Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #5503

Retired Fire Service RVer's
DoorBreaker,
Very good info, glad that you came on board.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #5504
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just be sure to inspect under those rubber floor mats each spring. Had rubber floor covers in our Scout. Water WILL find a way under them. Pulled the coverings up after about 5 years - rust, rust and more rust.

Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
^^^^ we don't seem to have killer cones but Killer Pot Holes.
Terry
I swear I meet you twin today in a Manards parking lot builder wise. I dropped Joe off and I went to park the 64 and saw this in the far reaches of said parking lot. So cool I can't upload more pic's so will try another post. Its a old International School bus, he dropped the sides 3 feet for basement storage, he has a pull out grill, the ac unit slides out of the other side just like a slide does. He gave us a tour and it was so cool all led lights. The taillights were so neat chromed Leds all out side lights were LED"s except headlights but they were chromed also. Great work Just like yours Terry. Thanks for sharing your passion.
I told him about irv2.com and the forums here so I hope he come's and enjoys the site like all of us.
I'll try to up load the other Pic's.
Tim

won't let me upload other pic, This bus was so neat,
Going to try and get to mine tomorrow Oyea
BIRTHDAY BOY,
Tim
This is the nicest school bus conversion I've ever seen normally they're hack jobs by hobos . That definitely has me considering using a school bus to convert into an rv. The only thing I would do is probably fill in the entire length of the windows with sheet metal then go back and install framless rv windows.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #5506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Charles, I'm going with your evening explanation. DB, Thanks for the Info! ID of plastic has always been the hard part for me for sure, that explains alot, Thanks! Might have showers again this afternoon, hard to plan work, (especially when you work outside).

It can be a real interesting thing at times because they like to hide the stamps. If you want to try welding the HF 96464 isn't a bad practice unit. The rods they sell are ok but not available in good colors. If you want to jump in with a better unit the Seelye 63 is a good iron, just order a couple extra heat elements. (HF actually sold the same unit but dropped it in favor of the newer ones)

The all in one units work but they are heavy and VERY hot.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #5507

Winnebago Owners Club
Ron - have used sugru for repairs. Goes on easy, easy to form and is sandable and paintable. Comes in colors so might be close to the paint color so chips are not too visible. Repaired some scratches on Janet's bike (ABS fender on her trike) a number of years ago. Still holding in there.

Only down side of the product is it has a shelf life.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldabl.../dp/B008URBC9I
https://sugru.com/buy/
Old 06-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #5508

Gulf Streamers Club
Gordon, I looked at this stuff and it looks interesting. You say it is sandable and paintable? Since it forms rubber when cured and is flexible, wondering how one would be able to sand and paint?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #5509

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Gordon, I looked at this stuff and it looks interesting. You say it is sandable and paintable? Since it forms rubber when cured and is flexible, wondering how one would be able to sand and paint?

ronspradley
My recollection was it was fairly hard sort of like the plastic covering you get on pliers, etc and sanded very well. Came out nice and smooth and the paint is still hanging in there.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #5510

Winnebago Owners Club
Bigh Difference

So my day was busy again. Going to do some riding so felt the need to spruce up the bike.

So this was the start. It definitely was due for some improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Dirty 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	131632

After several applications of AutoSol the result was better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Done.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	131633

Tomorrow will be working on Janet's bike. I have not done her wheels in a long time.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #5511

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lets see after 6:00 pm So...... Good Evening, Jay M. thanks for the reminder, it's not a bad job to pull the seats and take up the vinyl floor so will have to do that.....pull plow off in the spring, check under floor mats As a body shop I had a couple of scouts that was used as a rural mail carrier, they had been converted to right hand drive, I was always repairing something on them, they got used hard. smcox1, the biggest thing I see with a bus is the headroom and width, by the time you add insulation ect they start to get small inside. DB, you sound like you might be a bodyman, really, thanks for the info, I have been out of that type of work for a long time. Gordon, jeez I'll bring mine up for you to clean, (it's actually not dirty now) but the chrome could use a going over . Well my son brought home plywood scraps last night so I had to put them to good use so I built a back wall in the paint booth, will be complete w/a fan to suck out fumes.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #5512

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Lets see after 6:00 pm So...... Good Evening, Jay M. thanks for the reminder, it's not a bad job to pull the seats and take up the vinyl floor so will have to do that.....pull plow off in the spring, check under floor mats As a body shop I had a couple of scouts that was used as a rural mail carrier, they had been converted to right hand drive, I was always repairing something on them, they got used hard. smcox1, the biggest thing I see with a bus is the headroom and width, by the time you add insulation ect they start to get small inside. DB, you sound like you might be a bodyman, really, thanks for the info, I have been out of that type of work for a long time. Gordon, jeez I'll bring mine up for you to clean, (it's actually not dirty now) but the chrome could use a going over . Well my son brought home plywood scraps last night so I had to put them to good use so I built a back wall in the paint booth, will be complete w/a fan to suck out fumes.
We have a spot waiting for the bikes in the garage and a bed for you and Eleanor. These are a little more work because they are aluminum but I like them shiny. I sat on my hiney making them shiny. Good grief. I just became a poet, need practice though!! LOL

We converted a 67 passenger bus years ago. Photos I will have to find. They are some where but not digital. We ended up raising the roof 13" to get the clearance. We put in a 6" floor that we ran duct work through and insulated really well. Built our cupboards from scratch including doors and drawers. Used it for winter vacations to ski areas. Brings back some very good memories.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:47 AM   #5513

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm with Terry on the old bus's being converted! The best way is to get one done already with the roof raised, and the motor upgraded to one with the power you will need now days with all the stuff we all have to bring with us! And they are all 96"s wide, so they get narrow really quick, when you start adding couches and chairs! Some of the newer Blue Birds are wide bodys, and one of them would be my choice. But they still command a high price, and are out of my price range!
Terry, good to get free plywood, and a very good use for it to go in the back wall of the booth!! Rail!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #5514

Terry
Free plywood ,,,,oooooooooooooooo !

The wet stuff hit here yesterday
and the stupid roof leaked , again.

The property owner showed up at the truck garage
and I gotta move , again.

Psiatic is gettin' pinched,,,,, again.

WT............?

Back to perfect weather mid-high 70s and low 60s at night.

DB
Knowing the different plastics and how to deal with them is some good stuff.....don't ever go away !
Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #5515

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, someday I'll take you up on it . Rail, Popeye, yup almost got it done, it ain't purty but it's "functional". Popeye, get ready for more rain, their saying tomorrow afternoon for some belly washers . We've been running parts today......got almost all the body parts to repair the rust, missing one panel, so stay tuned we'll be putting it together this weekend.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #5516

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I'm with Terry on the old bus's being converted! The best way is to get one done already with the roof raised, and the motor upgraded to one with the power you will need now days with all the stuff we all have to bring with us! And they are all 96"s wide, so they get narrow really quick, when you start adding couches and chairs! Some of the newer Blue Birds are wide bodys, and one of them would be my choice. But they still command a high price, and are out of my price range!
Terry, good to get free plywood, and a very good use for it to go in the back wall of the booth!! Rail!
Well of course I would definitely put some big slides on both sides.