Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #5307

Winnebago Owners Club
Having some second sober thoughts.

Centered
Would be able to take couches and other large items straight into the body.
A larger door may bump into the 5er when it was hooked up.

Side
Jack knife could be open and still get out the door.
Could put an enclosed washroom on the other side.
If the couch was on the same side as the door you could still take it straight in.

Don't want to over think this so am going to stop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #5308

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gordon,
That is funny.
Popeye,
Just for the record, my Grandfather came from Transylvania.
Terry,
Glad that things went well. Moving the door would depend on the layout. If you put the bath in the back corner, and move the door to the other side, that might give you more useable space, just a thought.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #5309

Hi Terry, Good video!

The truck is looking great. I like the aluminum idea around the rear. Have you thought about carrying it down the sides of the body, thereby covering the former wheel arches?

I agree on the bigger door, that is a trend we noticed in the new RV's. Many now have bigger doors. Easier to get through for us older folks.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #5310

Terry,
I got to reread the above posts and to just clear up a couple points, when I said to move the door to the side, I was talking about offseting the door, but still have it on the back wall. This is to allow you to set the bath up in the opposite back corner and give you a little more room, again this depends on what you have in mind for the rest of the layout. Hope that the weather holds out for you and that the rain stays away. They are saying that we could get between 4 to 6" of rain Monday and Tuesday.
Later,
Frank
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #5311

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Nice brite sunshine today but predicting maybe 2 or more inches of rain tomorrow, all the road fixin may go away again . We are looking at the door situation, I kinda would like to move it over, but have to wait and see what is going where, the bathroom area needs to go up front and on the driver's side because of tank location, (the genny is in the back left) Lloyd, yes there is going to be aluminum diamond plate going down the sides, it will serve two purposes, split the side between the fiberglass and the bottom steel and cover some nasties too. Setting up the paint booth today in it's semi perm. spot.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #5312

We are supposed to get between 5 and 8" of rain Monday, so I understand about the washing out of the roads. I forgot about the tanks being up front for the bath, so I guess where the door goes depends on where everything else is laid out. Hope that the rain holds off for you.
Frank
Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #5313

Hi All!

Yup, I forgot where the tanks is also. There is a lot to consider here. I'm just brain storming,,,, but a small set of glass sliding doors would be cool there... be the only one around!

I think we talked about this sometime ago, but some sorta aerodynamic looking brow across the back of the body would look good and keep a little of the rain off when entering.

Cool on the diamond plate on the sides Terry, that will look great.

My sister in-law and her husband came down for the graduations, they are staying in site #1. They have a 30' Winnebago that is like 4 years old, hardly used. Their entry steps broke. The various points in the steps are steel riveted as hinge points, and the rivets are not peened enough. Two rivets have fell out. The dealer wouldn't help them, told them go find a welder. Once they get up this morning gonna work on their stairs.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #5314

Lloyd,
I wonder where they will find a welder? Hmmmmm
Frank
Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #5315

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, All this rain is crazy everywhere except where it's really needed. I need to sit down and really figure where I can put things in the Tot'r, the fact that it's a truck with driveshafts down the middle kinda put's another wrinkle in things, otherwise it wouldn't matter, you can just run piping from one side to the other. In a MH most are built high enough to run the pipes anywhere. Lloyd, Sliding glass doors in a Toter, , geez I could look out the back and see the TH from the driver's seat. Yup we talked about putting a "brow" on the back, I like the idea because I like when the semi's have the aero on the backs of the sleepers, (it works well also for fuel economy) I just need to figure how much room I have to see how big I can make them. I've seen those types of rivets there's a fine line to swaging them so they still will move and falling out, I guess they didn't find that line? I'm sure you will fix'em . I'm moving very slow today, part of the chemical cocktail I get in the infusion is a very large dose of steroids, a few days later and I'm on the down side of them with my body trying to find a balance and not quite finding it, screws thing up.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #5316

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hi All!

Yup, I forgot where the tanks is also. There is a lot to consider here. I'm just brain storming,,,, but a small set of glass sliding doors would be cool there... be the only one around!

I think we talked about this sometime ago, but some sorta aerodynamic looking brow across the back of the body would look good and keep a little of the rain off when entering.

Cool on the diamond plate on the sides Terry, that will look great.

My sister in-law and her husband came down for the graduations, they are staying in site #1. They have a 30' Winnebago that is like 4 years old, hardly used. Their entry steps broke. The various points in the steps are steel riveted as hinge points, and the rivets are not peened enough. Two rivets have fell out. The dealer wouldn't help them, told them go find a welder. Once they get up this morning gonna work on their stairs.

L.
To bad you are not closer. Re peening the rivets should be a fairley simple job.
You don't need any fancy tools, you need a heavy bucking bar (you can use a heavy hammer) and a lighter hammer say 12 oz.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #5317

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, hope you get to feeling better, the stuff they give you, 'to make you better', sometimes you have to wonder??? I know how you feel!
Well, take into consideration that the drive shaft is there, and put the bathroom on the driver's side, along with the tanks. The kitchen probably should go right after the bath, same side. At least the sink! You could put the fridge and stove on the other side. Just thinking out loud, and thinking of all the big sleeper trucks I have seen. When you start laying it out, it should make sense? Should you have run the drains and waterline's in the floor when you were building it? And can you still do that if needed? Trying to remember, you made a raised floor, didn't you?
Either way, it will all work out! Rail!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #5318

Terry
Steroids !! Guess you'll have to resign from the Olympics and all the other pro sports you play now ?
There is one perfect way to lay out that camper area and I'm sure you two will find it !

Lloyd
They sure don't build things very well anymore.....
Those steps are as good as fixed already , no doubt !
If you can't re peen the rivets ,maybe a pin ???

Frank
5-6" of rain !!!!!!! You're gonna need a boat !
Old 06-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #5319

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Rail, that's just about where things will be, do the drains and water lines as I built it , that would be too easy!! Actually I had kinda planned that they would just be on the drivers side. Popeye, do they have an Olympic sport of RV Building? if so I graciously will resign . Rain all day today, supposed to be good tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #5320

Terry
Nope , not a sport ,,,,get back to work !!!!!

I'm sure nobody here will be mad if when you finish this rig you just drive (and camp) and never go back to building again !

And they'll just look , then give it a thumbs up , and then get down on the ground and bow !!

And your name will be whispered around campfires as an inspiration to all ,,,,,,,,( as it should be ) pass around a photo of your rig and say " He started with a pile of junk and it ended up like this!!", then they will pass the popcorn !!