Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #5167

Rail Mona sounds like a dream super coach...glad your alternator is back on and I really hate chasing down electrical issues they can be a bugger..

Terry looking great sorry bout the hands hope the meds kick in quick....keep up the great work ....if I was closer I would live to help with the D/A I have a natural talent for one of those even though I don't use it much...

Be safe everyone

Mk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #5168

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Sorry about the hands. Reminded me of working with our oldest grand daughter yesterday. She has decided she has to work to make some money and to get stronger. She is 13 so this is a nice turn of events. I have been cutting down some birch trees that have aged out so yesterday the two of us were cleaning up some branches. I have a big pair of tree pruners for the small branches and a cordless reciprocating saw for the thicker ones. I showed her how to use the saw. For the first bit the saw gave her a full body workout. She would pull the trigger and her entire body would vibrate. It took a bit to get her to push the saw against the limb instead of pushing and pulling the saw. After a bit she said her hands were tired as well. So I took over and the two of us had a great time cleaning up a bunch of dead birch. I am pretty sure her favorite part is driving the tractor.

Terry - looking forward to seeing paint on the Tot'r.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #5169

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks guys, MK, it takes a special touch to work a DA well, I've employed several that never could get it. It's a balancing act to use the meds and still get something done, just enough to move, I can live with the pain. Started the disassembly, pulled the 5th wheel next are the lights and get into finish welding and installing the left side trim on the wheel well. Gordon, great to hear the GD is helping out too many are stuck looking at a computer or phone, I'm sure the tractor is a good motivator.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #5170
cwk

Someone please remind me what a "DA" is? Thanks.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #5171

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Charles, A DA is an Dual Action Sander.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #5172
bap

ohhh, i know a couple DA,s....lol

sorry guys i just had to,,,,---ya know i dont know why i dont post on here more often,,always in a rush and to be honest have only reworked 1 mh,,so i mostly just read on here when i have a chance,...oooops caught here comes debbie with here whip gotta run and act like im working......lol

jeff
Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #5173
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Charles, A DA is an Dual Action Sander.
Terry, Thanks.

For my woodworking I use a Festool ETS-1503 random orbital sander. Sort of the same basic concept, to a point. But, this model is for fine sanding work. It's expensive (currently $360), but it is a fantastic tool and vibration-free. It also connects to their vacuum (with auto-start), so it leaves virtually no dust behind. Essentially it is a 6" random orbital sander.

I've used less expensive sanders before this one, and my hand would start to go numb after an hour or so. That was not a good thing.

Festool does make some sanders for more aggressive stock removal. Some are listed as having minimal vibration. One is:
Rotex RO 150 FEQ Multi-Mode Sander - 571810

It prices out at $595. Yes, it is not inexpensive. But, these are some serious tools with great engineering and quality.

I have several of their tools for my shop. They have justified their initial cost over the years so I am happy.

First photo is my sander. Second photo is the more aggressive sander. Festool makes a full line of sanders and other power tools.

Just thought I would share. Disclaimer: My only connection to Festool is as a happy customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ets-1503-eq-random-orbital-finish-sander-571786-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	126836   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotex-ro-150-feq-multimode-sander-571810-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	126837  

Old 05-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #5174
bap

nice,,,i will have to give them a try,,,the FIL does ALOT of wood work and i do some,,

i totaly understand the numb hand thing....

thanks for sharing...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #5175
cwk

Jeff,

I also have the vacuum that goes along with this. It is on wheels. Festool calls it a dust extractor. It is designed to work with all of the Festool power tools.

My suggestion would be to find a dealer that carries the Festool line in their showroom and try it out at the store. Go to festoolusa.com and look under "Where to Buy" for a local dealer. Trying it in person is worth the trip. They should also be able to explain the different models and their uses.

And, if you can, take FIL with you, let him play with it, and watch his reaction.

FWIW I also purchase the Festool brand sandpaper as well. It may cost a bit more, but it seems to work well for me. I do get that at Amazon using my Amazon Prime shipping.

Regarding pricing, Festool has set the pricing for its products. So, it doesn't matter where you buy it. They are all priced the same. The best you can probably hope for is free shipping and out of state sales tax treatment.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #5176

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Bap, I'd rather not know any DA's (the District type) . Charles, those would be real nice, not sure how they would hold up in the high, (extreme) dust conditions, plus when I start to use it I don't stop sometimes for a long time, several hours at a time, electric usually get hot, and I'm working in flammable fumes, I use air powered ones. But I can appreciate the quality of good tools . Would really like the no vibration feature. I almost have the rear body ready for paint, but its going to rain the next two days then temps are going down to the middle 50's, so I might be able to get back to it by the middle of next week . My hands could use the rest.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #5177
cwk

Terry,

These are NOT rated as explosion proof. At least not that I know of. I doubt it. I sand in a different room/building from where I spray. So, flammable fumes are not an issue.

The vacuum should take care of the dust issue. There are multiple vacuums to choose from with different CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air movement.

We have used these for hours on end and have never thought about them over-heating.

But, I can only tell you my experiences. You know your operational requirements. I don't.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #5178

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Charles, I think that's the reason we use air tools because of the electrical spark, when I had a body shop you could be spraying lacquer primer on the tail while sanding on the front, not the conditions for having an ignition source There was a study somewhere at one time also that it was cheaper to run air tools versus electric not sure if it still applies. Well the weatherman was right, its raining here so we are taking it easy today.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #5179

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, well we haven't got anything done the last couple of days weather has not been cooperating. rain all day yesterday and snow today didn't get above 45* all day with 35mph winds, cold. Hoping next week will be better. Hard to get a pic but here is the snow, notice the lack of leaves on the trees this has just been a lousy spring so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0515161717a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	671.1 KB
ID:	127140  
Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #5180

You're not alone... Same lousy cold and snowy weather here today too... I've got about a day's worth of work to do to the rv before it's all ready for our trip, but I just can't bear to be out in this cold.

-cheers