Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #5419
cwk

Terry,

Once you have the fiberglass repaired, what type of paint would you use? Is there a primer first? Then topcoats?

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #5420

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Thanks Guys! Frank, I actually made that video before Tim had his oops, I should have maybe added how to mix the resin and what materials I used and where to get them. Charles, I need to do this stuff anyway, (this is my life, LOL) so I figured why not film it and if I can show how I do it without fancy equipment, really no shop to speak of maybe I can inspire someone to do their own project, I can't say how I do something is always the "right" way or the best way, but mostly it's the way I've been doing things my whole life. I have some other projects in the works not all RV related, but I guess I've kinda started down this path of maybe inexpensive ways to do some projects, (it has to be I'm retired!!) Stay Tuned
Terry,
Thankyou ,Thankyou
Just watched the video. I was up all night battling with my back so I got to watch it 4 times this morning...LOL
You make it look so easy. I'm going to give it a shot (sodaspeak). I left you a message on the other site. I'm going to start on it tomorrow. Can I get supplies at a auto parts store or do I need to go to a body shop? I have the sander but not that bar type? can I rent one?
Thanks again and thanks' to Frank for telling me about it and Lloyd, Gordon & rail for the inspiration to give this a go myself.
I was given a quote of $2550.00 to have it fixed at a body shop. Here is what I'm looking at on the rear cap. (pics)
I have no idea what he used, most is rock hard and some like above the taillight is spongy.? Will I need cloth since I have the old pieces, use just bondo? There are areas that I think I just need to smooth it out and the spot by the bumper will need fill.
Thanks again,
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160621_125452.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	130813   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160621_125542.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	130814  

Name:	20160621_125728.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	130815   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160621_125703.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	130816  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #5421

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Charles, After the fiberglass is set up I do a light sanding to rough up the surface, then depending on what it's on sometimes I epoxy primer, but it's not necessary. You can just use whatever primer that you need for the type of topcoat (finish) paint that you are going to use. Tim, you can actually buy fiberglass resin and matting at Wally world in the auto dept. they have alot of what you can use for a small repair. You will need to sand back to the original fiberglass anywhere there is a break or crack, I would use the original pieces since they are the right shape, once you grind them down tape them all together and to the PA on the back sides, cut your matting to fit the areas that you have ground down first before you mix your resin because there isn't alot of time to apply, wear some disposable gloves as that stuff can get sticky and use a disposable small paint brush to dab the resin into the mat. Any questions just ask I'll try and answer. You might not need the air file (bar type) Oh by the way don't worry about bondo until all the glassing is done first, bondo is only used to smooth out any imperfections.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #5422

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Good Morning, Had some pretty strong thunderstorms last night, but no damage that I can see. Should be able to start on the aluminum for the rear. Here's a video on how to fiberglass a large hole, (at least how I do it)
Old 06-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #5423

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, Pretty much! yup.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #5424

Gulf Streamers Club
Terry, good job on the video on using fiberglass. For anyone that has never used the process before, you might be able to practice on a repair that will not be as visible. I have used fiberglass to repair the air conditioner covers on roof of MH that were beginning to crack and get brittle with time. And vent covers also. That gets you thru the process of mixing the resin, laying the matt, and smoothing the result. Then when you get that process working, you can move on to more visible repairs. I started years ago fixing a sun roof for a golf cart that had cracked. I will be going back to my MH tomorrow and will take a picture of a cracked wheel well trim piece that was attacked by a construction cone while I was driving a couple of months ago. That is going to be a challenge to fix.

Later.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #5425

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron, Yes once you get the process down, it's a handy substance to use, I want to try plastic welding, I know some guys that repair alot of plastic parts, like bumpers ect. I have used some parts as a mold to actually make new pieces.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #5426

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Well didn't get to start on the aluminum today, we had a very windy day and I'm here alone so I didn't want to get 4X8 sheets of aluminum out to try and cut and install. I think tomorrow is going to be the same. So I started another project that I've wanted to do for some time, it's doing a restore on my old 300,000 mile shop truck/snow plow. This will take sometime to do as I'll be doing it in my "spare" time, I'm doing a video set of it but anyone that wants to view it will need to go to my You Tube channel, as I don't think it's appropriate to post it here. Here's a teaser........I am also doing some tips and tricks there too, of little things that I've picked up thru the years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0621161616 (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	130834  
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #5427

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - nice teaser. I disagree with you on posting the newest rebuild on the total thread. How appropriate to post the total of the rebuilds where we can appreciate it. Sort of one stop shopping/viewing for us.

After all: Your Thread - - - Your Rules.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #5428

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Good Morning, Had some pretty strong thunderstorms last night, but no damage that I can see. Should be able to start on the aluminum for the rear. Here's a video on how to fiberglass a large hole, (at least how I do it)

Great tutorial video of the fiberglass task! And, the aluminum Tot'r door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
battling with my back
I'm going to give it a shot (sodaspeak). I'm going to start on it tomorrow.
Bummer about you MH accident, Tim. Hope your back gets well soon and good luck on your MH repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I will be going back to my MH tomorrow and will take a picture of a cracked wheel well trim piece that was attacked by a construction cone while I was driving a couple of months ago. That is going to be a challenge to fix.
If you do work on fixing the wheel well trim, Ron, I'd be interested in your repair video, as my wheel well trim is cracked, also.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #5429

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry one word Yuma, okay 2 Az, okay more than 2.
We had a wonderful time down there and they have Happy Hour @ 4 everyday including Sunday.
Mind you I don't drink. But still have fun.

It took us about 3 hours this afternoon to get the concours to our trusted Mechanic's shop we had to stop 5 times to charge the battery off the 64 The alt is shot and I'm not up too doing the job. I asked Joe about the third stop why didn't we use the MH and KarKaddyss and put the concours on it.? DUH he says, "Really the 64 is fun'r "
Both of us have Dr. appointment's tomorrow, MRI for me for my Big toe some sort of infection going on almost a year.
That's about it from here,
Tim
opps Beamis I finally got around to get a pic of the girls together so will post tomorrow if I get time.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #5430

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, well you asked for it, I'll put the links as they come up. Rich, LOL, the great northeast, if you don't like the weather wait 5 min. it'll change, where we are in upstate NY it does seem that the weather changes ALOT. Tim, Yuma sounds very nice for sure, hope all comes out okay for your foot. I'm watching the weather, (here I go again Rich lol) might be able to do aluminum Friday. Here's a quick tip.............
Old 06-22-2016, 05:31 AM   #5431

Good video Terry! And the Tot'er is looking good.

Got any plans to get out in that thing again? June is flying by, and summer where you are is short? Thought maybe you and Eleanor would get a trip in this year?

We will be in Gettysburg with the brother in-law and family in about 30 days. The annual family gathering. If I don't run up and down I 81 twice a year I feel a void in my life. (this will be second trip)

Tim, sure hope they can do something with that toe. It sounds very painful. Surprised you are doing as much as you do. Yuma sounds great, maybe winter 2017 I can join, gotta wait till Deb is done with work. 8 days more for me.

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #5432

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
^ ^ ^
Thanks Lloyd, Can't feel my right foot because of my back injury and my Left has started I stepped on a Cigarette that some one thru on the ground and before I new it I got a deep burn, the Doc has been using scalpels with nothing for pain cutting the infection away.
Tim