Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #5615

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I figured that you would, but just checking in case it slipped by, lol.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #5616

Yeah all of the rust belt states eat vehicles quick, and they keep coming up with even faster ways to cause them to rot. The new chloride liquid they spray on the roads is great, Stuff wicks into the body seams and soaks into the foam they spray between body panels. You might as well wash your vehicle with sandy saltwater.

For the folks working with resin. The hardener is pure MEK, NOT something you really want to get on your skin.
Also if you need to shape it and the matting isn't stiff enough you can use either stainless or aluminum screen. BUT you have to be sure the aluminum gets completely covered with resin to seal it in. Cut and form the mesh then trim it to fit just inside the hole, or if you are repairing thick 'glass grind a lip the mesh can set on.
Back in the "old days" I built a complete ultra-lite 68 Camaro drag body using chicken wire and 'glass. Laid the wire on a body panel, shaped it until it fit, then put waxed paper on the panel, dipped a layer of matting in the resin, laid it out, set the wire on top, then another layer of saturated matting. Let it cure, trimmed as needed and glassed them all together. From 10 feet away it looked "normal" right up until one person lifted the entire body up!!! Total weight was under 100 pounds... These days you can buy a molded version that runs about 45 pounds, Just don't sneeze hard !

Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #5617

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, DB, Thanks for jumping in I forgot about warning about the MEK, Nice job on the body, that's whats nice about working with glass there is so many ways to use it. I have a Firebird body setting in a shed that's all glass ect the nose and tail, (it's an old road race body) super light, (they outlawed them where we raced) it was a "store bought" Need to replace two crossmembers, surprise surprise (not really) but was kinda hoping.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #5618

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Working on repairing the tail section of the frame. Laid and welded a new strip of steel then boxed that section. now to do the other side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0720161137.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	606.5 KB
ID:	133676   Click image for larger version

Name:	0720161117.jpg
Size:	637.7 KB
ID:	133679  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0720161136.jpg
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	133680  
Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #5619

Looks good Terry....I just need some getoffyourbuttadone medicine so I could get some stuff done around my place...lol
Old 07-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #5620

MK,
That's funny, we all get that way, except maybe Terry and Lloyd. I have been contemplating washing and waxing the 5er and the truck, but the dust from the construstion equipment going by, I said the heck with it, I'll do it when they are done, that way it will stay clean all winter. Just too hot to work on removing the decal strips on the 5er, I will do that this fall and winter.
Terry,
Frame is now better than new, and will last another 10 years, after that you might not care, lol. Hopefully you will be down with me or out with Gordon before the 10 years is up.
Frank
Old 07-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #5621

Not at the rate he is going...lol too many things to do....lol

Talk about hot heat index is between 108 and Hades...lol...better to stay cool and fall out...lol

Mk
Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #5622

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MK, Thanks, I just keep pluggin along, I don't work like I used to, drives me nuts sometimes. Frank, yup I would say it wouldn't do much good, (washing your rig). I'm just too cheap to buy a new truck, this truck is worth 5500.00 so I could put in 2 or 3000.00 and still come out okay, this rebuild will come out at around a 1000.00, that's doing much needed mechanical repairs that I've let go. I certainly hope I'm down there where it's warm way sooner than 10 yrs. . MK, 108 that's hot, would need AC in the shop.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #5623

Terry, Yeah that body was "disallowed for competition" as well.

Saw your vid on the door hinges. Usual method if the door closes but gaps are off is to tweak it with a striker alignment bar.

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Manufac.../dp/B000JFL8S4

If it's way off you end up cutting and re-welding the body side hinge.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #5624

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, DB, thanks for the tip! , the tool is on order. I did get it closer but it's still off, just couldn't get it where I wanted. I almost cut and rewelded. Here's an update on the PU.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #5625

Another good Video Terry.
Frank
Old 07-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #5626

A few makers should be shot for welded hinges. Just swapping doors can cause headaches. Get hit near the pillar and all bets are off. Easier to cut the bent metal out and weld in a straight one.

Did a crew cab that got hit dead center on the B post. Not real hard hit but it pulled everything on the right side in and took 4 hours of jacking and pulling to get things straight enough the the B could be cut out and replaced. I really miss that "fun".

Have folks asking me all the time "Would you recommend I become a body shop tech?" I usually tell them to become a gigolo or a hooker, it pays better and you don't lose as much money to the pimp.....
Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #5627

I posted the other day and asked advice on my A/C. I figured I would give yall an update. I FINALLY found a mobile RV Tech that was willing to drive all the way out to me. The verdict: one of many problems, the biggest of such is my fan motor is cracked, and my fan blades are broken. The "minor" problem is that my coils got damaged in a hail storm earlier this year. I have the option of getting a new fan, and new motor for $300 to get me through this year, or spending the $1200 to get a brand new A/C. The tech was surprised that a rooftop unit that is 23 years old is still running and cooling.

Ashton
Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #5628

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ashton, as hot as it has been down in Texas, I would go ahead and bite the bullet and put in a new A/C! The 300 dls. or so into a 23 year old A/C would be money you will never get back, and no guaranties that it will work the rest of the season! JMHO! Have you looked at the PPL site for the new A/C? They have some of the best prices going!
My A/C's on Mona are 20 years old and still cooling, but the front one has started draining into the inside of the coach, the drain pan under the roof condenser coil has holes in it, so will need to be replaced. My son figured out he could use the levelers to lean the coach slightly, and the water drains off the side, but when perfectly level, it drains inside, so a new pan, or relining the old one is in order!
Good luck with your decision either way!
Terry, looking really good, and soon the old PU will be looking new again!
Love the videos! Rail!