Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #5195
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Glad you are felling better. That is a great paint booth.
x2

cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #5196

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Glad that you are feeling better Terry, looks like your booth will work just fine.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #5197

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, glad you are feeling better! Wow, the blue sky looks great! I think the paint booth will work just fine! How long is it? 40' by chance? Think Mona will fit? Hehehehehe! Just kidding! Hope the weather stays nice for you! Rail!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:56 AM   #5198

Nice booth Terry, can't wait to see what it looks like once you are finished!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #5199

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Thanks guys, Rail, the booth will be expandable! Like most things I build I have future plans . Well gotta get with it catch all later.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #5200

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
2 Coats of Epoxy Primer laid down............next 2 coats of sandable primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0521161236.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	127690   Click image for larger version

Name:	0521161236a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	127691  

Old 05-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #5201

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks great Terry can't wait to see when it's all completed. I know it's been said before but you do some nice work.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #5202
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
2 Coats of Epoxy Primer laid down............next 2 coats of sandable primer.
Terry,

What equipment do you use to spray? What does your spray equipment look like? Any photos?
Old 05-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #5203

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Thanks, Charles, My spray equipment is as old school as me , I'll take a couple pics when I go back out, I started painting cars when Lacquer and enamel was the go to paint, when Acrylic Enamel came out I thought I was in heaven, I've used alot of different materials and they all work well for the application they are designed for, I don't like the film thickness of base coat/clear coat for what I'm doing here. It would be a whole lot easier to do it that way, but anybody can do easy right? My spray guns are probley 35 years old and not low pressure. Here's a pic of the gray primer all done, I only primed the sides and back the top is getting a bed liner treatment. Hard to tell I sprayed it gray.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #5204

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the Tot'r fix Terry. Good to see the changes. Big accomplishments now as he final finishing is being done.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #5205

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I just looked and there's no pic like I said on the last post , paint fumes musta got me. Well here it is now. plus here is a look at my fancy paint equip. the ones here are my newest, the one on the left is my primer gun, (it's all tore down getting cleaned) the one on the right has sprayed ALOT of finish coats. I have a water trap 2ft. out of the air compressor, then I use a storage tank separate from the compressor tank, that also acts like a water separator, then before my hose to the gun there is another water separator, (I know I hate water) then it goes thru a large filter that uses a roll of toilet paper as the filter then another filter at the gun. I have never had water or dirt in my paint from the gun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0521161442.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	127705   Click image for larger version

Name:	0521161640.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	127706  

Old 05-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #5206
cwk

Terry,

That would be a pair of conventional, siphon feed, spray guns with a needle/nozzle size of about 1.4mm (around 0.055"). Am I close?

I understand that Sharpe is now owned by Graco; one of the big players in the industry.

My thoughts on great spray jobs: 50% of the quality is in the equipment. The other 95% is the user.

Thanks for the photos! (Sometimes I can get more interested in the toys that build the toys!)
Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #5207

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Charles, I agree sometimes, when I'm looking at photos I'm looking at the equipment in the background. I checked my spray guns and the nozzle size has worn off, and I can't remember the size off hand. I know the primer gun has a bigger orifice then my finish gun but other than that ??? I have used an HVLP and I know I could get used to it but they just seem clumsy to me with the cup on the top. What type do you use?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #5208
cwk

Terry,

Since you asked...

For years I used gravity feed HVLP cup guns. But, I got tired of refilling the cup over and over. For a lot of my projects, a single part would require spraying more than half of the cup's capacity. So, I would fill up the cup after every part. (Some of the larger parts are 32" x 82" or bigger.)

Earlier this year I purchased a number of pressure pot systems and HVLP guns. I have separate systems for water-borne and solvent-based products. I don't want the hassle of the change-over and cleaning process between types of products. I even have a separate system for spraying dyes (think color stains) since it uses a different solvent. I also keep primer and topcoat in separate systems. That's nice when I am spraying lots of parts (maybe 30-50?) and want to do them in batches. I don't have to change the gun over from one product to the other then back again. Time is $$$. For some of the products I can leave them in the system, under pressure, for days or longer.

Anyway, I bought 2.5 gallon pressure pots and HVLP spray guns. I do not pour the finish material (lacquer, primer, etc.) into the pot. I simply place the entire gallon container in the pot. The pickup tube fits very well and will get almost all of the material out of the gallon can. It may leave a 1/2" or so.

I find the pressure pot systems to be much faster than the gravity guns. I can control how much fluid comes out by adjusting the air pressure pushing into the pot (which then pushes the fluid through the fluid hose to the gun) as well as adjusting the needle travel (as with your guns). I can adjust the air pressure for atomization with a separate air regulator. There are two regulators on top of the pressure pot.

I can keep spraying without the need to refill for quite some time now. I can also hold the gun upright, sideways, even upside down. I can reach over the parts and easily spray the opposite edge by aiming the gun back towards me. (Yes, I wear old shoes and clothes. The exhaust fan catches/pulls most of the overspray away from me, but some still gets through.)

The HVLP guns have been shown to be more efficient. There is less overspray. Well, the operator must adjust everything properly of course. But, you do not need as much air pressure to get good atomization and a good spray job. As you know, needle/nozzle size is important. For my primers I use a larger nozzle size than for the finish coat, just like you do. The primers are usually thicker.

The photo is one of my setups. The airline from the compressor is on the right. The yellow line is air to the gun. The white line is fluid to the gun. The right regulator controls the pressure inside the pot, which then controls the fluid pressure to the gun. The left regulator controls the air pressure to the gun. The gun works pretty much like what you are using. There is an adjustment for fan width and nozzle opening on the gun just like yours.

It's nice not to have the extra weight of the cup and fluid at the gun. And, being able to spray an entire gallon before a refill is needed. Holding the gun at various angles with ease is a bonus.

OK. I'm wearing my fingers out here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0648A.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	127733