Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #505

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Day All, Norm, Thanks! the pic was off my back deck, it was early am thats why it was dark. I'll try to get some pics of what I was talking about and will explain, Frank had noticed an engine sitting on a stand in my shop, it is an LT4 that is a late model pick up truck engine. Rail, was talking about an 18 wheeler with an air pin plate it's kinda hard to explain but the part of the trailer that hooks up to the 5th wheel is on a hinge that has air bags on top, that cushions the ride for sensitive equipment that your hauling in the trailer, ( I don't have a pic of that), A pintle hook is just that, a big hook (on the truck) that a ring on the trailer drops into usually a trailer that hauls construction equipment, it takes the place of a normal ball and receiver. I hope that clears up some.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #506

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Well I spent the day rescuing a 22ft Sunline 5th wheel, the roof is in bad shape but it has all the parts I need to finish the inside of the TH. and I think that I can use all of it. Pictures will follow as I dismantle to reinstall in the other one, It was a real find, I paid 850.00 blew up the tires and pulled it home, all by noon time. Checked out and everything works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1103141413.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	78176   Click image for larger version

Name:	1103141527.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	78177  

Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #507

Winnebago Owners Club
Bonus - that was a stroke of fortune. Looks like some nice windows and awning as well as the inside stuff.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #508

TV antenna as well as roof AC. Is there a beer frig inside?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #509

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Gordon, we check CL frequently for "deals" parts ect. I saw this after it was listed 17 min ago, and called owner, said since I was the first called I had dibs. So chked it out and it has lots of good "stuff" the floor plan actually matches what we were planning. What we have to work with is roughly 21 ft for the cabin area, that happened to be what this 5th wheel is, so the kitchen, bathroom is dimensioned correctly. So a slight change in plans, this has good oak cabinets, in nice shape, slightly smaller reefer but workable. Electric/propane hot water heater (a plus) the awning is dirty but cleanable and not horrible colors. So we have slightly altered our interior plans (we are very flexable) to fit this new development. HH, yes It looks like the antenna works and its a good brand so parts are avail. the roof air does work, we didn't have one so all this is a plus in one package, PS it didn't have a beer frig.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #510

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Terry;
Exciting news. Real wood is a great thing to have. Much better than the pressed wood. However I never thought you would be using particle board even if you did it from scratch.

Having a pre built interior will make it that much easier - I hope. Sometimes it is really frustrating when trying to fit the stuff from one into the other when things are a bit too short.

Looking forward to pictures of the TH empty interior, the donor interior before the move and then the during photos of the transformation of the TH.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #511

If you are going to set up the generator comes on when the batteries get low then a small electric frig might be a good choice as a beer frig.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #512

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, Terry, great find! It looks like it will be a great for most of the parts that you will need! Didn't you say you had a small beer fridge you were going to put in the toy hauler section? So HH can stop worrying! Gordon, hope your wife is doing ok? Terry, I have pictures of that Air Force Mobile Command Center trailer somewhere? I will look and see if I can find. Do not remember if I have one of the air ride Pin assy. or not? It did not get pulled very much, and I was worried the whole time I was hooked to it! The tires scared me, as I hooked up to it at Indian Springs AFB, Nv. and took it to the Yuma Proving Grounds. It spent most of its time sitting out in the desert! It was one of those last min. loads that came up on a Friday, and had to go right away, Power only! So dropped my trailer, bobtailed out there, from Vegas. Hooked to it, had to slide my 5th wheel back all the way, to keep my mud flaps from getting ripped off. Then took it to the Yuma proving ground, dropped it, then bobtailed back to Vegas! If I remembered right it payed very well!! So a good days work!! Rail!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #513

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning All, Gordon, First, hope Janet is doing ok, it takes awhile and alot of patience. DW and I spent some time last night figuring, you are right, it won't be "easy" to retro the interior of one into the other, for one thing, the inside height is lower on the donor so we need to add cabinets to make up the dif. Also it's not going to be easy to remove the donor cabinets, it will be very time consuming, (they don't make them to come out). DW has the day off (Election Day) so we will spend the day cleaning out, (and up) the donor, will try and get some pics of the inside. HH, yep I have a small frig to put in the garage. Rail, those types of hauls can be fun (and frustrating) I never cared for bobtailing, it always seemed to be raining or bad weather and had to be careful I didn't swap ends, I drove alot of cabovers (rough riders). We have acouple of good weather days here, so here we go again get things ready for bad weather, (just when I thought I was done with that).
Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #514

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice find Terry, you need to look at it as it will take you less time to remove the cabinets than trying to figure out what you want to build new ones.
Gordon, hope your wife is doing well.
Rail, those are the fun jobs.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #515

Winnebago Owners Club
Just thinking about the swap. It may be advantageous to just use the appliances, etc that you want and panel the walls with new material.

Takes me a while to think things through. With the raised roof you installed the difference in the walls can make the paneling swap frustrating. Likley the TH will have room for taller cabinets than in the donor.

IMO the cabinets from the donor could be perfect for the garage. You must of had some thoughts originally about purchasing or building custom cabinets. That may be the least frustrating way to finish the TH. Bit taller and slightly more costly than swapping but the frustration level would be reduced.

The custom cupboards will be taller and you have the option of building them slightly deeper. An inch or two deeper can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the thoughts about Janet. Hip surgery has been postponed. Drs have found some cancer so we are in the testing stage to determine the extent in order to determine the treatment.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #516

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Well I spent the day rescuing a 22ft Sunline 5th wheel, the roof is in bad shape but it has all the parts I need to finish the inside of the TH. and I think that I can use all of it. Pictures will follow as I dismantle to reinstall in the other one, It was a real find, I paid 850.00 blew up the tires and pulled it home, all by noon time. Checked out and everything works.
Nice find Terry; from the pics it appears you brought it home with the CFC (corn field caddy).

Re your questions, yes I do adjust the suspension if I'm pulling a very light, or small trailer as in the pic. The Columbia has the stock air bags in the rear and sprung ft axle. It's 245" wheelbase and the ft axle is set forward on this model. The overall ride quality is very similar to my Dually and the trailer contents stay secure without moving or shifting while traveling.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your interior progress
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #517

Thought we would get pics of the inside of both today.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #518

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good evening, Gordon, first off extra prayers for Janet, hope all goes well. Frank, Its going to be a challenge, but I think I can make it work. Gordon, we are definitely going to have to install new wall paneling. We are looking at what we can do above the cabinets, a friend actually purchased a small TH that has open cabinets above, or we can put another set above the ones we have,not sure how that will look. The other option is what you mentioned, doing custom made for the upper, I think these would be fairly easy to duplicate. Thunderfoot, yep I used the CFC its the easiest one to use, I have air avail to blow up tires or to use an air gun to change one if needed, and not that I needed it but its got more then enough size and power. Good idea on the air ride, I have done conversions on other peoples trucks, guess I'll have to do mine. HH, I have been busy testing, cleaning, making sure things have antifreeze if I don't get them removed in time. I did get some of the donor's insides, try to get the TH's in a day or so, tomorrow I'm going to remove the air cond. and vents ect. from donor's roof, then I can screw a tarp on to keep mother nature out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1104140907.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	78245   Click image for larger version

Name:	1104140907a.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	78246  

Name:	1104140907b.jpg