Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #533

Eleanor come up with that idea?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #534

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey Terry, i was looking at the CFC, and noticed you have the Dayton wheels, as a lot of the semi's do back east! You thinking about changing to Alcola, or Acuride alum. rims? Would look very good!. Also, does the CFC have good dash air? Or your going to put a roof air on the sleeper, as that will change the wing? You could think about a whale tail off of a Pete or KW, and notch it for the a/c? Just throwing out some thoughts? It looks very good now, and with the diamond plate same as the TH, Wow! And i thought the same as you about the couch out of the donor, going in the CFC! Perfect! Good Job! Rail!

Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #535

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good morning all, HH, the CFC is all my idea with Eleanor's input, she and my granddaughter do short trips here at home, so the CFC might get used as a small MH. Rail, I would love to swap to Budd wheels and a set of nice polished aluminum wheels, I think that might have to wait till everything is built, (is it ever done?). The CFC doesn't have any air right now , I need to (at some point) research my options, maybe someone can jump in with a solution, I have seen some aftermarket systems on hot rods, also some underbody systems on small school buses. When the sleeper gets made over the plan is to put a small table like an rv, reefer and porta potty. I'm sure you have seen how some trucks are, they can be small houses (very small, but when your an over the road trucker they are perfect)
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #536

So technically you are using a small motorhome to tow a fifth wheel which carries the Harleys.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #537

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, Simply put yes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #538
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Air supply.

Terry....You're doing a great job!! I've been watching this thread for a long time and have to say you are ambitious. Built my own FWer for my funny car years ago.

Just a thought on the air supply, assuming you have hydraulic brakes on the TV. If that's a DT466 (sorry I can't remember what your answer was) you should be able to mount an air compressor driven off the gear train. Air tanks on the ones I worked on fit under the fuel tank. Should be a simple plumb from the air compressor to a air dryer and then the tanks. Should be enough to supply an air ride system and anything else you might want to add.

Keep up the good work.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #539

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Ken, Thanks!, I'm not so much ambitious as I just retired and don't know enough to slow down . I worked one full time job AND owned my own Motorcycle/auto repair shop, I just keep busy, only its for me and DW now. The TV has air brakes allready, both me and DW have CDL licenses so no problems there. but yes having air on board is a huge advantage.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #540
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Ken, Thanks!, I'm not so much ambitious as I just retired and don't know enough to slow down . I worked one full time job AND owned my own Motorcycle/auto repair shop, I just keep busy, only its for me and DW now. The TV has air brakes allready, both me and DW have CDL licenses so no problems there. but yes having air on board is a huge advantage.
Sorry Terry.....I misunderstood. It's A/C that the TV doesn't have. Not sure if there's enough auxiliary drives on the engine. I don't remember any when I worked for Binder that came through with A/C. Best of luck on a solution. May have to go with a roof unit.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #541

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Ken, no problem, I do that alot , I know they used that engine in alot of trucks, buses and even bucket loaders thru the yrs, the thing is to find the parts now. I might be able to go the way of a belt driven AC compressor, and an aftermarket dash unit.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #542

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Ken, no problem, I do that alot , I know they used that engine in alot of trucks, buses and even bucket loaders thru the yrs, the thing is to find the parts now. I might be able to go the way of a belt driven AC compressor, and an aftermarket dash unit.
Hi Terry, for your cabin A/C you might get with the guys @ Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com They build custom systems for many different applications and some are A/C & heat combined and are controlled wirelessly. They use the conventional belt driven compressors and are complete kits. I can see you enjoy the challenge of fabricating your own additions and mods but thought you might like to check them out. Nice work and keep the pics coming.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #543

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thunderfoot, thanks for the link! I'll contact them to see what they say, might save some time, (would be nice to USE the TH). Today I'm spending time picking up and getting ready for winter, I keep hearing about this Polar Vortex coming down from Canada going to drop temps 30 degs below normal in the next couple of days. might bring some snow here with it. Sooo I guess I can't put it off any longer.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #544

Sounds like you might have to put the electric mini frig in the truck sleeper.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #545

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, I do plan on putting an inverter in with two big batteries already in it should run it
Old 11-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #546

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

If you are not using that sofa, why not build your own base (for a sofa) on the other side. Inside that put your water heater and heat vent (if you will be using one). Maybe also a slide out drawer at far end away from sink for storage. Buy a used couch (remove legs or base ) and put on top of this. You can build anything so you can mod this to your specifications. You could put it on either side really but I was thinking that putting it on sink side would allow you to have a recliner on the other side as well as another cabinet for storage and meal prep counter.

Course, you could build that on the sink side too and put the water heater in the bottom of the cabinet. Even a 18 inch cabinet would give you work room in the kitchen.

Depends on how much storage you want or need as to how much wall footage you have to use. Drop down counters are nice, but so is a solid counter cabinet.

Just some ideas thrown out there.

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote