illiterate like me. I'd love to see what your talking about.